Licorne (1755) by mtaylor - (POF) - 3/16 - French Frigate (Hahn) - Version 2.0 - TERMINATED

John - I know quite a few women that are great at hiding it.  On a side-note, opiates are alright, if only used in moderation when you need them.  All the hype on the tube tells us they're bad when referencing people that take 20 - 50 a day. In their case, they are bad, and are no doubt, being abused more than likely.

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

George,

I'm sure you're right re opiates, but I'm hyper-sensitive to the issue. My boss's 20 year old son overdosed on OxyContin about a year ago. He was a great, smart, and funny kid and I still miss him. He started out on the pain killers due to a football injury in High School.

Best,

John

Member:

Connecticut Marine Model Society

Nautical Research Guild

Model Ship World

"So we beat on, boats against the current, bourne back ceaselessly into the past" F. Scott Fitzgerald - The Great Gatsby

"If at first you don’t succeed.......skydiving is probably not for you”

Sorry to hear about the boy.  Much too young. :( Oxycontin/oxycodone is one of those pain-killers that was mostly used for dying cancer patients in the past, and is generally over-prescribed by a multitude of doctors.  A very strong and dangerous drug.  I was referring to Vicodin.  Effective if used with common-sense and moderation. 

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

I'm a nurse and I know the good and bad opiated can do Mark take care of the bride of yours and be there for her I will be praying for her betterment I was just giving you a hard time about your build like you said the wood is patient It will be there when you have the time But for now Janet needs your time more God bless you two

All I'll add at this point is that she is on opiates and trying (always to get off).  She has more issues than what's been mentioned but the list is extensive.  The lady is tougher than any 10 Marines I've ever met and at the pain clinic she didn't minimize like she usually does.  We're working our way through this.  

I'm damn glad the wood is patient.  Been trying to get another strake done today and wood just sits there looking at me...  :rolleyes:

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Mark, one of the many problems I have with Chronic Lyme is the unbearable pain. I go to a pain clinic now & they have helped me so much. Opiates are bad if you don't need them but if you are suffering they are very helpful. I pray everything works out for her & she gets the relief she needs - & you too!

Jesse

Current build: Syren : Kit- Model Shipways

Side project: HMS Bounty - Revel -(plastic)

On hold: Pre-owned, unfinished Mayflower (wood)

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

Hi Mark,

Jesse nailed it!!!!! You are a vital part of this site and we're all behind you!!!!!!

Best,

John

Member:

Connecticut Marine Model Society

Nautical Research Guild

Model Ship World

"So we beat on, boats against the current, bourne back ceaselessly into the past" F. Scott Fitzgerald - The Great Gatsby

"If at first you don’t succeed.......skydiving is probably not for you”

Hi Mark,

Sad to read of your Admiral's back problems.... take care of her and yourself as well.

Will say another quiet prayer for a speedy recovery.

Cheers,

Nigel.

Current Build Logs: H.M.S. Triton Cross SectionUSF Confederacy Model Shipways

Completed Log: Red Dragon Artesania Latina

Gallery: Red Dragon: Artesania Latina

Member:  Nautical Research Guild

Hi Mark....so sorry to hear about your wife's health problems,it's no fun watching the one you love in pain....my prayers and thoughts are with your wife and you also....Take good care of her.

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

G'day Mark

I've been suffering from lower back pain for the past 18 years and it's no good. I know what she's going through.

PLEASE don't give into spinal fusion. All the people that I've known has regretted it. Use hot and cold pack, massage with deep heat and bed rest.

The pain clinic was no good for me, I was expelled because my muscles were and still in, a constant state of movement and they couldn't get the needle in the right spot.

As Jesse said, harder drugs are there to use under control by your doctor. They are very good if used wisely, and I was told at the pain clinic when I was there, you can't get hooked on the drugs if you need them. I'm a living example of that.

Keep up her spirits is the best thing you can do!

Cheers

Greg

Edited by Greg the peg leg sailor

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Current log : The Royal Yacht Royal Caroline 1749 1:32 by Greg Ashwood:...

I pray that your loved one heals soon.  Because of my problems I have a fracture in my lower back and understand pain pills.  They come in handy when needed but I will not get behind a wheel or operate a machine when I take one.  The biggest drawback is basically what you used to take for granted no longer works for you and you feel helpless.

David B

I appreciate the comments and insight.  We're pretty sure surgery isn't the answer.  We do need to get her off the opiates due to bowel problems and still get pain relief.  Being in Oregon, we're working on the "alternative" but her back isn't simple due to a lifetime of compensation.  We think the pain clinic is on the right path.... we'll see.

Back on topic... here's a pic... 6 more strakes to go and one (at the bow) will need to be a drop plank...  <sigh>  I tried to get it without one.. but not going to happen.

post-76-0-21829400-1447959608_thumb.jpg

Edited by mtaylor

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Starting to look like a lady of the sea Mark, her skirts are almost completed.

cheers

Pat

Edited by BANYAN

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Keep on, Mark. You and Admiral will pass temporary dificulties well

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

Mark that planking looks great Now explain to me is it more difficult to plank on a scratch build or on a kit Seems like your being tedious with the strips but is it because it's difficult or because your just being more of a perfectionist due to pride in scratching

Doing a beautiful job on the hull planking. So neat and after a sanding it will be outstanding! Wish I can do it that as good!

Greg

Edited by Greg the peg leg sailor

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

I'll be honest, right now to my eye, it needs a lot of work but we'll see.  I'm hoping that just some heavy sanding as the planks were not all same thickness.   I ran out and when I cut some more, I was off a tad... I'm happy though. 

Mark that planking looks great Now explain to me is it more difficult to plank on a scratch build or on a kit Seems like your being tedious with the strips but is it because it's difficult or because your just being more of a perfectionist due to pride in scratching

Good grief.  I just realized I've been working on this hull planking since January...

More difficult.. hmm.... I'm trying to do it scale?  ;)  Ok..seriously, the kits that I did had much wider planks and were all double planked hulls so on this one I get one shot at making it right.  No sanding filler, no fudging.  The Triton cross-section was pretty straight forward.   And yes, I'm trying to be a perfectionist... :)

This one... I want it to scale and as close as I can.. a personal challenge and French planking of this this period has some challenges.  The planking thins out as it approaches the turn of the bilge. It starts out thick and thins down.  There's no distinct wales like on the English/American ships of the period. Only a "step". The ebony strake at the bottom of the gunports is the first wale plank.

The wale strakes are all 3/16" wide with some tapering at the bow and definitely some unique twists at the stern.   The lower strakes are all 1/8" wide and taper at the bow.  Towards the stern, they taper again and then go wide at the rudder post. 

On the bright side... thanks to the help and advice from people here at MSW the planking is almost finished.

Edited by mtaylor

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

I feel like a dummy after reading that. If you understand it I'm sure you can do it!

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

Hmm..... Let me simplify.... here's a picture. 

The planks between the first wale and the last are all wide and thick.  Starting after the first, they all get thinner until they're at the same thickness as the  lower planks.  They also change in width.  I've taken a bit of liberty on the width change as I wasn't sure I could match the width at each strake.  If I were doing this again <cold shiver up the spine> I would as I'm more confident and comfortable with what's needed.

As for the tapering I mentioned, I lined off the hull, figured out how many strakes I needed and marked every frame to show the width.  Do to the shape of hull, the planks take some "unique" twists, turns and tapering.  It's not a uniform taper.

I hope this helps.  If not, let me know and I'll try to show it differently.   The other ships (kits) I've done, and the ships I have plans for (English and American) don't have a lot "strangeness" to them by comparison.

Edit:  Click the picture to make it bigger and readable.

post-76-0-17258500-1447984974_thumb.jpg

Edited by mtaylor

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Mark,

I don't know how I missed this one? Hmmm now following along SO nice..

Will go back in a.m. with 2 no 3 coffees and catch up to page 1 (:-)

Michael

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

Planking definitely looks super good.  I hope for the best for Janet and give her my best.

Cheers, 

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

A year well spent, mate.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

G'day Mark

Did you say that you were trying to be a perfectionist! ........I would never have guessed. Again well done.

Havagooday

Greg

I get it now (told you I feel like a dummy) :huh: