Licorne (1755) by mtaylor - (POF) - 3/16 - French Frigate (Hahn) - Version 2.0 - TERMINATED

Hi Mark,

Lovely planking mate and the colour variation looks great.

With regard to the use of steel wool, I'm with Bob on this, you could also put a good wax finish on, the hull colours would really stand out.

If you do go with the steel wool mate, wear a crash hat, (protection from the frying pan). :D  :D

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

Steel wool can cause problems with finish as well. Either use bronze wool or run a magnet over everything after using steel. You'll be surprised at how many particles will be picked up!

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Mark, That looks great!

Regarding steel wool, Druxy beat me to it. Try a maroon scrubby pad instead of steel wool that way if you do put a second coat over it you dont run the risk of the steel rusting and causing stains. You can get various grades of pads at Rockler. Home depot caries the maroon, you may have other options where you live.

Sam

Current Build Constructo Enterprise

late to the party Mark............congratz on such a wonderful job!   the hull looks great!   the wood may have been more porous in those areas......I wouldn't sweat over it.........unless you inspected all of the wood,  it would be hard to get a uniform color.   now you need to get the other side looking the same,  then you can raise that glass.   I'll be raising one for ya!  ;)     sweet look'in finish!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Defy the admiral?  Whoa, that's bold!   If it was my hull I would probably not use steel wool because of the fine metal particulate it leaves behind, but rather go for the 3M Scotch-Brite hand pads.  The maroon colored  #7447 is a silicon carbide general purpose pad that has the grit equivalence of 360-400.  This is the steel wool equivalent to #00-#000.  If you can find it  you can follow that up with the light gray colored #7448 ultra fine pad with a grit of 800-1000.  It also is a silicon carbide abrassive, the equivalance to #0000 steel wool.

Tom

Edited by wyzwyk

Beautiful stuff mark!  That's really, really nice looking work.  Something to envy for sure for those of us who struggle mightily with hull planking.  

And of course - particularly given my recent post regarding furling or unfurling the Santa Maria's main sail - I'm predisposed toward agreeing with the Admiral.  :-)

- Bug

Truly remarkable job Mark, especially considering it's a single planking job! Wow! Let us know what you end up buffing it with please.

Best, Ian

Mark,

I don't know if you've written something about this. But I don't have any idea, wha do you do the whole work of a POF model (or a Hahn styled frameing) and plank both sides of the hull?

The planking job looks really nice

Christian,

As with all things.. Admiralty orders.  "All ships are to be finished.  Not left looking like they need more work."  And it looks like this one will be getting sails as she's been pushing on that.  So.........  orders is orders. 

I've got a pile of different grades of Scotch-Brite that I forgot I had.  Bought them for a different project.   Hmm...  we'll see.  Once I get the other side done...   It's actually looking less glossy today so maybe it wasn't fully cured when I took the pictures.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hi Mark,

Lovely planking mate and the colour variation looks great.

With regard to the use of steel wool, I'm with Bob on this, you could also put a good wax finish on, the hull colours would really stand out.

If you do go with the steel wool mate, wear a crash hat, (protection from the frying pan). :D  :D

Be Good

mobbsie

And ear muffs

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Current log : The Royal Yacht Royal Caroline 1749 1:32 by Greg Ashwood:...

DITTO ON GRANT!!!! SWEET!

John

Member:

Connecticut Marine Model Society

Nautical Research Guild

Model Ship World

"So we beat on, boats against the current, bourne back ceaselessly into the past" F. Scott Fitzgerald - The Great Gatsby

"If at first you don’t succeed.......skydiving is probably not for you”

Looking just beautiful Mark.  Love the colors.  

Cheers, 

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

You're absolut right, Mark. Order is order.

I only got the order to finish my sloop, before I start another project. :rolleyes:  So I am very happy with my admirality

Edited by AnobiumPunctatum

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

Wow, reading through builds like this I'm not sure whether to be inspired or just give up! Great work.

Inspired,of course!

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

Thanks for the "likes" and the comments.

Yes.. Admiral's orders are not to be questioned.  Then to, part of my Christmas present arrived today, and that re-enforced the following of orders.   Happy day is coming... the rest of the present is due in tomorrow.  

Wow, reading through builds like this I'm not sure whether to be inspired or just give up! Great work.

Please don't give up.  I find a bit of patience, a bit of stubbornness, and a willingness to scrap something and start over goes a long way.  This really is my first scratch build of a full ship.  The Triton was a good learning experience and confidence builder.  I'm not perfect but trying....  For the record, this is my second shot at this ship.  The first was sent to the breakers yard due to stupidity and not thinking on my part.

Mark
Beautiful planking!
One of your comments seem to have gone unnoticed. I have the same problem now and can't explain it. My favourite solution was using sawdust & glue for patching up gaps. Strangely it worked for a while but now I end up with black spots rather than the planking colour. No idea why. I tried it with white PVA and also with yellow Triton. I've got a hunch that this phenomen is somehow in connection with the wood itself. On Rattlesnake the planking material was river birch and it was OK. Now for Le Canot I planked in pear and I end up with black spots. Strange.
Janos

Janos,

That's interesting you had problems with pear also.  Very strange.

I'm new to this one Mark. What a beautiful  planking job. Seeing work like this is intimidating at best. I could only dream of doing something like this some day.

Paul

Thanks Paul..  See my answer to Etcher. 

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hi Mark

You've got me intrigued now! Did you get to peek a look at your preside? Can you divulge? On the other hand, being an ex-Marine, you wouldn't have peeked, would you?

Cheers

Patrick

I'm intrigued as well.

A good soldier knows when to surrender or to fight!

Greg

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Current log : The Royal Yacht Royal Caroline 1749 1:32 by Greg Ashwood:...

Hi Mark

You've got me intrigued now! Did you get to peek a look at your pressie? Can you divulge? On the other hand, being an ex-Marine, you wouldn't have peeked, would you?

Cheers

Patrick

Sure, I can divulge... but not take pictures or "try it out".  I was allowed to inspect the contents and then it has to be put away for the next 7 days and a wake-up.   :o    A new laser tube for the laser cutter.  It will boost power from roughly 32W steady state to 45W steady state.  :)   I'm hoping to cut 3/16" boxwood in one pass at a good rate of speed with minimal  V-ing of the kerf.  If that works... I'll give 1/4" boxwood a shot.  I felt (and so did some others) that I needed more power.  Anyway, the extension for the cabinet is arriving tomorrow.  Need to modify the case as the old tube is 850mm and the new tube 1000mm long.. and a bit bigger in diameter.  

Hmmm....If I got a tube big enough, I wonder if I could build a Death Star?  ;)

I'm intrigued as well.

A good soldier knows when to surrender or to fight!

Greg

Surrender?  No.. attack in a different direction... err.. hmm.... Admiral... yep... surrender.

Edited by mtaylor

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

I'm still thinking sharks with laser beams!!!! After all, you have an extra now.

Dr. Evil

post-18302-0-90756400-1450575729.jpg

Edited by Landlocked123

Member:

Connecticut Marine Model Society

Nautical Research Guild

Model Ship World

"So we beat on, boats against the current, bourne back ceaselessly into the past" F. Scott Fitzgerald - The Great Gatsby

"If at first you don’t succeed.......skydiving is probably not for you”

Thanks for the "likes" and comments.

That magic milestone...  All planked, sanded, and one coat wipe-on poly.  I do have one small area that needs some work as it has a stain.  I don't think it's blood...

Lessons learned at this point.. many.  :)  

1) I should go a bit wider than the 1/8" width even if it's out of scale.  Just for the eye appeal and the ease of working with the wood.

2) Use a "harder" wood, like boxwood.  Pear deforms and dings easily.

3) Definitely not pear for gap-filling.   Some areas went black, other areas look good.  Strange stuff.  I played with some scrap and it did the same thing.  Either that or not use the poly and sawdust in the gap filling and live with the glue and sawdust.

4) A bit more care in the framing and fairing. I found some areas just weren't proper and had to fiddle with the frames before continuing.

Now to attend to the stern... which should be fun area and not as tedious.

post-76-0-55421600-1450746475_thumb.jpg

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

That Looks Fantastic Mark, Beautiful work, I am looking forward to seeing the Transom come together. Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year 

Best Regards,

Pete

"may your sails be full of wind and the sun on your back"

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

N.G Herreshoff 12 1/2 Scratch Build 3/4" = 1' - 0" Scale

Completed Builds :

Volvo 65 Farr Yacht Design

Herreshoff Alerion

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

Although difficult to work with - it sure is beautiful looking wood.

-Bug

The Wipe-On Poly gave the planking a real nice finish Mark. Your diligence has paid off admirably.!  :)

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Nice work, Mark. If I was you, I'd be eagerly cutting the hull free from the base board...but then again, I'm sometimes not the most patient guy.

All the best to you and Janet for Christmas and the New Year. Happy health to Janet as well!

Cheers

Patrick

Sweet looking Mark!  The pear wood may have given you some problems but the wipe-on poly sure looks nice.  Getting the hull planked, sanded, and finished is a really nice present to yourself this Christmas.  This should psych you up big time for what you want to do this coming year.  I want to wish you and your family a very Merry Christmas, and I hope 2016 is all you hope it will be.