Licorne (1755) by mtaylor - (POF) - 3/16 - French Frigate (Hahn) - Version 2.0 - TERMINATED

I know you and John are right and we are our own worst critics.  I was showing the admiral the model today.  After looking it over carefully, She said she liked the caulking.  What????????????????? :D  :D :D  :D  :D  

So no more beating myself up. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hello guys,where can I find how to make stained/colored glue?Nice blog and build!!

Zoltan

I've matched colors by sanding the same type of wood and making a fine dust that I'd mix with stainable PVA glue. Good for repairing splinters, gouges, or even building up small areas of an edge. If you want odd colors, you can try food coloring. It'll mix with PVA, and or water.

Edited by GLakie

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Thanks for the "likes" and the comments.

Hello guys,where can I find how to make stained/colored glue?Nice blog and build!!

Zoltan

Zoltan,

The idea for this is EdT's.  I think it's in his Naiad log.   Basically, paint pigment (about a teaspoon per 8 oz. of PVA).  Make a slurry with a bit of water and PVA and then mix well with the rest of the glue. 

Hmmm Perhaps you should look into a Fiber Optic laser upgrade?????

:P :P

Merry Merry and Happy Happy

Sam

That's not an upgrade Sam. That's a whole new cutter and pricey...  champagne (Dom Perignon) on a cheap beer budget.  :D  :D :D  

Well.. the cutter upgrade is done, I'm happy with it.   Now I'm mocking up the quarter galleries and the stern trims since they're tied together and need to flow together.  The pictures of the Hahn model  look like what's on the plans (a bit grainy in black and white but no details on the "how").  The Le Venus and Belle Poule galleries are slightly different in that they don't sweep up towards the stern in a gentle curve.  The NMM plans show the curve but again no details.  Same for between the stern windows.. no details on the NMM plans.  Hahn just did plain wood where as the monographs show a fillister type of decoration between the windows.  Decisions, decisions.. 

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

....told you about that 'inner critic'........he'll bring you down man!  ;)    you should be looking up!  she's looking great!   still can't wait till she's finally off the slip and on her Keel.   those darker marks ain't nothing.......once you put the Gundgeons, pintles, and rudder in place.......and then add the depth markers,  you'll never see them.   Janet's a smart lady  :D  :D

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

A bit of an update.  First off, here's hull "right-side up".... I'm liking the way she looks.

post-76-0-35603300-1451541506_thumb.jpg

I removed some of the build board material around the transom area to give me some working room. If you'll go back to previous pictures, the transom is actually glued to the build board.   When I removed the board, I found some problems with the transom.  Not a show stopper or a big problem.   Some fairing/sanding and maybe removal/replacement of some of the small framing will fix it nicely.  Once fixed, I can continue on with the planking and build up of the transom.

post-76-0-10392900-1451541665_thumb.jpgpost-76-0-50121300-1451541676_thumb.jpg

I also finally took a good look at the interior.  I held off sanding and fairing it because I knew my planking clamps were going to cause <ahem> issues, shall we say.   Now is also the time to fair it out and fix any problems.  I'm not seeing any serious problems, just a lot of sanding and fairing.  So this area, along with the transom is being attended to.  I also wanted to get this out of the way at this point as when I install the galleries, stern windows, etc. removing the sanding dust would be a real problem if I waited to sand until they were done.  Another reason is, I don't want to damage anything with the handling needed during sanding. 

post-76-0-58977200-1451541849_thumb.jpgpost-76-0-67751700-1451541864_thumb.jpg

I have to admit I'm pretty damn happy right now.  The problems are not as bad as I thought they'd be and overall, looking pretty good.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Hi Mark

She looks mighty fine to me,that is certainly a lot of work that you are doing.

The color and look of the hull is absolutely beautiful.

Enjoy the sanding.

Hooroo Chris

Wont be long before you will want to cut her out of her cradle Mark.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

She looks lovely Mark - well done! I don't envy you the sanding job ahead, but it will be worth the effort.

She looks great, Mark. Some (minor) fairing and sanding issues on the inside you'll always encounter ... part of the 'game' This is a very nice ending to a year's build and a good starting point for the next!!

Best wishes to you and the misses

Cheers

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Very nice hull color! Cannot wait to see her free!

Jean-Philippe (JP)

Current build: SyrenRattlesnake (Scratch built)

:dancetl6:Please visit and subscribe to my YouTube Channel

On Hold: MayflowerHMS Victory Cross Section
Completed:   Armed Virginia Sloop, Viking ship,  The Flyer, Pilot BoatKrabbenkutterMarie-JeanneSloup, The Smasher

Congrats Mark,

I can imagine how rewarding the "right side up" sight felt. 

Best wishes for 2016 : good health in the first place and much fun while accomplishing this wonderful project.

Kind regards

Christian

"The original always beats the copy"

(supportive statement)

G'day Mark and Janet

Happy new year and don't worry about the black marks between the planks: they just like corking! Leave it that way.

Is your DEATH STAR working better now, I'm very curious!

Again havahappynuyear from down under.

Greg

Edited by Greg the peg leg sailor

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Current log : The Royal Yacht Royal Caroline 1749 1:32 by Greg Ashwood:...

Hi Mark,

Congrats and I especially love the first picture. Wonderful to see her the correct way up...must be a great way to end the year after so much work.

I know Admiral's orders specified full planking on the outside...I am keeping my fingers crossed, those same orders allow that great interior framing work to remain visible!

Happy New Year!

Cheers,

Nigel.

Current Build Logs: H.M.S. Triton Cross SectionUSF Confederacy Model Shipways

Completed Log: Red Dragon Artesania Latina

Gallery: Red Dragon: Artesania Latina

Member:  Nautical Research Guild

.......big tease!    looks sharp.........love the shots of her interior.  you should be proud of what you've accomplished.  very nicely done indeed!

have a happy new year Mark......and your admiral as well  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Hi Mark

You must be so pleased to see her from a different perspective. The colour of the hull is beautiful mate.

Here's hoping that both Janet and you enjoy the NY celebrations and my very best wishes to you both.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

A bit of an update.  First off, here's hull "right-side up".... I'm liking the way she looks.

I have to admit I'm pretty damn happy right now.  The problems are not as bad as I thought they'd be and overall, looking pretty good.

Things always look better right side up.   :blink: As you said, it has to feel pretty darn good to make something so nice.  You are on the verge of making it too perfect.  If you cross the line then it won't look authentic and hand made!!! :D  :D  :D

Incredible job, keep it going.... it motivates us.

Tom

So what was this about blemish lines - can't see them standing up this way ;)  Looks great Mark!

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Thank you for the "likes" and comments.    Sadly, once sanding on the interior is complete, she'll back on her head for me to continue working the exterior.  I'm still a long way off from cutting her loose but I will be remove selected framing between the ship and build board when I need access.  I've done some checking and for the most part, it looks like the nubs that added to the framing before cutting are going to work out when it's time to install the deck clamps. 

Greg,

I've not done a full power test yet, but the DeathStar is indeed working better.  The kerf is less and the "V"ing that one sees is minimal.  I've only tested on some 3/16" cherry and boxwood but will give 1/4" a shot as soon as possible. 

I hope everyone has a wonderful new year and that the wonderful continues throughout the year.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

"Pretty darn happy," and well you should be with such beautiful results.  Hey, we all encounter a few minor problems so why should you be different?  :)  ;)

Very well done mark and you and your dear bride have a great 2016 and in good health.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Very nice work Mark!  Happy New Year to you and your loved ones!

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

You have done a lovely piece of work so far Mark.  I can just imagine how the hull will look when you put a finish on it.

David B

Echo-ing everyone else, beautiful work Mark. Nicely done!

- Bug