Licorne (1755) by mtaylor - (POF) - 3/16 - French Frigate (Hahn) - Version 2.0 - TERMINATED

Mark,

Despite Robin's findings on the coat, you have made an enormous improvement - the coat too, as it was missing in your initial setup ... To take another try at that rudder coat seems the rght thing to do ... however, have you considered why the rudder coat might be left off in those other builds ... maybe it had to do with the unnatural look at the scale due to the limitations of the fabric ... you might consider a cooking adage: If it's not good (enough), don't put it on the plate ... would you really miss it if it's not on ...

Cheers

Edited by cog

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Mark,

I think your rudder redo has been quite successfully redone...."done" being the operative word. I think the coat is a good representation whether you take a another stab at or not. Perhaps a Coleman lantern mantel dyed in tea would give it the sagging heaviness of weathered canvas. Thread count or size would not be as important to the scale as would the cloths ability to "hang".

She's looking quite beautiful my friend, you're courting her well ;)

Bill

Passion is Patience...and I am a carpenter in any scale.

Current build;  Endurance - 1:70 scale, Occre

Current build;    H.M.S. Surprise - 1796, 1:48 A L

I am by no means an authority on rudder-coats Mark, but yours seems to look fine and match it's surrounding area to me! Having said that, I'd have to ask if, in reality, it wouldn't be a darker, more tar-like color?  :)

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Hi ya Mark,

Found a pic I took of l'Hermione's rudder coat and the security chain details. I think your present coat looks darn good, but if you want to do a re-do, a picture might be worth something to you. I know l'Hermione was 25 years after Licorne, but things didn't change all that quickly, back then.

post-1377-0-81839400-1460814676_thumb.jpg

It's greased, sewn, leather. The maitre d'equipage (sailing master/bosun) says it's quite rugged, long-wearing, and flexible, so long as it's conditioned/greased regularly. Today, they use a Lexol type conditioner, but back in the day they would use the grease skimmed of the top of the soup vats (like British Navy slush) and hang poor Pierre out the stern port with a bucket of the stuff and a hand mop. :D

John

Thanks for the "likes", the "comments", and the help.

The rudder coat hasn't been forgottten.  I've been distracted by household project and probably will continue to be for a couple of weeks.  Plus there's the quarter galleries research and figuring them out.

I'm looking at a couple of ideas based on my skill level and what I can push on...  From worst case to best case... worst: take them off,  almost as bad: leave as is.  These two are unacceptable to me.    So best options are 1) totally re-do. 2) Add the draping via bog paper and glue.  3) And lastly, try painting with highlights and lowlights.  I'm still researching this thing but it appears that it falls under the "standard practices" of the time and there's not much said.  So I'm investigating option 2)...  I think I can do that and give it some drape and "wrinkles".

Being French, some things were lost in the Revolution and then more during WWII.   What I have is that during this time frame it was canvas, tarred.  I've looked at pine tar which is closest thing I can find to Stockholm Tar, and it's definitely not black.  Leather has been mentioned but at this point in time, canvas seems prevalent.  The shape the material was cut to is also never mentioned or shown.  The only source/bit of information with any detail has so far been the TFFM books.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks Robin.  I have seen that one.   I think my problem is wrapping my mind around what would the coat look like if it were removed from the rudder and laid flat.  I think I can make it look right, just need to find the time to play with materials and fiddly bits.

Edited by mtaylor

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

It probably wouldn't lay very flat with all that gunk on it! If you have The Fully Framed Model, Volume II, there is a plan of a rudder coat (British, but the French couldn't have been that different) on page 289 with description of how it was put together and installed.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

I used that as one of main references, Druxey as it was the only reference I could find.   I'll keep wrestling with it until I get it right.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

good to see your attempt at making the rudder coat........sad to see that your not happy with it.   I agree that it's not an easy aspect to add given the scale.  I like what you've done.......I only took one stab with the one I did for the Gothenborg.....and I painted it with flat enamel.  fingers crossed that you'll get better results,  should you choose to redo  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

post-76-0-81422900-1460942012.gif  Hold fire.. hold fire...   I just had a light bulb moment.  The two working neurons I have left just talked to each other.    I've got one made up that I'm tweaking but so far it looks like it'll fill the bill.   

I just realized that I'm not "blousing the coat" like one blouses one's pants in the military....   post-76-0-00445300-1460942260.gif

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

I think I got it.  Or are at least darn close.  If not, I'll do another one.  

post-76-0-45800300-1460949916_thumb.jpg

Edited by mtaylor

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Hmm....  Here's the area that needs the rudder coat... between the two red areas.  It's fairly long.  There's two "slots" on each side of the stern post.  Maybe if I fill those in.....   ????    In fact, I think that will do the trick.  

It was a very bad decision on my part to plank the counter before installing the stern post.   Lesson learned.

post-76-0-73544700-1460960407_thumb.jpg

Edited by mtaylor

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

On my royal caroline, I used a tissue paper for blow the nose of which I removed one folds and to add some diluted wood glue has the water and of the brown gouache, after drying the result is nice

Edited by ofencer29350

Of the bank I look at an ocean of pleasure, or the tumult attracts you, this global movement will be your tipcart!

current build:   royal caroline

buid finished:  la recouvrancehttp://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/3025-la-recouvrance-by-ofencer29350/page-2?hl=recouvrance

Can you not take a piece of leather Mark ??

You can get it in each colour and you can shape it very easy.....

Sjors

Edited by Sjors

Thanks for looking in.   Robin's post on the length of the coat is what tripped my trigger and made me re-think things.  Thanks Robin.

I'm going to try the cloth one last time, just because.   I do have silkspan waiting in the wings.  But first, I need to fix that counter area and I do have a plan and also need to clean up the glue spots on the rudder.  

As mentioned by Gaetan, wood is a possibility.  

Sjors, I think leather would be too thick and stiff.

I am grateful for the advice and the extra sets of eyes.   The wood is forgiving and fixable and I do remind myself of that.  

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

I think a Coleman lantern mantel would be interesting, even if doubled up and stained correctly ;)

Bill

Passion is Patience...and I am a carpenter in any scale.

Current build;  Endurance - 1:70 scale, Occre

Current build;    H.M.S. Surprise - 1796, 1:48 A L

the space your referring to Mark is needed for rudder movement.........maybe it's just me,  but I think you've done better by this one.   it got the wrinkling,  and the fold around the end to give the impression that it's attached to the rudder further into the fold.   I wouldn't change it.  

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Hi Mark

Do you have B. Frohlich's book? Might be worth looking in there to see if he says how he has done it. If I remember I'll look this evening.

Great work by the way! Your dedication to get it right is an example for all of us to follow! :)

Nick

Your rudder coat's going to be even greater Mark!

-Elijah

Current build(s):

Continental Gunboat Philadelphia by Model Shipways

https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/15753-continental-gunboat-philadelphia-by-elijah-model-shipways-124-scale/

Completed build(s):

Model Shipways Phantom

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?showtopic=12376

Member of:

The Nautical Research Guild

N.R.M.S.S. (Nautical Research and Model Ship Society)

Thanks for the suggestions and the advice.  I'm working with the jig and trying some things.  Wood is still an option.

On my royal caroline, I used a tissue paper for blow the nose of which I removed one folds and to add some diluted wood glue has the water and of the brown gouache, after drying the result is nice

Yes tisshu is very good and if one is carfull keeping an eye on the drying one canmanipulait it to. Slow tiller.movement robin

That's my test for today, Robin and Frenchy.   I'm testing on the jig.

O now I recognize an arch bodger when I see one,tacked one to know one,I am a master of bodging now I know we have some thing more incomon as well as stubern old hits.well I'm old robin and a git

When in doubt... we just bodge away, Robin.  :D

Mark, sculpy? Or something similar?
Sam

I'm giving that some serious thought, Sam.  It was on my "drop dead" list.  I"ll be going to Michael's tomorrow and I'll see what's needed to cure it out and also, if it will take glue or epoxy to secure it.

I think a Coleman lantern mantel would be interesting, even if doubled up and stained correctly ;)

Bill

The weave on those is huge, Bill, for the scale I'm working at.  I'm dealing with something that's about 3/4" diameter at the counter and 1/2" tall on the aft side.  The fore side is only 1/8" tall.

the space your referring to Mark is needed for rudder movement.........maybe it's just me,  but I think you've done better by this one.   it got the wrinkling,  and the fold around the end to give the impression that it's attached to the rudder further into the fold.   I wouldn't change it.  

Too late, Denis.  Ripped it off already.   :o

Mark,

If the leather is to stiff just chew on it and it will get flexible...... :D  :D  :D  :D

Sjors

Leather jerky, Sjors?   I was thinking boil it and then make soup.  :D

Hi Mark

Do you have B. Frohlich's book? Might be worth looking in there to see if he says how he has done it. If I remember I'll look this evening.

Great work by the way! Your dedication to get it right is an example for all of us to follow! :)

Nick

Nick,  I looked and only saw the finished product, not a "how" on his method....  I'll have to look again.

Your rudder coat's going to be even greater Mark!

Thanks, Elijah.  I'm hoping... and I won't stop until it is better.   :)

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

I appreciate it, Nick.  I've run into a lot of that "here it is" thing.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

I think this pretty close...   

Here's the jig I've been using along with a pattern.

post-76-0-09787400-1461127939_thumb.jpg

I've cut out the coat from thin cloth that has a light brown stain to emulate the Stockholm Tar and have started the installaton.

post-76-0-94720200-1461127946_thumb.jpg

It's been folded down for trimming and gluing.

post-76-0-33356400-1461127961_thumb.jpg

And the final gluedown.  It bulges nicely but still needs a bit trimming after the glue sets.  The rudder is a slight angle to port and puts just bit twist to the coat.

post-76-0-33185000-1461127969_thumb.jpg

I think I'm onto the quarter galleries....

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

ACE'S MARK!!! Nice going brother man...

Thank You all...

Mario

:piratetongueor4:  :piratetongueor4:

"Each of us is a mixture of some good and some not so good qualities. In considering one's fellow man it's important to remember the good things ... We should refrain from making judgments just because a fella happens to be a dirty, rotten SOB(biscuit) ;) "

My Builds....

BETTEAU WAR OF 1812     BOUNTY LAUNCH(bashed)    CHESAPEAKE BAY FLATTIE

THE SEA of GALILEE BOAT   VICTORIAN STEAM LAUNCH(bashed)    HOWARD CHAPELLE's CRABBING SKIFF

LADY KATHRINE 1812 SCHOONER

Looks good, Mark. The cloth weave looks like a used clothes dryer sheet. I knew you'd do it! :) :)

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild