mtaylor

Licorne by mtaylor - (POF) - 3/16 - French Frigate (Hahn) - Version 2.0 - TERMINATED

the space your referring to Mark is needed for rudder movement.........maybe it's just me,  but I think you've done better by this one.   it got the wrinkling,  and the fold around the end to give the impression that it's attached to the rudder further into the fold.   I wouldn't change it.  

Hi Mark

Do you have B. Frohlich's book? Might be worth looking in there to see if he says how he has done it. If I remember I'll look this evening.

Great work by the way! Your dedication to get it right is an example for all of us to follow! :)

Nick

Thanks for the suggestions and the advice.  I'm working with the jig and trying some things.  Wood is still an option.

On my royal caroline, I used a tissue paper for blow the nose of which I removed one folds and to add some diluted wood glue has the water and of the brown gouache, after drying the result is nice

Yes tisshu is very good and if one is carfull keeping an eye on the drying one canmanipulait it to. Slow tiller.movement robin

That's my test for today, Robin and Frenchy.   I'm testing on the jig.

O now I recognize an arch bodger when I see one,tacked one to know one,I am a master of bodging now I know we have some thing more incomon as well as stubern old hits.well I'm old robin and a git

When in doubt... we just bodge away, Robin.  :D

Mark, sculpy? Or something similar?
Sam

I'm giving that some serious thought, Sam.  It was on my "drop dead" list.  I"ll be going to Michael's tomorrow and I'll see what's needed to cure it out and also, if it will take glue or epoxy to secure it.

I think a Coleman lantern mantel would be interesting, even if doubled up and stained correctly ;)

Bill

The weave on those is huge, Bill, for the scale I'm working at.  I'm dealing with something that's about 3/4" diameter at the counter and 1/2" tall on the aft side.  The fore side is only 1/8" tall.

the space your referring to Mark is needed for rudder movement.........maybe it's just me,  but I think you've done better by this one.   it got the wrinkling,  and the fold around the end to give the impression that it's attached to the rudder further into the fold.   I wouldn't change it.  

Too late, Denis.  Ripped it off already.   :o

Mark,

If the leather is to stiff just chew on it and it will get flexible...... :D  :D  :D  :D

Sjors

Leather jerky, Sjors?   I was thinking boil it and then make soup.  :D

Hi Mark

Do you have B. Frohlich's book? Might be worth looking in there to see if he says how he has done it. If I remember I'll look this evening.

Great work by the way! Your dedication to get it right is an example for all of us to follow! :)

Nick

Nick,  I looked and only saw the finished product, not a "how" on his method....  I'll have to look again.

Your rudder coat's going to be even greater Mark!

Thanks, Elijah.  I'm hoping... and I won't stop until it is better.   :)

I think this pretty close...   

Here's the jig I've been using along with a pattern.

post-76-0-09787400-1461127939_thumb.jpg

I've cut out the coat from thin cloth that has a light brown stain to emulate the Stockholm Tar and have started the installaton.

post-76-0-94720200-1461127946_thumb.jpg

It's been folded down for trimming and gluing.

post-76-0-33356400-1461127961_thumb.jpg

And the final gluedown.  It bulges nicely but still needs a bit trimming after the glue sets.  The rudder is a slight angle to port and puts just bit twist to the coat.

post-76-0-33185000-1461127969_thumb.jpg

I think I'm onto the quarter galleries....

If you don't get that one to your liking, mayby 'Fleece line' could help ... or for that matter mouseline (muslin?) ... - getting old, should have thought about these sooner(!)

Cheers

Mark,

Looks great my friend! You're right about scale. went out to the shop and pulled a mantel out...but would work nicely I think at 1:48 or 1:32! I pledge never to work in 1:64th AGAIN, lol ;)

Beautiful work Mark and way to stick with it!

Bill

Thanks for the likes and the comments.

Looks good, Mark. The cloth weave looks like a used clothes dryer sheet. I knew you'd do it! :) :)

It's actually an old handkerchief that I had in the shop and used it as a shop towel for smaller bits, Ken.  

Great outcome Mark, patience and determination ...I think you have earned an extra tot today :)

cheers

Pat

:cheers:  Thanks, Pat.

That beats carving and painting one. Well done.

Sam

Sam, I think you're right.  

I couldn't find much info on rudder coats when I did mine. Wish I had taken more time to research it before I went ahead & made it. The information we learn from your research is just as pleasing as the work you do.

Jesse

Jesse, that's the great thing about MSW.  Your log was one of the ones I looked at and followed for my rudder coat.  We learn from each other.   :)   It's as Greg and others have said.. rudder coats just aren't often modeled.  I found very few overall.

Hi Mark

Catching up on your great build you sure are doing a super job on her and you serenely are not afraid of re-works , your rudder and coat sure has given you a hard time but your persistence sure has paid off, they both look great,      ENJOY.

Regards   Lawrence