Licorne (1755) by mtaylor - (POF) - 3/16 - French Frigate (Hahn) - Version 2.0 - TERMINATED

Sometimes the thought process is as rewarding as the result of actually building it and you have hit both nails on the head.

Bill

I had to think about this..  you're right.  I'm thinking there might be another and that's the research.

G'day Mark

Been busy for the past 2 weeks and haven't been able to get on and catch up.

Oh, mate great work on your research on the gallery windows. Glad it's you and not me! I think it was you that has a desk plaque quoting something about Apollo 11 like 'we are doing this not because it's easy, but because it's hard'. Or something similar.

So mate the gallery windows are your 'moon'.

havagooday mate

Greg

Aye, it's I who have the Kennedy quote.  The galleries can be my "moon"... I just don't want this to turn into an Apollo 13.   ;)

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Your galleries look great Mark.  I can just imagine the programming and adjustments you had to do to get this end result.  

David B

finally got a chance to really tune in this weekend.........very nice work on the galleries Mark! 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Beautiful galleries Mark. While I echo your thoughts on the abilities of those who build out the frames by hand, don't sell yourself short on the laser cuts - that's a distinct skill in itself. You're doing an excellent job - as with others, I can't wait to see their progress.

-Bug

Thanks for the comments and "likes".

Your galleries look great Mark.  I can just imagine the programming and adjustments you had to do to get this end result.  

David B

It's mostly just fiddly work in Corel Draw.  No programming as such, David.  Which makes me very happy.  :)

Well, all has not been quiet here in the shipyard.  making progress.  On the down side, it is slow, slightly maddening work to translate a 2D drawing into a 3D part....  Luckily, when the first side is done, the second side should go a lot faster.

I've got two of the three windows glazed and in place.  The third is currently somewhere in the workshop with the glazing drying (I'm using liquid glaze).  I've probably cut and re-worked, and re-cut 20 or wo windows to get to this point and I find them very fiddly indeed.

I've started working on the gallery roof(s) and drop(s) for both sides but have nothing to show in photos yet.

So here's the two windows in place.  Feel free to speak up if something is awry while I can still get access to the part.

The slight (ahem) misfit at the bottom of the taffrail where the lower molding meets will be hidden by carvings.  I've started those also....

post-76-0-89707700-1463869933_thumb.jpg

Edited by mtaylor

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Those gallery windows look great Mark; persistence will pay off.  A boon that you o not have to program the drawings (a la CNC); it seems the laser cutter is a great tool/asset to have for this type of work.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

loved reading how you tackled the rudder coats, and the research for the 1/4 galleries 

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

I think... (operative word here is: think) that I got it.  Not as perfect I would like but I've pushed my limits to the extreme.  All three windows are in on the starboard side.  I might (yeah.. sure... he says to himself... I know I will) re-visit these and see if I can make them better after doing the starboard side.  All in all for a first effort at scratching  quarter galleries with minimal plans... I'll give myself a B+.

A bit of cleanup in the shop, and I'll turn this around to the other side.  The next side ought to be a bit faster as I won't be re-cutting windows and reworking everything.  That part has been done. <crosses fingers>

I'm feeling like if I can do these galleries... I'm ready for anything.  Even carving.

post-76-0-00033400-1463952391_thumb.jpg

post-76-0-09536200-1463952397_thumb.jpg

Edited by mtaylor

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

That's an extremely handsome looking quarter gallery Mark, very convincing!

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

what a pleasant thing to come in to see.......the galleries and windows look great Mark!   really super job!  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Great progress Mark; wonderful what a little confidence allows you to do :)

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Really gorgeous work Mark.  Those windows are amazing.  Are they one piece?  Really precise work with the laser cutter.  I've been thinking ahead towards how I will do the windows on my Pegasus, and I think I found the answer - I'll just send the plans to you to do them for me  :rolleyes:

By the way, I think you're ready for carving :)  With all the detail on the model, I think carving would really be the icing on the cake.

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

I really have to echo everyone's comments Mark...... really ,really nice work on the windows...

frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Thanks for all the "likes" and comments.  

I edited my previous post, seems I mixed up "port" and "starboard"....  :blush:

I'm on hold waiting for glazing to dry.  The last window on the port side hit the floor without my knowing it and my foot found it.   I made extras but didn't glaze them.  Well... I am now.  At least I'm not sorting out fitting things, just matching the other side.   :)

Really gorgeous work Mark.  Those windows are amazing.  Are they one piece?  Really precise work with the laser cutter.  I've been thinking ahead towards how I will do the windows on my Pegasus, and I think I found the answer - I'll just send the plans to you to do them for me  :rolleyes:

By the way, I think you're ready for carving :)  With all the detail on the model, I think carving would really be the icing on the cake.

Yes, Mike, those are all one piece windows as are the stern windows.   The dimensions are listed here:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/5339-licorne-by-mtaylor-pof-316-french-frigate-hahn-version-20/?p=412930 for the gallery windows.

There's a picture at the bottom of this post.  One frame is not cleaned up and the other is.  There's a quarter included for scale.   (The quarter is approximately 7/8" or 22 mm in diameter).

Carvings are coming... 

While I'm at it... I wanted a couple of times to PM you.. but it says you can't receive messages.

Great progress Mark; wonderful what a little confidence allows you to do :)

cheers

Pat

Thanks Pat.  You're spot on about confidence and losing the fear of doing something with little to know knowledge.   

post-76-0-53402700-1463976446_thumb.jpg

Edited by mtaylor

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

It looks like you took a leap of faith on the windows Mark, so why not take another and try carving? It is really satisfying to carve your own ornamentation as it was for you to make those windows.

Regards,

Bill

Mediocrity will never do. You are capable of something better.” ― Gordon B. Hinckley

Current build: Sovereign of the Seas 1637

My Book: Carving Ornamentation for Ship Models  

Hey Mark,

Well maybe I should call you laser man. Your getting pretty handy with that thing. She is coming along nicely Chief!!!

post-1053-0-11653700-1464010901.jpg

Thank You all...

Mario

:piratetongueor4:  :piratetongueor4:

"Each of us is a mixture of some good and some not so good qualities. In considering one's fellow man it's important to remember the good things ... We should refrain from making judgments just because a fella happens to be a dirty, rotten SOB(biscuit) ;) "

My Builds....

BETTEAU WAR OF 1812     BOUNTY LAUNCH(bashed)    CHESAPEAKE BAY FLATTIE

THE SEA of GALILEE BOAT   VICTORIAN STEAM LAUNCH(bashed)    HOWARD CHAPELLE's CRABBING SKIFF

LADY KATHRINE 1812 SCHOONER

All in all for a first effort at scratching  quarter galleries with minimal plans... I'll give myself a B+.

I'm feeling like if I can do these galleries... I'm ready for anything.  Even carving.

Mark, you"re not giving yourself enough credit, you deserve at least an A- if not better. As far as carving, go for it, whats the worst that can happen? redo them? take them off and buy some? (sayz the man who didnt do any embellishments on his own build)

Sam

Current Build Constructo Enterprise

Thanks for the "likes" and comments.  

The second side went smoothly and in my opinion, slightly better than the first.  I'll be starting the drops next.   Here's the pictures. 

post-76-0-73794500-1464141933_thumb.jpg

post-76-0-47701200-1464141938_thumb.jpg

It looks like you took a leap of faith on the windows Mark, so why not take another and try carving? It is really satisfying to carve your own ornamentation as it was for you to make those windows.

Regards,

Bill

Mark, you"re not giving yourself enough credit, you deserve at least an A- if not better. As far as carving, go for it, whats the worst that can happen? redo them? take them off and buy some? (sayz the man who didnt do any embellishments on his own build)

Sam

Great windows, Mark! Looking forward to seeing your carving advanture!
Janos

Thanks guys... let's talk carving then.....  :)    My only hope is to do the carvings on this ship justice.  I've done some carving but at a larger size (see picture below, the rose is about 1" (25mm) high.   The size of these things is what is giving me pause but I've gone ahead and jumped into it while waiting for glue to dry or when I need to use a power tool and it's "no power tools time".   The rose was done entirely with scalpels and I'm learning to use my dental burrs and mini-size diamond sanding bits.  This actually should be fun and I'm starting to be comfortable with it. 

post-76-0-11950400-1464141993_thumb.jpg

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Hi Mark

Carvings? What's life like without a challenge or two? If your current work is any indication, I have no doubt that you'll definitely do it justice. If not, you can always ask Sawdust Dave for help..... ;)  ;)  ;) 

Cheers and all the best!

Patrick

Edited by Omega1234

nice job on the port side gallery.........the windows look so delicate  ;)     I'm sure you'll do well on the carving.   the closest thing I even got to it,  was wood burning.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Thanks for the "likes" and comments.. 

An update..  the stern.    I'm going to paraphrase a line from a speech by John Kennedy about the Apollo program.  I think it fits with model ships...   "We do things not because they are easy but because they are hard".   I had the full quote sitting on my desk at work for many years.  I finally dug it out of the box and now have it again in place to remind me.

Anyway, so much for philosophy today but you'll understand it down this post a bit...  :D  :D  Here's the step by step...

I glued the previously cut light frames over the ebony filled opening for the 3 deadlights.   I made a scraper and scraped the lower molding strip to the profile on the plans.  The boxwood molding was mildly edge bent with heat and glued and secured into position with clamps.

attachicon.gif3-12.JPG

attachicon.gif3-13.JPG

I then turned to the next step, the glazed lights.  I checked locally for mica from gem/mineral shops locally.  All the locals were are the kind that sell "new age" crystals and cut stones for the chanting brigade.  So.. Google is my friend... I find bags of mica sheets but... no guarantee that any of the sheets in the bags would be clear.  Scratch that.  Back to Google..  started calling all the shops within a 200 mile radius.  No clear except one place... and it was a 10 pound chunk.  Yikes!!!

Time to fall back to Plan "B"... liquid glazing.  I used it and glazed the 4 lights following directions... and they warped badly.  Cut 4 more using the Deathstar (I guess scratchbuilding is called the "darkside" for a reason  :P  :P ) and modified the method.  I applied the glazed, put it between two 1/4" plates of glass over night.  The next morning, I took off the top glass and let it sit until the glazing was clear and then the lights started to warp.  Put the glass plate back on and let it sit for 24 hours.  Success!!!!

I glued on the lights and added the ebony strips between them as there aren't faux columns between them, just plain wood.

attachicon.gif3-14.JPG

The next steps will be to make and install the mold strip above the lights, and add the ebony planking for the rest of the transom. The lower mold strip needs to be trimmed back and the inside of the transom needs to be planked.  Then I can add the taffrail.  They do look better in real life than in macro.

To be continued.....

M.Taylor hello. Can you explain what kind of liquid used to make this glass so good?
Thank you very much for sharing.
regards
cabrapente