Licorne (1755) by mtaylor - (POF) - 3/16 - French Frigate (Hahn) - Version 2.0 - TERMINATED

Hi Mark.

Many happy returns, young man.

Check out rybakov’s post #3 on http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/716-hammocks-cranes-and-covers/  Admittedly a couple decades after your Licorne, but it suggests that your gallery upper finish was known and used, although apparently it wasn’t all that pervasive.  I know the aft end of the railing takes a hard turn and runs straight to the hull, but I can envision a more elliptical shape.

As to the straight line in the drawing, I do not know, but opine that it has to be some interior structure (against the hull) associated with the gallery ‘tub’ finish, since it spans the end-points of the curvature of the top gallery rail. I think druxey has it – the line of the hull edge of the interior ‘lining’ of the ‘tub’, ‘bin’, or what have you. But this is just an opinion.

I know you will do what you think best, and it will be appropriate and well executed.

Ciao.

John

Happy Birthday!

Current build: Syren : Kit- Model Shipways

Side project: HMS Bounty - Revel -(plastic)

On hold: Pre-owned, unfinished Mayflower (wood)

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

Happy birthday

Jean-Philippe (JP)

Current build: SyrenRattlesnake (Scratch built)

:dancetl6:Please visit and subscribe to my YouTube Channel

On Hold: MayflowerHMS Victory Cross Section
Completed:   Armed Virginia Sloop, Viking ship,  The Flyer, Pilot BoatKrabbenkutterMarie-JeanneSloup, The Smasher

Thanks for the birthday wishes and the comments.    See my post in "Them old jokes" for sense of how the day is going...  :D  :D  :D

My wife says that I'm 2 years old, with an attitude, and lots of experience.  She might be right.  So I'm celebrating experience today.  :)

That's painfull ... I suddenly increased the size of your build .... :blush: maybe that's why I couldn't get some details to fit on my own models ;)

You would sail Licorne if you were closer to the sea !?!?!?

Happy birthday Mark

I'm thinking I should have went larger..  seriously..    As for sailing her... I'm not letting this one see water at all, except maybe in a glass, on my desk.  :)

Hi Mark.

Many happy returns, young man.

Check out rybakov’s post #3 on http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/716-hammocks-cranes-and-covers/  Admittedly a couple decades after your Licorne, but it suggests that your gallery upper finish was known and used, although apparently it wasn’t all that pervasive.  I know the aft end of the railing takes a hard turn and runs straight to the hull, but I can envision a more elliptical shape.

As to the straight line in the drawing, I do not know, but opine that it has to be some interior structure (against the hull) associated with the gallery ‘tub’ finish, since it spans the end-points of the curvature of the top gallery rail. I think druxey has it – the line of the hull edge of the interior ‘lining’ of the ‘tub’, ‘bin’, or what have you. But this is just an opinion.

I know you will do what you think best, and it will be appropriate and well executed.

Ciao.

John

It tis an interesting conundrum, John.  I find no indication on the NMM plans of the gun deck for any internal structure in quarter gallery area.   Well.. they show the door to the galleries.. but that's it.   They packed a lot into these small ships. What I've been calling the "berth deck" and it would be on an English/American ship is just the "lower deck" (I'm changing terminology henceforth).  There's some officer cabins in the stern, storerooms, bread rooms, etc.  Which would follow the tales of the sailors sleeping anywhere they could find a place to lay down.

Minor Update and a Caution

I had some fireworks in the shop yesterday.  I had a couple of flareups on the wood being cut in the Death Star.  It was a first for me, but my handy spray bottle took care of it fast.    If you ever use a laser cutter, watch it up close when cutting.   I suspect it's the thinness of the wood and oil (?) in the Euro Box that caused the problem.  This wood seems to cut rather inconsistently and end up re-cutting parts several times.  

I'm about to recut 3 of the gallery decorations to replace ones damaged during installation.  Thin wood that breaks easily.   Hopefully, I'll finish this off today and post pictures.  

I think I'll do carvings in the background while turning my main focus to the interior.  Time to do something less fiddly....  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Happy birthday Mark and nice detail work - - hope they all don't burn up on you ;)

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Happy Birthday Mark..... have a good one!!!!..... you won't see this one  ever again :D :D

Cheers :cheers:

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Happy Birthday Mark!  

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Thanks for the birthday wishes... 

Well.. it was back and forth.. cutting, breaking or feeding the carpet monster today.... but the gallery tops are done. The Admiral approves, which is good since I'm building this for her.  So Happy Dance...  post-76-0-91885200-1467688614.gif

I've only tacked the roof tops in place as I'm going to fiddle with some settings over the next couple of weeks and see if I can get better parts for the decorations.  Doubtful, but worth a shot or two... I'm thinking a nice Kentucky Bourbon.  ;)   

Pictures below.  

Carvings are started and I'll work on them at a leisurely pace. But for now, I'm going to start the lower deck.  Less fiddly, methinks.   But first.. I need to refresh myself on the plans, make some spales, and put in a small dedication plaque.   Did I mention, clean the workshop and do maintenance on the power tools?  

post-76-0-73405800-1467689121_thumb.jpg

post-76-0-20301400-1467689131_thumb.jpg

Edited by mtaylor

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Looks great Mark.  Sorry to sorta free ride off your efforts, but I'm looking into scratching my stern and quarterbadges on my Pegasus.  Your log is very handy for giving my ideas on how to proceed.  Thanks for sharing!

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

No problem Mike.  We all share...  

I may not use the "best" methods but I'm finding which ones work for me and so far I have no reason to turn her into kindling.   :)

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

A belated happy Birthday "young" fella ;):)  I hope you had a wonderful day (and spoiled rotten).  Oh, and the railings and rooftop look  very grand; a great fit!

cheers

Pat

Edited by BANYAN

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Hi Mark,

Galleries look brilliant mate, a good job well done.

Happy belated Birthday wishes mate, I hope the day went well for you and that you achieved all you wanted to.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

Hi Mark

Lovely, lovely work, especially with the pillars on the gallery tops.  All the research that you've done is paying off, now.

However, it's a shame about having to clean the workshop.  Wouldn't your time be better spent making the mess, rather than cleaning it?

I'm also intrigued by the 'dedication plaque'.  I've always wanted to put similar plaques in my large RC boats, but never got around to doing them.  Sounds like you're on the right track for doing one now.

All the best!

Cheers

Patrick

I know what you mean about cleaning the workshop........I finally cleaned my table..    I got tired of stuff getting pushed off the edge and hitting the floor!  :D

us mad men gotta stick together ;)     the galley badge and decorations look super!    I wonder what the model manufacturers do in production lining their kits........they must have flare ups like that quite often.   has to be expected though.........you get right down to it,  this is a variant to wood burning  ;)

really nice work there.........and a belated birthday wish to ya.....my admiral has the same thoughts about me and my toys  ;)  :D  :D

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Gallery roof with those minute pullers look fantastic.  Well done Mark and well earned a shot or two of good old Kentucky bourbon.

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Thanks for the "likes" and comments.

Mark I found the meaning of the line you were looking for.

This is exactly as in the other picture where the rail is made as 1 part and as large as the top.

Obviously this is not the real method but this is how a beginner would draw it.

I'm going to consider this Gaetan.  Not blowing it off at all.   I'm just not sure if I can pull this off in wood at this point.  Partly my brain is mush and partly because the wood gets very delicate.  I'll ponder photo etch and other alternatives while I proceed on with a few things less fiddly.

The dedication plaque... simple to make, but for my lady, it has meaning.    So.. down deep in the hold, behind the main mast is where it will go.   Maybe, if the model is around.. sometime in the future, someone might see fit to peek inside with an endoscope.  Probably not, but I know and Janet knows (and you guys know) it's there.

post-76-0-54074900-1467842441_thumb.jpg

I guess enough of the "mushy" stuff...  diving deep into the bowels of the ship to start the lower deck.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Very nice Mark. That is a really neat idea to put it down inside the hold. It will make a very nice find for somebody years down the road and in the meantime it is something special for you and your wife.

"A Smooth Sea NEVER made a Skilled Sailor"
- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Current Builds - Royal Louis - Mamoli

Royal Caroline - Panart

Completed - Wood - Le Soleil Royal - Sergal - Build Log & Gallery

La Couronne - Corel - Build Log & Gallery

Rattlesnake - Model Shipways, HMS Bounty - Constructo

Plastic - USS Constitution - Revel (twice), Cutty Sark.

Unfinished - Plastic - HMS Victory - Heller, Sea Witch.

Member : Nautical Research Guild