Licorne (1755) by mtaylor - (POF) - 3/16 - French Frigate (Hahn) - Version 2.0 - TERMINATED

Nicely done, Mark.

See, Marines do have a sensitive side. :o:D :D

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

AF 70-98, and Mark's a Vietnam brother. :10_1_10:

Edited by Canute

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Very nice touch Mark, very thoughtful of you.

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Thanks for the likes and comments.

Yeah.... Marines have a sensitive side... shhhhh... don't tell anyone.  ;)  :)

Edited by mtaylor

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Lovely touch Mark, and inside a lovely lady for a lovely lady.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Progress of sorts.

Back on Version 1, I didn't do anything to the hold area.  However if one looked closely down the main hatch, the frames could be seen.  So this time, I've planked the area there.  I also have some hogsheads and barrels that I'm thinking of placing just in case someone peeks.  That's basically it for the hold.  The plans do show two platforms but nothing as to access.   The admiral agrees with this... also the rest of the plan....

Currently, I've cut my deck clamps for all four decks (lower, gun, and the quarterdeck and forecastle).  They're soaking and will be heat bent to shape.  I'm checking the inside again for a fair run for the planks and clamps.  Found a few spots that need some touch up with the sanding stick.  I've got a jig made up with the glue drying for removing the char from 75 deck beams that I ordered from Chuck back before I bought my laser.   Hopefully that won't get too monotonous...  ;)

I'm also fiddling with the stern carvings in my "quiet" moments....   :rolleyes:

The rest of the plan..

As far as details on the lower deck.. there's a gunroom at the stern but nothing in any of the plans on the doorway nor for a scuttle to the deck above nor what is in the gunroom.  I'll be referencing Hermione for this as the Belle Poule plans don't go below the gundeck.  Forward of the gunroom I'll add the 4 officers rooms, two storerooms, and two breadrooms.   And of course, the oven and hatchways.  :)

I'm also adding the bulkhead just behind the foremost hatchway with two doors (left and right to avoid the hatch.  I'm not sure what was stored in that area even though there's six rooms in that cramped area labeled "storeroom".  So I'm winging it a bit.  To the stern, I'll add the 4 officers rooms, two storerooms, and two breadrooms.   And of course, the oven and hatchways.   :)

There seems to be some subtle pressure from the Admiral on this suddenly... I think it's from earlier this week when I showed her the galleries and the little plaque.  Now shes' already started talking "display case"...   I keep telling her, it will be done when it's done...    :o

Once more, dear friends... into the breach. :10_1_10:

post-76-0-20033600-1467942706_thumb.jpg

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I thought I'd add a couple pictures of the sanding jig.  The dark brown curve is just a piece of wood the same dimensions and arc as the beam.   Currently it's set up for the top of the beam.  If I rotate it 180 degees, I'll be able to to the bottom of the beam.   The sanding drum is turning about 5000 rpm and barely touching the wood, but two passes and the wood is clean and the slight angle on the cut edge left by the laser cutter is removed.

post-76-0-27169600-1467960133_thumb.jpg

post-76-0-73809600-1467960142_thumb.jpg

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Nice jig Mark, very effective.  With such light passes i don't think you will have to worry about wear on the sanding drum causing spacing issues.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Good job with that jig. That is the one major downside to laser cutting is the char that often has to be removed without sacrificing the precise cut dimensions. Looks like you may have an effective solution to the problem.

"A Smooth Sea NEVER made a Skilled Sailor"
- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Current Builds - Royal Louis - Mamoli

Royal Caroline - Panart

Completed - Wood - Le Soleil Royal - Sergal - Build Log & Gallery

La Couronne - Corel - Build Log & Gallery

Rattlesnake - Model Shipways, HMS Bounty - Constructo

Plastic - USS Constitution - Revel (twice), Cutty Sark.

Unfinished - Plastic - HMS Victory - Heller, Sea Witch.

Member : Nautical Research Guild

Aviaamator,

Here's the one I have:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/256-micromark-micromill-review/  It's no longer made.  Also, I modified it for a higher RPM then what came from the factory.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Mark,  Just catching up a bit after a far-to-long absence from the forum.  Lovely work as always. I greatly admire your patience to be sure.  And the plaque is a great touch.  

I also kinda dig the Admiral's enthusiasm, mine is a bit burnt out on ships all over the house I fear. 

- Bug

you've been a busy beaver Mark..........love the plaque.   if I ever need one,  I'll be putting in my order  ;)   nice to see your finally getting some work done on the inside........quite a lot of work you have planned.   looking forward in seeing more  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Lovely sentiment Mark and well executed.

Most of us can take a lessen away from here.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

Love the jig, Mark (I have the smaller MicroMark mill, so I'm happy to see some with the big brother version).  So let me ask you a basic question:  How did you shape the wood you're using for the jig?  It seems the accuracy for that piece would be at least as important as for the one you'll put on the model, eh?

And have you had any problems getting your clamps to fit into the T-slots of the x-y table?  Mine are tiny, and require metric bolts, so that getting clamps secure has often been a challenge.

Great work as always!

Martin

Current Build:  HMS FLY 1776

Previous Builds:  Rattlesnake 1781

Prince de Neufchatel

Thanks for the "likes" and the comments.   I'm still re-fairing the inside of the hull as time permits.  Been a hectic week.

Love the jig, Mark (I have the smaller MicroMark mill, so I'm happy to see some with the big brother version).  So let me ask you a basic question:  How did you shape the wood you're using for the jig?  It seems the accuracy for that piece would be at least as important as for the one you'll put on the model, eh?

And have you had any problems getting your clamps to fit into the T-slots of the x-y table?  Mine are tiny, and require metric bolts, so that getting clamps secure has often been a challenge.

Great work as always!

Martin

Martin,

I'll answer the first question first...  :huh:    The jig is actually a beam (the master beam) I made during Version 1.0.   I checked the curvature against the new beams for exactness.  After gluing it down, on the jig board, I ran a milling head through it so the sander would fit.  It may not be pretty but it works. :)

I take you have even the smaller mill that was discontinued then?   Metric..on most of these mini's seems to be standard.  Mine use the 4mm size which is NOT what I'd call standard when every other mini-mill uses 12mm.   Also, the slots don't match any other mills (even MM's R8 Mill) which made/makes tooling a problem.  

Yes, getting the standard clamps to fit has been an ongoing issue.  I have mine Mickey Mouse-d to work with nuts, washers, added screws, etc.  Even a piece of wood off the "stern" of the clamp to help lock things down.   

I've been giving thought to going to a different mill.. maybe this one:  http://www.littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=4962&category=1387807683  It's the same one MM sells but with shipping, there's not much price difference at least out here in Oregon.  

But, being "frugal" (ok.. the Admiral thinks I'm cheap but only on some things) I'm in a hold mode.  I guess I'm waiting for an excuse...like HMS Visa being able to return to the line of battle.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

But, being "frugal" (ok.. the Admiral thinks I'm cheap but only on some things) I'm in a hold mode.  I guess I'm waiting for an excuse...like HMS Visa being able to return to the line of battle.

Practical sounds more like it .. looks like a fair mill, have you taken a look at those from Sherline ...

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Practical sounds more like it .. looks like a fair mill, have you taken a look at those from Sherline ...

Short answer.. yes.    :)

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

I started installing the deck clamps for all three decks...  pictures will be forthcoming.  ;)

I'm also making some tools/jigs.

The first is an inside measuring tool.  I put this one together as a test, I could make it fancier and neater, but it works.  It's just a strip of wood with a miniature clothes pin (peg) glued on one side.  There's 4 small strips for guiding the slider and there's two sliders of different lengths to allow me to measure from the narrowest part of the hull to the widest so I can cut the deck beams to fit properly.

post-76-0-89776900-1468734486_thumb.jpg

post-76-0-43904000-1468734574_thumb.jpg

The next one is just a simple jig.  Hahn's plans show a line indicating the top of the beams (bottom of the deck planks).  So.... I worked backwards a bit when setting up the frames and put in tabs 1/4" (6.35mm) down from the line to place the clamps.  My clamps are 1/8" (3.17mm) thick and the beams are 3/16" (4.76mm).   To get the beams to the right height, I need to remove 1/16" (1.5mm) from the ends of the beam where they sit on the clamp.  Yeah.. I know, complicated, but having had issues with measuring down into the hull and then lining up the clamp with the marks, I thought this would make life easier.  It did.  But the result is this jig.  

It's simple two pieces of scrap wood glued together with one being 1/16" taller than the other.  The beam goes into the jig as shown in the last picture and can be marked or cut using it.  It'll work for the narrowest to the widest beam as the arc is uniform across the beam.  A nice side benefit is that I end up with a flat spot on the end of the beam for gluing it to the clamp.

post-76-0-05258700-1468735267_thumb.jpg

post-76-0-19266600-1468735281_thumb.jpg

post-76-0-39030600-1468735293_thumb.jpg

I'm making some spales at this time using the same method Grant used in his Granado group build..... only a bit smaller.

Lord a willin' and the creek don't rise, I should have all the clamps in some time tomorrow.  Maybe even some beams fitted... We'll see.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Nice work on the jigs Mark. Those spales have come in handy a number of times - you'll wonder how you ever got on without them.

Re your first jig in your post, I wonder whether some telescoping brass tubing (round or square) might achieve the same aim?

Puts a whole new meaning to the term Jigy-Jig, nice plan Mark.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-