Licorne (1755) by mtaylor - (POF) - 3/16 - French Frigate (Hahn) - Version 2.0 - TERMINATED

Thanks for the "likes" and the comments.

Sam,

Neither Is a big issue.  At 1/16", the dado looks pretty flat.  At 3/16", just a swipe of file takes care of it.  If you'll go back to this post:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/5339-licorne-by-mtaylor-pof-316-french-frigate-hahn-version-20/?p=165891  all the notches in the keel and keelson were cut with the dado washer. 

I'm going to test David's method and stack some blades when I get a chance.  I'm curious now if that will work or fling things across the room. :)

I've been bit busy on the side with HMS Visa.  Ordered pedestals, belaying pins, and some other necessities.  Also order a copy of Le Venus from ANCRE for the rigging plans. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I wish that wood would come early.  Between HMS Visa and the House of Flying Daggers you're in a dangerous situation!

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Quick update:  Most of the frames have been cut and shaped.  Once the keel is in place, the half frames at the bow will be shaped and installed.  I'm working on the keel, transom, and stem now.

post-76-0-81140100-1395627210_thumb.jpg

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

The frames look great Mark.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Good start Mark.  What kind of wood are you using for the frames?

David B

Edited by dgbot

I like this method of building.  It's looking good.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Great progress Mark, the makings of a very fine boat indeed!

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Thanks for a nice words and the "likes". 

David,

I'm using cherry for the frames, keel, stern post, and stem.  I'm planning on using boxwood for the planking.  The various fittings are sort of up in the air as I won't be adding the rudder or thwarts since there's a boat stowed inside of this one.  

Back to mumbling to myself and feeding the scrap box.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Janos,

I have very mixed views on cherry.  I suspect it has to do with a particular piece.  Sometimes it's no to very little grain, and other times, very pronounced.  Same with the color.  I have some that's as pale as it was when I got it.  If it's fine grained and turns that deep rich red, I love it.  If not... meh.

This stuff seems to be working because I soaked it for 3 days as I had some other things to attend to. 

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

I  have used cherry for many things.  Frames .fittings and planking.  I have rarely had any problems.  Of coarse you have to choose the piece that you use.

David B

Cherry is a beautiful wood in appearance and to work with.  For modeling it is best to choose pieces with straight grain.  This is not always easy because the grain is often variable.  This grain variation is very desirable when used on, for example, furniture.  However, the grain variation gives a mottled appearance on small model parts that is not usually desirable.  Swiss pear has the advantage of similar color but very straight uniform grain.  It is more expensive and less available than cherry.

Also the darker shade in cherry is heartwood and the lighter is sapwood.  The heartwood is the more desirable due to the color and physical properties.  The brittleness mentioned above is due to the grain variation that produces cross grain weakness on small pieces - strips.

Ed

Edited by EdT

Thanks for the comments.

The scrap box is indeed hungry lately.  I'm currently on keel #5 and I think I finally got it the way I want it.  Pics soon, I hope.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

The scrap box is indeed hungry lately.

One has to be stingy with food.

michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Looks good Mark, nice to see your progress.

John

Current Current Builds:

US Brig Niagara on my website

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

New Bedford Whaleboat - page on my Morgan Website:  http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com/whaleboat-build-log-by-john-fleming.html

C.W. Morgan - Model Shipways 1:64 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1785-cw-morgan-by-texxn5-johnf-ms-164-kit/

USS Constitution - Revell 1:96 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1796-uss-constitution-by-texxn5-johnf-revell-196-kit/

website US Brig Niagara Model http://www.niagaramodel.com

website Charles W Morgan Model http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com

website PROXXON DISCOUNT TOOL STORE http://proxxontoolsdiscount.com

looking good Mark...I'm keenly watching the progress.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thanks for the comments.

The scrap box is indeed hungry lately.  I'm currently on keel #5 and I think I finally got it the way I want it.  Pics soon, I hope.

Great news Mark - so this should be a 'masterpiece' then ;)  

Good to see your application towards 'only the best' and not the 'that'll do' - this should then make up into a wonderful model.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

I swear, my next ship is going to be Gaetan sized..... if I can figure out where to put it. 

Anyway, keel number 5 is just stuck in position and not glued up yet.  Once glued, I'll do the final 3 half-frames but I do have to work on the transom first.  That would be that small pile of planks in L-square.  I've cut the rest of my planking and it's in the pic.

post-76-0-73200900-1395979068_thumb.jpg

Just another quickie side-topic.... here's a shot of the setup on my saw for cutting the planks.  I set the wood to the fingerboards, move the fence, and cut a plank.  Move the wood to the left and then the fence and rip another strip.  I do it backwards since I'm left handed.  The featherboard is locked down (in this case) to produce a 1/32" thick plank.  The wood I'm cutting it from is 1/8" thick boxwood.

post-76-0-32472600-1395979071_thumb.jpg

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Hi Mark -

Nice work on the boat.  The keel looks right.  Once you get the garboard and sheer strakes planked it will really take shape.

I am a bit confused about the sawing method.  It seems as if you are using the featherboard as the fence and the fence as your featherboard.  I would think that the inherent flexibility of the featherboard fingers will give you uneven plank thicknesses, depending on how firmly you push the wood against them before you set the fence for each cut.  If you have an accurate mini table saw (it looks like you have a Byrnes saw) you should have no trouble setting the fence to a 1/32" distance from the blade and then ripping off multiple identical planks without moving any part of the setup. 

Just another way to get the job done.  If your method works for you, go with it.

Following with interest, as always.

Dan

Current build -SS Mayaguez (c.1975) scale 1/16" = 1' (1:192) by Dan Pariser

Prior scratch builds - Royal yacht Henrietta, USS Monitor, USS Maine, HMS Pelican, SS America, SS Rex, SS Uruguay, Viking knarr, Gokstad ship, Thames River Skiff , USS OneidaSwan 42 racing yacht  Queen Anne's Revenge (1710) SS Andrea Doria (1952), SS Michelangelo (1962) , Queen Anne's Revenge (2nd model) USS/SS Leviathan (1914),  James B Colgate (1892),  POW bone model (circa 1800) restoration

Prior kit builds - AL Dallas, Mamoli Bounty. Bluejacket America, North River Diligence, Airfix Sovereign of the Seas

"Take big bites.  Moderation is for monks."  Robert A. Heinlein

John,

The guard is always off....  I do have push sticks in abundance and I stand to the right of the saw and move the wood from left to right.  I don't want to be in the way of a kickback. :)   I hate to say it, but I'm scared as hell of this saw.  I had the guards on and darn near lost a finger when the wood kicked.  So, no guards, stand out of the way and use push sticks.

Don,

I wish this was the Jim Saw, but it's not.  With the Jim Saw, the aft end of the fence can be set such that there's more space at the rear of the blade than at the front.  So usually, I CA a block of wood to the left so the plank can peel off and not get chewed up by the back of the blade.  The main fence is just some mental security.  When I get some time, I'm going to rework the fence a bit so has a step just aft of the leading edge of the blade to do this and then use the feather board properly.  Or, hope something trashes the saw and I can justify buying the Jim Saw. 

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Sjors,

Err... no.  The saw isn't handmade or maybe it was since it was made in China.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds: