Licorne (1755) by mtaylor - (POF) - 3/16 - French Frigate (Hahn) - Version 2.0 - TERMINATED

Grant,

It's probable.  EdT had some in his Niaid log that were made from wood with brass fittings.  I just went for what I had handy.  Maybe something like a spale type of measuring tool??? 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Nice work Mark; she's coming along really nicely.

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

hi Mark,

I saw your comments about mills.  I had looked at the mill you linked to from little machine shop.  One reason for leaning towards the Sherline is that most of the accessories from the MMark will fit the Sherline so would not have to reinvest as much by switching to R8.  But, I use the mill for drilling and like the lever like handle on the Sieg.

So, I am wavering

Richard.

Richard
Member: The Nautical Research Guild
                Atlanta Model Shipwrights

Current build: Syren

Nice work on the jigs Mark.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Thanks for the "likes" and comments.   I didn't get to where I wanted to be today, but clamps are on 2 out of the 3 decks that need them.  Spales are "in work".  

Richard,

The Sieg is made by the same folks that make the MM mill.  There are differences but both use the R8 taper for the chuck or collets.  The accessories (other than collets and chuck) should fit those and the Sherline and the LittleMachineShop mills.  The only thing I'd have push out the door with this mill is the collets as the holder is an MT1 taper.   :(   All the other accessories will go either way.  I'm thinking the way you are.. drilling also.  I don't need a pivoting head, like MM as that does add some play....   I'm still on the fence.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

It's probable.  EdT had some in his Niaid log that were made from wood with brass fittings.  I just went for what I had handy.  Maybe something like a spale type of measuring tool???

That's kinda what I had in mind Mark. I think Ed's were more like a miniature version of a "Gunter Batten" if I remember my damage control training correctly.

Oh, and let me add a vote for the Sherline mill. You won't regret it!

I like that jig Mark.  One question that come to mind that I've been trying to think through.  I would assume that the corner angles on the beams are not 90deg as the frames are effectively vertical but the deck has a curve.  Are you shaping that on the jig or are you planning to introduce the right line once installed so the deck runs smoothly?

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

Hi Mark -- I looked at the Little Machine Shop mill, and I bought some of their attachments (which did not match my MM mill).  I think their mill is probably one of the best.  BUT Sherline seems to have won just about everyone over as holding the top position.  Whenever your HMS Visa gets back to her home port (unless she's been caught with mine in the Bermuda Triangle) load er up!  What I've learned from my MM mill (and you're right, it is the smaller one -- I thought I was being frugal!!) is that it could be a very useful tool, but those tiny slots handicap terribly.  I keep hoping it'll find it's way to the middle of the road and get run over.  Maybe we should form a Micro Mark support group.  ;)

I like your jigs -- they definitely warrant further study!!

Cheers,

Martin

Current Build:  HMS FLY 1776

Previous Builds:  Rattlesnake 1781

Prince de Neufchatel

I'm finding that the more I do, the more I'm willing to try on this ship...  Not sure if that makes sense, but truly is a journey.   :)

I like that jig Mark.  One question that come to mind that I've been trying to think through.  I would assume that the corner angles on the beams are not 90deg as the frames are effectively vertical but the deck has a curve.  Are you shaping that on the jig or are you planning to introduce the right line once installed so the deck runs smoothly?

I'll need to make several measurement per beam and adjust the ends as needed.. pretty much customize each one to fit the hull shape.  Not just the angle for the meeting the hull horizontally but also vertically due to the tumblehome.  It should be interesting.  All that jig does is give me the flat spot I need and beam thickness at the clamp.  

Hi Mark -- I looked at the Little Machine Shop mill, and I bought some of their attachments (which did not match my MM mill).  I think their mill is probably one of the best.  BUT Sherline seems to have won just about everyone over as holding the top position.  Whenever your HMS Visa gets back to her home port (unless she's been caught with mine in the Bermuda Triangle) load er up!  What I've learned from my MM mill (and you're right, it is the smaller one -- I thought I was being frugal!!) is that it could be a very useful tool, but those tiny slots handicap terribly.  I keep hoping it'll find it's way to the middle of the road and get run over.  Maybe we should form a Micro Mark support group.  ;)

I like your jigs -- they definitely warrant further study!!

Cheers,

Martin

The MM R8 is the same as the Sieg except for motor power and the Little Machine Shop has a rigid post.   The smaller mills MM sold are, shall we say, illegitimate step-children?  There was almost nothing they sold that fit them easily.  Sherline isn't out of the running but I need to re-examine their offerings.  I really would like to have the drill press feature as my drill press sits in the corner, on the floor since there's no bench space for it.

HMS Visa is recovering but if things work out for a trip to the NRG Meeting, she'll back in drydock afterwards.  If things don't work out for the trip... the mill is mine..  bwahahahahaha....  

That's kinda what I had in mind Mark. I think Ed's were more like a miniature version of a "Gunter Batten" if I remember my damage control training correctly.

Oh, and let me add a vote for the Sherline mill. You won't regret it!

I think you're right on his tool, Grant.

Vote acknowledged.

Edited by mtaylor

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

I really would like to have the drill press feature as my drill press sits in the corner, on the floor since there's no bench space for it.

Don't forget Mark, that Sherline offer the "sensitive drilling attachment" accessory. A very useful offering.

very nice work for every problem there is always a solution hopefully

John Allen

Current builds HMS Victory-Mamoli

On deck

USS Tecumseh, CSS Hunley scratch build, Double hull Polynesian canoe (Holakea) scratch build

Finished

Waka Taua Maori War Canoe, Armed Launch-Panart, Diligence English Revenue Cutter-Marine  Model Co. 

Fantastic work.

Rob

Current build:

Build log: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25382-glory-of-the-seas-medium-clipper-1869-by-rwiederrich-196

Finished build:

Build log: of 1/128th Great Republic: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13740-great-republic-by-rwiederrich-four-masted-extreme-clipper-1853/#

Current build(On hold):

Build log: 1/96  Donald McKay:http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4522-donald-mckay-medium-clipper-by-rwiederrich-1855/

Completed build:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/475-196-cutty-sark-plastic/

The LORD said, "See, I have set (them) aside...with skills of all kinds, to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver, and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of crafts."

G'day Mark

Firstly happy belated birthday! Been off the air for a period.

Janet should be so proud of the plaque. It proves to me a marine do have a soft spot, especially when his admiral has his heart.

Looking great mate on the model side as well.

Havagooday my friend

Greg

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Current log : The Royal Yacht Royal Caroline 1749 1:32 by Greg Ashwood:...

Thanks for all the "likes", comments, and "just having a peek in".   :)

Update time.... 

All three decks now have their clamps in place.  I've checked from side to side and they're close but need a bit of touching up with a file to get each side level with the other.  I've also started making up the beams for the lower deck.  

The pictures show the first two beams shaped on the ends and also sitting in place.  I'm still planning on an almost full lower deck with the following exception.. the aft end planking will end after the partition and door for the gunroom.  I may change my mind as get more into this area but I'd be winging it to put any thing after that wall basically be sheer guesswork including the beams.  There's (according to the plans) two "cabins" in the gunroom but I'm thinking they're storage.  The hull in the area takes on some serious curves.   As I said, I may change my mind once I get into the deck planking.

I'll also put in the mizzen mast step, the main and fore mast partners, the oven, and the three hatches (two have gratings).  There will also be the cabins (empty), bread rooms, and storage rooms along with the forward partition that's behind the foremast.   The anchor point for the bowsprit will need to be installed and the opening in the bow opened and shaped for the bowsprit on the beakhead.

Anyway, here's the pics...  I'm open to critique, ideas, and thoughts as always.    Have a great Friday and weekend.

post-76-0-30010700-1469145535_thumb.jpg

post-76-0-65243900-1469145543_thumb.jpg

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Some major milestones achieved Mark; looking good.  Keep nibbling away at each major process step and eventually you will get there :)

cheers

Pat

Edited by BANYAN

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Carl,

Short answer.. no.  The gun room was (at least on English ships) where the chief gunner kept his stores (spare tools, locks, flints, parts, etc.) and possibly the Marines kept theirs including extra pistols, long guns, as well as tools.  One source maintained that even swords and pikes were stored there.   The powder room is even lower near the keel but I'm not able to figure out where exactly nor it's shape.  

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

super start Mark..........truly some amazing work  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Very tidy & patient work Mark.

-Bug

Thanks for the "likes" and commentary...  

Making progress.   The beams are in for the lower deck.  There's probably another couple that I'll need to put in once I figure out the shape at the bow and stern.  The bow, not so much, but the stern looks different on the drawing than it does looking into the hull.  i think it's not at deck level... just has me scratching my head as I know the beams are all at the right height.

Anyway, I'm checking fore and main mast locations and then I'll be dropping a bit of string down the centerline to double check and pin down where I'll need the mizzen mast step, the three hatches, and the bowsprit step. I'm also plotting out the walls and cabins but won't get to far into that until the deck is planked.   Which... I'm hoping to get started on this week as soon as I can get the planks cut.  The actual next step with the waterways.  The wood has been selected (cherry) and the appropriate sized pieces selected.  

Here's pictures.   Feel free to point out any stupidity or errors on my part.   :)

post-76-0-34764500-1469405301_thumb.jpg

post-76-0-43283800-1469405358_thumb.jpg

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Thanks as always for the likes and comments.

Looks good, Mark. What do you mean by 'the stern looks different on the drawing than it does looking into the hull'?

If I stare at something long enough, I'll usually realize what it is...  It's my mistake....  the last beam I have is 2-1/2" long.  On the drawing it's 3-1/2" long.  I think the drawing is looking from waterway to waterway which, if the beam is tapered or faired into the frames properly it would go past the clamp and end up being 3-1/2" long.  Not the end of the world... I may just shim out that area when I do the waterways and plank or I'll redo them.  I'm leaning towards a rework. I'm having my moments here wrapping my head around some of this.  

In my crude sketch... the black beam is how it looks now.  The red is how it should have been faired into the frame.]

post-76-0-88199600-1469422166.jpg

Edited by mtaylor

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Owww ... Mark, you should take two measurements: One like you do now, and one where you flip over the pointed ends of your jig to be at the top, or put a block underneath the thickness of the beam. The latter will give you a different size in some cases, especially deep down in the hull. You can sand the angle on your beam to make it flush fit. Besides that, there is the curvature of the hull to take into account too, which implies four measures ...

It is easy to tell someone what to do, after the error is made, but your work does look great, even from this side of the globe!!! Well done.

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Great work Mark!

"A Smooth Sea NEVER made a Skilled Sailor"
- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Current Builds - Royal Louis - Mamoli

Royal Caroline - Panart

Completed - Wood - Le Soleil Royal - Sergal - Build Log & Gallery

La Couronne - Corel - Build Log & Gallery

Rattlesnake - Model Shipways, HMS Bounty - Constructo

Plastic - USS Constitution - Revel (twice), Cutty Sark.

Unfinished - Plastic - HMS Victory - Heller, Sea Witch.

Member : Nautical Research Guild