Licorne (1755) by mtaylor - (POF) - 3/16 - French Frigate (Hahn) - Version 2.0 - TERMINATED

you have been busy........the beams look great!   are you thinking that the planking will level it out,  by the time you reach the transom?  I wish I had more savvy with these types of ships......    but you've really done some nice work there  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thanks for the likes and comments.  They are encouraging...  

Owww ... Mark, you should take two measurements: One like you do now, and one where you flip over the pointed ends of your jig to be at the top, or put a block underneath the thickness of the beam. The latter will give you a different size in some cases, especially deep down in the hull. You can sand the angle on your beam to make it flush fit. Besides that, there is the curvature of the hull to take into account too, which implies four measures ...

It is easy to tell someone what to do, after the error is made, but your work does look great, even from this side of the globe!!! Well done.

Thanks Carl.  But if there's an error, I don't mind ripping things apart...  Ask my scrap box about that.  :D  :D

you have been busy........the beams look great!   are you thinking that the planking will level it out,  by the time you reach the transom?  I wish I had more savvy with these types of ships......    but you've really done some nice work there   :)

Actually, Denis, the round up continues to sternpost, but the deck gets a lot narrower.   There's a rise in the planking according to the drawings but I'm currently one beam shy so I need to add that.  I'm still debating while getting set up to make deck planks.   Hahn simplified.  I like that philosophy but I also want it look right.  His decking is straight planks according the photos.  The French used wide amidships and then tapered them.  I studying the plans in the French monographs I have to see how and where they terminated the planking strakes.   At the stern, I'm thinking I can put a false deck from the last beam to the sternpost.   I'm still sorting out which will look better.  I'm not a 100% yet, but I feel like that's where I should be headed.   Maybe next ship will have all the bells and whistles and less simplification like carlings between the beams and knees.  

I don't fault Hahn.. I fault myself here.  There's still a learning curve going on.

Edited by mtaylor

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Great work Mark.  Thanks for narrowing the learning curve for everyone else.  :) 

- Bug

I think when you begin the deck planking,  the solution will reveal itself.   it possibly could be walled off and hidden as well.......especially if you find a loss of info as to what is to go there.   rudder shaft?  ammo locker or sleeping quarters.........the gun deck would be above this deck,  I do believe.......it will cap it off.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Thanks again for the likes and comments.

This truly is a work in progress.   The situation is slowly resolving itself...   

Today's update is somewhat tiny... waterways.    The first picture shows the mill setup with the ball cutter.  I pass each waterway piece through the jig and each time take off more material.   Picture 2 shows the profile on a test piece that I'm aiming for.   I'll need to profile the side against the hull during installation to get a good fit.

post-76-0-55562400-1469563949_thumb.jpg

post-76-0-19295400-1469563964_thumb.jpg

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks Sam.   Uh...buy it again...?  No.  It's been discontinued and there were really were not accessories for it.   I've posted elsewhere on this that I think that when this one dies (or I just get tired of fiddling with getting things like vises to work) I'll get a different mill.  

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Great progress Mark, she is really taking some definition now.  I like your mill set-up, you can keep some great control of the cuts/passes with that and the result is proof of the pudding.  Wat cutters do you use (manufacturer); that ball cutter seems very effective.  The cheap one I have just does not pass muster.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Thanks Pat.  They're a set I picked up at, I think, a local shop.  Supposedly carbide but only a few are really usable.  A couple have bent shafts and a couple more just aren't sharp.   The milling here is requiring a fair amount of cleanup. I think I'll be tossing these soon and buying better quality online...but not from E-Bay.  

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Great work and use of your mini machines..fantastic.

Rob

Current build:

Build log: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25382-glory-of-the-seas-medium-clipper-1869-by-rwiederrich-196

Finished build:

Build log: of 1/128th Great Republic: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13740-great-republic-by-rwiederrich-four-masted-extreme-clipper-1853/#

Current build(On hold):

Build log: 1/96  Donald McKay:http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4522-donald-mckay-medium-clipper-by-rwiederrich-1855/

Completed build:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/475-196-cutty-sark-plastic/

The LORD said, "See, I have set (them) aside...with skills of all kinds, to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver, and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of crafts."

Thanks for the "likes" and commentary...  

Making progress.   The beams are in for the lower deck.  There's probably another couple that I'll need to put in once I figure out the shape at the bow and stern.  The bow, not so much, but the stern looks different on the drawing than it does looking into the hull.  i think it's not at deck level... just has me scratching my head as I know the beams are all at the right height.

Anyway, I'm checking fore and main mast locations and then I'll be dropping a bit of string down the centerline to double check and pin down where I'll need the mizzen mast step, the three hatches, and the bowsprit step. I'm also plotting out the walls and cabins but won't get to far into that until the deck is planked.   Which... I'm hoping to get started on this week as soon as I can get the planks cut.  The actual next step with the waterways.  The wood has been selected (cherry) and the appropriate sized pieces selected.  

Here's pictures.   Feel free to point out any stupidity or errors on my part.   :)

attachicon.gif4-4.JPG

attachicon.gif4-5.JPG

Beautiful work Mark, 

I want to be able to do that when I grow up.... :P

Thumbs up,   Keith

Current build:

A Battleship

Past builds:

The Unicorn - The Lindworm - Malahini -  Shinobi Maru  -  The MaryJane - The Weeligstraal

Hi Mark -- Great work, and an interesting jig, which I want to try to copy.  As for cutters, you might check out Proxxon's store, run by Texxn5 (one of us guys on MSW).  I've bought some of his cutters that have worked very well -- in fact the Proxxon attachments are the only ones I've had any success with.

Here's a link

http://www.proxxontoolsdiscount.com/store/c12/Accessories_Lathes%2FMlls.html

Cheers,

Martin

Current Build:  HMS FLY 1776

Previous Builds:  Rattlesnake 1781

Prince de Neufchatel

Very nice beam work Mark and I agree with replacing the one that's too short.  It's just a minor redo and will not haunt you later on.  Yes, the gap can be covered by the waterway and or planking but you will always know and gnaw at you.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Beautiful work Mark, 

I want to be able to do that when I grow up.... :P

Thumbs up,   Keith

What?  We have to grow up?    :D  :D

Hi Mark -- Great work, and an interesting jig, which I want to try to copy.  As for cutters, you might check out Proxxon's store, run by Texxn5 (one of us guys on MSW).  I've bought some of his cutters that have worked very well -- in fact the Proxxon attachments are the only ones I've had any success with.

Here's a link

http://www.proxxontoolsdiscount.com/store/c12/Accessories_Lathes%2FMlls.html

Cheers,

Martin

Darn... I forgot that John carries milling cutters.  Thanks for the reminder.

Very nice beam work Mark and I agree with replacing the one that's too short.  It's just a minor redo and will not haunt you later on.  Yes, the gap can be covered by the waterway and or planking but you will always know and gnaw at you.

Cheers,

Stay tuned Piet.  We've had a small change in plans do some repair work where I had to remove a bunch of beams.  The main mast step wasn't positioned exactly where it needed to be.  Anyway, the solution won't be accurate but it will be "interesting" to some.  

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Mark,

YOU don't have to grow up. It's better you stay the way you are ;)

Ah, jippie SURPRISES ... I love it when you start interesting things. Usually they turn out far better than the first hand you laid at it ...

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Thanks for the likes, the comments, and just looking in.... :)

Not a big update, but deck furniture (except for the mizzen mast step and the oven) are mostly done.  The main mast partner is coming out as I'm not happy looking at the picture.  Other than this partner, the oven and the mizzen step, everything else I salvaged from Version 1 for this build hit the scrapbox.   The main mast partner should be following.

post-76-0-04178900-1470012745_thumb.jpg

Edited by mtaylor

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Wow, beautiful looking set of deck beams Mark and it looks like you also installed part of the waterways.  Deck furniture finished?  And you haven't shown any of it?  Or is that also salvaged from V1.0? 

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

No waterways yet,  Piet.  I think what you're seeing is the clamps for the gundeck (next deck up).  Didn't show any?  I got lazy with the camera and figured everyone knows coamings and grates since that was what I made new.  

I reworked the main mast partner and am currently bending the waterways using the Chuck method... but I'm using a hot air gun instead of a hair dryer as the hair dryer just didn't work for me.  Tomorrow, I hope to cut the planking for the deck and maybe get a waterway or two installed.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Great work Mark, she is looking good.  An interesting observation is that the bigger the pile in the scrapbox, usually the better the quality the build as this gem is showing.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

looking really good Mark.....nice to see some fitting in there.   are you going to plank the entire deck.......that would be the orlop deck {am I right?}

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

looking really good Mark.....nice to see some fitting in there.   are you going to plank the entire deck.......that would be the orlop deck {am I right?}

On an English ship, it probably would be the orlop.  The French frigates at this time (prior to the 12 and 18 pdrs) only had two full decks, the gundeck and the lower deck.  This be the lower deck.   

Currently, this deck is naked again.  I didn't like the way things were sitting on it.  I'm repositioning and still fiddling with waterways and cutting the deck planking.  

Yes, the entire deck (with two exceptions) will be planked, and cabins/storerooms, and breadrooms added.  This is more of personal challenge than anything else.  The two areas not being planked are forward of the forward partition which sits just behind the mainmast.  There's some issues I need to work through in my head yet on bowsprit step.  The second area is the gunroom.  No issues but the plaque had to be moved.  When I did some rework of the main mast step it came loose and I didn't want to rip out a bunch of beams to put it back.  I will leave the gunroom door open though.   ;)    Maybe if someone in a bunch of years looks in with an endoscope they'll find it.  Sort of an easter egg.  :D    Oh, I am doing the ceiling also.  Again more as a personal challenge.  

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't had the chance to check in for two weeks and I'm amazed at how much you completed since then. She's really coming together beautifully!

Glenn

My Gallery

9 inch Dahlgren on Marsilly Carriage<p><p>

Heroine Shipwreck Diorama