mtaylor

Licorne by mtaylor - (POF) - 3/16 - French Frigate (Hahn) - Version 2.0 - TERMINATED

Thanks for all the "likes", comments, and "just having a peek in".   :)

Update time.... 

All three decks now have their clamps in place.  I've checked from side to side and they're close but need a bit of touching up with a file to get each side level with the other.  I've also started making up the beams for the lower deck.  

The pictures show the first two beams shaped on the ends and also sitting in place.  I'm still planning on an almost full lower deck with the following exception.. the aft end planking will end after the partition and door for the gunroom.  I may change my mind as get more into this area but I'd be winging it to put any thing after that wall basically be sheer guesswork including the beams.  There's (according to the plans) two "cabins" in the gunroom but I'm thinking they're storage.  The hull in the area takes on some serious curves.   As I said, I may change my mind once I get into the deck planking.

I'll also put in the mizzen mast step, the main and fore mast partners, the oven, and the three hatches (two have gratings).  There will also be the cabins (empty), bread rooms, and storage rooms along with the forward partition that's behind the foremast.   The anchor point for the bowsprit will need to be installed and the opening in the bow opened and shaped for the bowsprit on the beakhead.

Anyway, here's the pics...  I'm open to critique, ideas, and thoughts as always.    Have a great Friday and weekend.

post-76-0-30010700-1469145535_thumb.jpg

post-76-0-65243900-1469145543_thumb.jpg

Some major milestones achieved Mark; looking good.  Keep nibbling away at each major process step and eventually you will get there :)

cheers

Pat

Edited by BANYAN

Carl,

Short answer.. no.  The gun room was (at least on English ships) where the chief gunner kept his stores (spare tools, locks, flints, parts, etc.) and possibly the Marines kept theirs including extra pistols, long guns, as well as tools.  One source maintained that even swords and pikes were stored there.   The powder room is even lower near the keel but I'm not able to figure out where exactly nor it's shape.  

Thanks for the "likes" and commentary...  

Making progress.   The beams are in for the lower deck.  There's probably another couple that I'll need to put in once I figure out the shape at the bow and stern.  The bow, not so much, but the stern looks different on the drawing than it does looking into the hull.  i think it's not at deck level... just has me scratching my head as I know the beams are all at the right height.

Anyway, I'm checking fore and main mast locations and then I'll be dropping a bit of string down the centerline to double check and pin down where I'll need the mizzen mast step, the three hatches, and the bowsprit step. I'm also plotting out the walls and cabins but won't get to far into that until the deck is planked.   Which... I'm hoping to get started on this week as soon as I can get the planks cut.  The actual next step with the waterways.  The wood has been selected (cherry) and the appropriate sized pieces selected.  

Here's pictures.   Feel free to point out any stupidity or errors on my part.   :)

post-76-0-34764500-1469405301_thumb.jpg

post-76-0-43283800-1469405358_thumb.jpg

Thanks as always for the likes and comments.

Looks good, Mark. What do you mean by 'the stern looks different on the drawing than it does looking into the hull'?

If I stare at something long enough, I'll usually realize what it is...  It's my mistake....  the last beam I have is 2-1/2" long.  On the drawing it's 3-1/2" long.  I think the drawing is looking from waterway to waterway which, if the beam is tapered or faired into the frames properly it would go past the clamp and end up being 3-1/2" long.  Not the end of the world... I may just shim out that area when I do the waterways and plank or I'll redo them.  I'm leaning towards a rework. I'm having my moments here wrapping my head around some of this.  

In my crude sketch... the black beam is how it looks now.  The red is how it should have been faired into the frame.]

post-76-0-88199600-1469422166.jpg

Edited by mtaylor

Owww ... Mark, you should take two measurements: One like you do now, and one where you flip over the pointed ends of your jig to be at the top, or put a block underneath the thickness of the beam. The latter will give you a different size in some cases, especially deep down in the hull. You can sand the angle on your beam to make it flush fit. Besides that, there is the curvature of the hull to take into account too, which implies four measures ...

It is easy to tell someone what to do, after the error is made, but your work does look great, even from this side of the globe!!! Well done.

Thanks for the likes and comments.  They are encouraging...  

Owww ... Mark, you should take two measurements: One like you do now, and one where you flip over the pointed ends of your jig to be at the top, or put a block underneath the thickness of the beam. The latter will give you a different size in some cases, especially deep down in the hull. You can sand the angle on your beam to make it flush fit. Besides that, there is the curvature of the hull to take into account too, which implies four measures ...

It is easy to tell someone what to do, after the error is made, but your work does look great, even from this side of the globe!!! Well done.

Thanks Carl.  But if there's an error, I don't mind ripping things apart...  Ask my scrap box about that.  :D  :D

you have been busy........the beams look great!   are you thinking that the planking will level it out,  by the time you reach the transom?  I wish I had more savvy with these types of ships......    but you've really done some nice work there   :)

Actually, Denis, the round up continues to sternpost, but the deck gets a lot narrower.   There's a rise in the planking according to the drawings but I'm currently one beam shy so I need to add that.  I'm still debating while getting set up to make deck planks.   Hahn simplified.  I like that philosophy but I also want it look right.  His decking is straight planks according the photos.  The French used wide amidships and then tapered them.  I studying the plans in the French monographs I have to see how and where they terminated the planking strakes.   At the stern, I'm thinking I can put a false deck from the last beam to the sternpost.   I'm still sorting out which will look better.  I'm not a 100% yet, but I feel like that's where I should be headed.   Maybe next ship will have all the bells and whistles and less simplification like carlings between the beams and knees.  

I don't fault Hahn.. I fault myself here.  There's still a learning curve going on.

Edited by mtaylor

I think when you begin the deck planking,  the solution will reveal itself.   it possibly could be walled off and hidden as well.......especially if you find a loss of info as to what is to go there.   rudder shaft?  ammo locker or sleeping quarters.........the gun deck would be above this deck,  I do believe.......it will cap it off.

Thanks again for the likes and comments.

This truly is a work in progress.   The situation is slowly resolving itself...   

Today's update is somewhat tiny... waterways.    The first picture shows the mill setup with the ball cutter.  I pass each waterway piece through the jig and each time take off more material.   Picture 2 shows the profile on a test piece that I'm aiming for.   I'll need to profile the side against the hull during installation to get a good fit.

post-76-0-55562400-1469563949_thumb.jpg

post-76-0-19295400-1469563964_thumb.jpg

Thanks Sam.   Uh...buy it again...?  No.  It's been discontinued and there were really were not accessories for it.   I've posted elsewhere on this that I think that when this one dies (or I just get tired of fiddling with getting things like vises to work) I'll get a different mill.  

Great progress Mark, she is really taking some definition now.  I like your mill set-up, you can keep some great control of the cuts/passes with that and the result is proof of the pudding.  Wat cutters do you use (manufacturer); that ball cutter seems very effective.  The cheap one I have just does not pass muster.

cheers

Pat

Thanks Pat.  They're a set I picked up at, I think, a local shop.  Supposedly carbide but only a few are really usable.  A couple have bent shafts and a couple more just aren't sharp.   The milling here is requiring a fair amount of cleanup. I think I'll be tossing these soon and buying better quality online...but not from E-Bay.  

Thanks for the "likes" and commentary...  

Making progress.   The beams are in for the lower deck.  There's probably another couple that I'll need to put in once I figure out the shape at the bow and stern.  The bow, not so much, but the stern looks different on the drawing than it does looking into the hull.  i think it's not at deck level... just has me scratching my head as I know the beams are all at the right height.

Anyway, I'm checking fore and main mast locations and then I'll be dropping a bit of string down the centerline to double check and pin down where I'll need the mizzen mast step, the three hatches, and the bowsprit step. I'm also plotting out the walls and cabins but won't get to far into that until the deck is planked.   Which... I'm hoping to get started on this week as soon as I can get the planks cut.  The actual next step with the waterways.  The wood has been selected (cherry) and the appropriate sized pieces selected.  

Here's pictures.   Feel free to point out any stupidity or errors on my part.   :)

attachicon.gif4-4.JPG

attachicon.gif4-5.JPG

Beautiful work Mark, 

I want to be able to do that when I grow up.... :P

Thumbs up,   Keith

Hi Mark -- Great work, and an interesting jig, which I want to try to copy.  As for cutters, you might check out Proxxon's store, run by Texxn5 (one of us guys on MSW).  I've bought some of his cutters that have worked very well -- in fact the Proxxon attachments are the only ones I've had any success with.

Here's a link

http://www.proxxontoolsdiscount.com/store/c12/Accessories_Lathes%2FMlls.html

Cheers,

Martin

Very nice beam work Mark and I agree with replacing the one that's too short.  It's just a minor redo and will not haunt you later on.  Yes, the gap can be covered by the waterway and or planking but you will always know and gnaw at you.

Cheers,