mtaylor

Licorne by mtaylor - (POF) - 3/16 - French Frigate (Hahn) - Version 2.0 - TERMINATED

Beautiful work Mark, 

I want to be able to do that when I grow up.... :P

Thumbs up,   Keith

What?  We have to grow up?    :D  :D

Hi Mark -- Great work, and an interesting jig, which I want to try to copy.  As for cutters, you might check out Proxxon's store, run by Texxn5 (one of us guys on MSW).  I've bought some of his cutters that have worked very well -- in fact the Proxxon attachments are the only ones I've had any success with.

Here's a link

http://www.proxxontoolsdiscount.com/store/c12/Accessories_Lathes%2FMlls.html

Cheers,

Martin

Darn... I forgot that John carries milling cutters.  Thanks for the reminder.

Very nice beam work Mark and I agree with replacing the one that's too short.  It's just a minor redo and will not haunt you later on.  Yes, the gap can be covered by the waterway and or planking but you will always know and gnaw at you.

Cheers,

Stay tuned Piet.  We've had a small change in plans do some repair work where I had to remove a bunch of beams.  The main mast step wasn't positioned exactly where it needed to be.  Anyway, the solution won't be accurate but it will be "interesting" to some.  

Mark,

YOU don't have to grow up. It's better you stay the way you are ;)

Ah, jippie SURPRISES ... I love it when you start interesting things. Usually they turn out far better than the first hand you laid at it ...

Thanks for the likes, the comments, and just looking in.... :)

Not a big update, but deck furniture (except for the mizzen mast step and the oven) are mostly done.  The main mast partner is coming out as I'm not happy looking at the picture.  Other than this partner, the oven and the mizzen step, everything else I salvaged from Version 1 for this build hit the scrapbox.   The main mast partner should be following.

post-76-0-04178900-1470012745_thumb.jpg

Edited by mtaylor

Wow, beautiful looking set of deck beams Mark and it looks like you also installed part of the waterways.  Deck furniture finished?  And you haven't shown any of it?  Or is that also salvaged from V1.0? 

Cheers,

No waterways yet,  Piet.  I think what you're seeing is the clamps for the gundeck (next deck up).  Didn't show any?  I got lazy with the camera and figured everyone knows coamings and grates since that was what I made new.  

I reworked the main mast partner and am currently bending the waterways using the Chuck method... but I'm using a hot air gun instead of a hair dryer as the hair dryer just didn't work for me.  Tomorrow, I hope to cut the planking for the deck and maybe get a waterway or two installed.

looking really good Mark.....nice to see some fitting in there.   are you going to plank the entire deck.......that would be the orlop deck {am I right?}

On an English ship, it probably would be the orlop.  The French frigates at this time (prior to the 12 and 18 pdrs) only had two full decks, the gundeck and the lower deck.  This be the lower deck.   

Currently, this deck is naked again.  I didn't like the way things were sitting on it.  I'm repositioning and still fiddling with waterways and cutting the deck planking.  

Yes, the entire deck (with two exceptions) will be planked, and cabins/storerooms, and breadrooms added.  This is more of personal challenge than anything else.  The two areas not being planked are forward of the forward partition which sits just behind the mainmast.  There's some issues I need to work through in my head yet on bowsprit step.  The second area is the gunroom.  No issues but the plaque had to be moved.  When I did some rework of the main mast step it came loose and I didn't want to rip out a bunch of beams to put it back.  I will leave the gunroom door open though.   ;)    Maybe if someone in a bunch of years looks in with an endoscope they'll find it.  Sort of an easter egg.  :D    Oh, I am doing the ceiling also.  Again more as a personal challenge.  

Finally back in the shipyard.  Only part time at this point but waiting for the last of the "re-decorating" projects that the Admiral ordered to arrive.  

I'm planking the lower deck and adding waterways at this point.  No pics yet as I'm experimenting with the best way to meet the "French style" of deck planking.  Seems they used a combination of tapering, hook scarfs in places, and drop planks. Then there's the mix of plank widths to contend with....but that's different headache at this point.   Once I'm done planking (and re-do's) I'll post some pictures.  

Thanks for all the "likes" and comments.  After getting everything else around the house done and then getting the new mill set up, i'm busily planking the lower deck.

The first six strakes are finally in and I'm happy with them although there's some serious sanding in my future as they aren't all the same thickness...  :(   But I've sorted out the planking scheme that I need to lay down.  This deck is all 1 foot wide and 4" thick planking.  It's actually thicker then the gundeck which is 3" thick but mostly not as wide.  I'll fight that battle when I get to the gundeck as there are some varying widths and thicknesses there.  

For the lower deck, as near as I can find, the planks are all run pretty much the same width from fore to aft with hook scarfs at the bow and some tapering at the stern.  I'm going full width but with the partitions fore and aft, I'm not planking much beyond them...  One reason is that the Admirals Plaque is behind the aft partition in the gunroom.

Here's a pic.  

post-76-0-94676700-1473039375_thumb.jpg

Beautiful work Mark~!  Thanks for posting.  

BTW, I bought the Micro Mark heavy duty mill with several key tooling items and am very happy with it.  It has a brushless motor that has some real muscle and the collets hold the cutters snug and true.  The dividing head is very useful for making capstan barrels and the like.  At the moment I am milling a set of oar locks for a peapod, which will be a gift to one of my granddaughters.  

Duff

G'day Mark

Beautiful job on the deck planking so far. Don't cover up that plaque.......it would be a SIN.

Dumb question for you. Do the French ships use KING PLANKS (in the centre) which are thicker planks thank the rest, on the top deck like the English ships? If they do, what's the name of it?

Havagoodone memattieee

Greg

Edited by Greg the peg leg sailor

Beautiful work Mark~!  Thanks for posting.  

BTW, I bought the Micro Mark heavy duty mill with several key tooling items and am very happy with it.  It has a brushless motor that has some real muscle and the collets hold the cutters snug and true.  The dividing head is very useful for making capstan barrels and the like.  At the moment I am milling a set of oar locks for a peapod, which will be a gift to one of my granddaughters.  

Duff

The MM heavy duty mill is a totally different critter than the one I had.   This new one is probably closer to yours in function.   :)

G'day Mark

Beautiful job on the deck planking so far. Don't cover up that plaque.......it would be a SIN.

Dumb question for you. Do the French ships use KING PLANKS (in the centre) which are thicker planks thank the rest, on the top deck like the English ships? If they do, what's the name of it?

Havagoodone memattieee

Greg

The Admiral and I talked about it.  This one is the "Easter Egg"... hidden.  There will be another on the base and perhaps different wording.   The hidden one is there just in case the outer is lost.  Wishful thinking that someone might find my model interesting enough to look inside with an endoscope.  

I can't speak for "all" French ships... but on the lower decks, there are two strakes to the outside of the main hatch and run full length of the deck. These are thicker than "normal" planks and let into the beams.  On the gundeck, similar but with thicker planks between the two strakes.  All being let into the beams such that the deck is smooth.  There's also another row of strakes on the gundeck about midway between the hull and the centerline (on each side) that thicker and let into the beams.  

great to see some planking going on.....I like the changes you made to the holds and the mast steps.   perhaps figuring out a way to sand a group of the strips to the same thickness,  before you cut them to plank length.........might lessen sanding in such close quarters.   that's going to be a task and a half!

she's looking good!   :)