Licorne (1755) by mtaylor - (POF) - 3/16 - French Frigate (Hahn) - Version 2.0 - TERMINATED

sorry to hear that Mark.......I hope it won't set you back too badly.   she's looking really good :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Ouch!! The Deathstar didn't realise it shouldn't die on itself!!! So much for hightech ... a lot of thech, far to high to be safe. Be glad USS Visa didn't sink, which cannot be said for EU Visa. We'll just have to wait a bit longer on your handcrafted planking ;)

It was my fault entirely.  I did some high power (close to max) on some wood to see if I could cut it and also I had some abberations showing up in the mA meter a week or two ago when I was re-calibrating after getting the new lens.  While cutting the cradles, I got distracted and bumped the power level to beyond max...  poof... zap.. and all the smoke got out of the parts.   My concern now is that the controller card got knocked out but those who know say that's "unlikely"... :huh:

Ouch indeed. Those rebel alliance x-wing fighters can be a real pain sometimes...

Nick

Note to self:  put a guard grate over the exhaust duct.  :D

Oy, hit, repeat hit, on HMS Visa and the Deathstar.  :(

We are so enamored of the tech stuff. ;) And once in, you can't just punt. Good luck with rebuilding the Deathstar. :rolleyes::D

How very true.  Parts are on their way but I have enough hand work stuff going on that waiting for them won't create a problem.

Forgot to ask ... Do you get your lightsabre and warp drive before Xmas, or do you/we need to wait all that time ...?

I didn't know I was entitled to them....  I best go talk to the emperor. :rolleyes:

HMS Visa.....

New build Mark ??? :D  :D

Sjors

HMS Visa = credit card.    ;)  :)

sorry to hear that Mark.......I hope it won't set you back too badly.   she's looking really good :)

No.  I had to cut the cradles out anyway but I was using the laser for marking the wood with the design.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

The way I see it Mark, this is no choice and the only way to go is with an even powerful tube for the DeathStar.

post-18302-0-76879500-1481064687.jpeg

DON'T FORGET THE SHARKS NEED LASER TUBES AS WELL!

Member:

Connecticut Marine Model Society

Nautical Research Guild

Model Ship World

"So we beat on, boats against the current, bourne back ceaselessly into the past" F. Scott Fitzgerald - The Great Gatsby

"If at first you don’t succeed.......skydiving is probably not for you”

The way I see it Mark, this is no choice and the only way to go is with an even powerful tube for the DeathStar.

DON'T FORGET THE SHARKS NEED LASER TUBES AS WELL!

Dr. Evil

I'm already beyond a stock tube...  I really can't go higher power without a lot of cash and time.   And let the sharks get their own lasers....  :D  :D  :D

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

BTW Mark, how much does a new laser tube cost? Thanks, J.

Member:

Nautical Research Guild

Model Ship World

"So we beat on, boats against the current, bourne back ceaselessly into the past" F. Scott Fitzgerald - The Great Gatsby

BTW Mark, how much does a new laser tube cost? Thanks, J.

Depends on the tube.  I ordered a 45W (which was tested and is putting out 50W) for $250 (not counting discount special going on) from lightobject.com.   The power supply came from Automation Technologies.   I think the tube supplier is getting better tubes from China these days.  The last one was rated at 45W and tested for 45W max.  The new one is the same tube I ordered the last time but the 50W is hit and with less input amperage.   Same for the power supply.  The replacement is higher rated for output and has a fan for cooling.  

As I'm understanding it, the Chinese are in a mad race.... their lax patent rules and enforcement are coming back to haunt them, so the legit suppliers are stepping up efforts for quality in manufacturing and improvements in design while petitioning and pushing the government to crackdown on the patent/copyright infringers.

But I digress...

I discovered the sequence of events and Murphy's part in this....   the water pump failed during a long, high-powered cut (which I contributed to per the above) which took out the tube from overheating... which took out the power supply.. which took out the controller board.   Water pump and controller are on order and should be here late this week.  I think that when the tube went, the 25kV followed the water down the high voltage cable to the power supply and there, all havoc was unleashed.    Oh... all this equipment went out in the process of protecting the fuses.  Not a single fuse blew.  Go figure.

As time permits, I'm still working on the cradles, but given the state of the workshop with laser parts all over, there's not much bench space for ship work.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Hang in there Mark! :)

Member:

Nautical Research Guild

Model Ship World

Even the Empire had to rebuild their Death Star once. Hopefully your rebuild has a better outcome then theirs did....  :P 

"A Smooth Sea NEVER made a Skilled Sailor"
- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Current Builds - Royal Louis - Mamoli

Royal Caroline - Panart

Completed - Wood - Le Soleil Royal - Sergal - Build Log & Gallery

La Couronne - Corel - Build Log & Gallery

Rattlesnake - Model Shipways, HMS Bounty - Constructo

Plastic - USS Constitution - Revel (twice), Cutty Sark.

Unfinished - Plastic - HMS Victory - Heller, Sea Witch.

Member : Nautical Research Guild

Carl ---  Not quite everything yet.  If Murphy will go bother someone else instead of me, I would appreciate it.  I just wouldn't wish him on anyone here on MSW.   :huh:

EJ --- I'm trying.  I think I need a better cover over the exhaust port.   :)

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Just a minor setback, Sam.  The last of the parts needed will be in tomorrow and once it's back together, maybe I can find my way back to Licorne.  She's in this mess somewhere.....  :D  :D  :D

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

I suppose there's something to be said for good old-fashioned, lo-tech hand tools....

Quite so, Druxey

This is my state of the art wordprocesserpost-33-0-16501700-1481877310.jpg

My ultra modern encrypting machinepost-33-0-74409600-1481878155.png

AND the latest super fine automatic scrollsawpost-33-0-99246600-1481877430.jpg alias "Finger cutter"

Edited by cog

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

wow........you have the high end scroll saw!  it's adjustable,  so you can use different size blades!  :D  :D

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Been a bit since the last update.  Thanks for following along on this journey of discovery and sawdust and for the likes and the comments.

A bit of a minor/major milestone... the ship is in the cradle... YIPPEE!!!!!

The next step is start removing the build board and trimming down the frames to the sheer strake(s).  

I considered pedestals versus a cradle as I didn't want to stress the keel, etc .nor did I want to attempt to put a large baseboard on at this point.  The cradle just seems (to me) to be steadier and stronger.  I noted that I do seem to get some wobble on my Constellation which is on pedestals.  It could be my method of mounting is faulty or just the way it is with them.

The cradle is 1/4" mahogany (see photo).  After finessing it into position, assembling it and re-finessing, I drilled a 3/32" hole through the cradle and inserted a brass tube of the appropriate diameter.  I mounted the cradle into position, and drilled (using the tubing as a drill guide) a 1/16" hole through the keel, frames and keelson.  A brass rod was inserted with a light coating of epoxy.  When set, the cradles were set into place with more epoxy on the brass rod and in two places on each end of the cradle.  The structure seems sound and steady. 

I tried to design the cradle so as not to hide the lines of her and I think I pretty much succeeded.   At some point, the hole where the crosspieces go through the cradle will be covered by a small carving on each.  I'm leaning towards a fleur de lis.

Anyway, here's the pictures.

post-76-0-20720200-1482474229_thumb.jpg

post-76-0-49743800-1482474237_thumb.jpg

post-76-0-43742600-1482474245_thumb.jpg

post-76-0-09989500-1482474252_thumb.jpg

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

I think the cradle will be a good idea. The hull looks wonderful and I know it will be gratifying to finally cut the build board away. Good work.

Russ

Lovely hull Mark,

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

It is good to see her lines and coloring. Very nice work. I too agree that the cradle is the way to go especially while you are still building her. Pedestals make a nice display but not so nice for stability when you are still building. Looking forward to seeing the build board off of her!

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

It is good to see her lines and coloring. Very nice work. I too agree that the cradle is the way to go especially while you are still building her. Pedestals make a nice display but not so nice for stability when you are still building. Looking forward to seeing the build board off of her!

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

WOW. Nice cradle Mark.  Really sets the model off ! Now to remove the "flight deck" and you're back to the 17th (or is it 18th?) century look. :D :D :D

Very nice progress Mark! I hope she doesn't get topheavy with the planes on :D.

-Elijah

Current build(s):

Continental Gunboat Philadelphia by Model Shipways

https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/15753-continental-gunboat-philadelphia-by-elijah-model-shipways-124-scale/

Completed build(s):

Model Shipways Phantom

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?showtopic=12376

Member of:

The Nautical Research Guild

N.R.M.S.S. (Nautical Research and Model Ship Society)