Licorne (1755) by mtaylor - (POF) - 3/16 - French Frigate (Hahn) - Version 2.0 - TERMINATED

Your way of making those frames at that size is the safe way of doing it.  It may be a hassel.  But you have to put your pinkys first.

David B

Or, hope something trashes the saw and I can justify buying the Jim Saw. 

Mark, I am thinking .308 at about 250 yards. I'll bring my Proxon and we can have a "blast"

I gotta agree with you on blade guards, crutches in my opinion, they make you safety lazy. OSHA disagrees unfortunately, as we just found out at work. :( 

Sam

Current Build Constructo Enterprise

Hi David -

Although both ways can get the job done, I have to disagree a bit with your take on safety.  Kickback is caused by the workpiece being trapped and squeezed between the blade and fence.  When it catches the spinning blade throws it back at the worker.  The way Mark has his saw set up, the larger piece of wood is in this position.  If it kicks back it could cause some damage.  If the small piece kicks back, a strip 1/32" x 1/8" can't do a lot of harm. 

As for pinkies, that's what push sticks are for.  I use them all the time.

Dan

Current build -SS Mayaguez (c.1975) scale 1/16" = 1' (1:192) by Dan Pariser

Prior scratch builds - Royal yacht Henrietta, USS Monitor, USS Maine, HMS Pelican, SS America, SS Rex, SS Uruguay, Viking knarr, Gokstad ship, Thames River Skiff , USS OneidaSwan 42 racing yacht  Queen Anne's Revenge (1710) SS Andrea Doria (1952), SS Michelangelo (1962) , Queen Anne's Revenge (2nd model) USS/SS Leviathan (1914),  James B Colgate (1892),  POW bone model (circa 1800) restoration

Prior kit builds - AL Dallas, Mamoli Bounty. Bluejacket America, North River Diligence, Airfix Sovereign of the Seas

"Take big bites.  Moderation is for monks."  Robert A. Heinlein

Dan,

I slept on what you've said and I'm going to rethink things on the saw.  You're right about the kickback.  I've been lucky so far. I'm thinking that a small mod to the tall fence to give some clearance at the rear of the blade (it's an add-on) might do the trick.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

If the small piece kicks back, a strip 1/32" x 1/8" can't do a lot of harm.

Dan true, however I do prefer to have the lager piece next to the fence it is much easier to push and control, I think that setting up to avoid the pinching at the rear of the blade is better, but that is just my experience.

I'm thinking that a small mod to the tall fence to give some clearance at the rear of the blade (it's an add-on) might do the trick.

Mark I think that this is a good thing to do, as you say this is an add on perhaps a small shim at the end towards the operator would cause a slight rake or anlge from the front to the rear of the blade.

I would also be tempted to set up a solid indexing block forward of the start of the blade, like the one in that thread. I am not a huge fan of feather boards. that said I do use them occasionally.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

I'm a big fan of pushsticks and feather boards, even though I don't currently have the featherboards. I'm debating whether to make them or buy from MicroMark.

John

Current Current Builds:

US Brig Niagara on my website

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

New Bedford Whaleboat - page on my Morgan Website:  http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com/whaleboat-build-log-by-john-fleming.html

C.W. Morgan - Model Shipways 1:64 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1785-cw-morgan-by-texxn5-johnf-ms-164-kit/

USS Constitution - Revell 1:96 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1796-uss-constitution-by-texxn5-johnf-revell-196-kit/

website US Brig Niagara Model http://www.niagaramodel.com

website Charles W Morgan Model http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com

website PROXXON DISCOUNT TOOL STORE http://proxxontoolsdiscount.com

I've been fiddling with the saw while waiting for glue to dry.  I put a shim into the forward end of the fence (the tall add-on) and it cants just enough so the back of the blade isn't hitting the plank coming off.   I'm thinking about Jeff from HobbyMill's method for a guide fence on the feed side.  He uses a block of wood and his thumb...  hmm....I'm still considering similar to an Indexing Block as a viable alternative.   So many choices, just need to figure out which is best for me. 

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Just a brief update...no pics.    The longboat is on hold.  There's a couple of areas I'm not happy with and need to re-think.  Yeah... I know... "don't overthink this".  :)

My cherry wood for the framing has been shipped by Jeff at Hobbymill and is due to arrive here on Tuesday.  Happy dance time.... post-76-0-75779200-1396553999.gif

The Le Venus book in also in transit, so.... I need to reconfigure the shipyard from small boats to big hulls.  I have some odds and ends to finish up around the house, etc.  Plus I'll get some parts cut out for use during framing while sorting out some side issues with this build.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

It was funny, today.  No more than 30 minutes after posting my last, the Le Venus book was delivered.  Very impressive monograph and service from ANCRE.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

The problem inthis hobby is that good books are not cheap.  When I went to the conferences.  Seawatch knew I would be dropping by and there went my budget.

David B

So true, David.  But there's a joy in the books beyond the info.  In this case, the rigging plan alone is worth the price not counting some of the detail stuff.   I'm studying these plans and monograph and realize that there's a lot  more to this ship than what Hahn shows.  I'm thinking that I'll have make a serious parts order or three for rigging material... hooks, deadeyes, blocks, ring bolts and eyebolts.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Christmas in April!!!  :)   Wood has arrived from Jeff at Hobbymill.  Wonderful wood and it's perfectly dimensioned.  I'm plotting out the frame blanks and hope to start making sawdust later this evening.

Time to start getting this build back on the road.... err... building slip.  The wood isn't warped, the camera is having issues. I think it was the setting I choose.

post-76-0-39302500-1397007342_thumb.jpg

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

The whole lot, John????   Sheesh... you don't want much.  :D  :D :D  :D  

Sam,  amen...

This seriously the best wood I've ever received.  Perfectly dimensioned from end to end and smooth enough I can leave the sander in the closet.  And yes, it's happy dance time.post-76-0-44284300-1397009890.gif

Frolick,  it is indeed.  It's a wealth of information but I have to sift through it since it's actually later than Licorne, even though the rigging is same (according to Hahn).  There's also some good details that didn't change much that I'll incorporate. 

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Better than growing your own trees.  Whoopie  :cheers:

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Nothing quite like a batch of fresh timber from Hobbymill. Makes me start drooling just looking at the pics! Happy dance indeed! :)

seeing that paper is made from wood by products.......was that considered to be  'bulk mail'?

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

There's nothing like a perfect piece of wood - that's why I lean toward good antique furniture instead of modern plastic and sawdust compressed stuff.  :P

Okay we've seen the 'pre-sawdust' photos and now looking forward to the 'post sawdust' installment!

Sherry

Every goodbye is the birth of a memory...

Current Build: San Felipe

Finished Builds: Mayflower Build Log

Gallery: Mayflower

You Lucky Devil Mark,

I felt the same when my Swiss Pear turned up from Jeff, happy wood dance and had to keep going downstairs to the workshop to look at it, I hope he outlives me as I have many more purchases to make from him! Lol.

So where is the sawdust we are all waiting for??

Ben

Ah no more excuses about waiting for the wood in the mail.... nice!

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Ah, I think I can even smell the sawdust from here :)  Happy modelling Mark.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Thanks for the support and the likes...

Minor milestone... took the big pieces of wood and made about 850 small pieces of wood.  Oh... and sawdust.  :)

I've closed the sawpits for now and the pieces have been sent to the yard for gluing up into frame blanks and then cutting into frames.

Here's pics... and for those who wanted it.. a picture of (naturally) the sawdust from cutting the pieces.

post-76-0-26752800-1397520263_thumb.jpg

Hopefully, I didn't mis-count but I still have some "big" pieces left just in case.

post-76-0-91900700-1397520259_thumb.jpg

Now where did I stash that really large bottle of glue??

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Instant wood filler!

Thats a lot of little wood pieces. When I worked in my first furniture shop I used to tell people who asked what I did for a living, "I cut big pieces of wood into smaller pieces and then glue them back into big pieces of wood" Looks like your doing the same thing here just on a smaller scale.

Looks like you had a very productive day!

Sam

Current Build Constructo Enterprise