mtaylor

Licorne by mtaylor - (POF) - 3/16 - French Frigate (Hahn) - Version 2.0 - TERMINATED

Thanks Mark, and to every one else.

I'll be starting the next 2 boats in the morning.  I'm going to work them at the same time as it'll save me some repetition time like having to reset the laser for each thickness of wood since I can cut two with one setting.  I'm finishing up tweaking the drawings from what I learned on the first one.  So diving off the deep end again but into familiar waters.

hey there Mark...........just caught up with your log!   sorry to hear that you were having problems.......haven't visited here as much as I would like to.   I'm hoping to find my way back to the wood side soon ;)    glad to read on that things have gotten better for you,  but I'll keep my fingers crossed that you can get back to a norm that makes you happy.   great job on the ship's boat.......looks like you've rekindled the mojo to continue with this project. :) 

truly super job.......keep good thoughts

Thanks for the likes and comments.   Time for a proof of life update.

Life has gotten quite a bit quieter lately, which is good.  So I focused on these little boats.  The barge (the middle sized one) jig went well and so deciding to be bold and do both at the same time, I started on the cutter jig.  Hmm... not so good.  It's smaller and everything is proportionally more fragile.  So.... spent a lot of time remake parts that I broke in the fitting.  I solved the breakage problem by reducing down the laser marking in thickness and expanding the "bits" that hold the pieces together.  Ended up coating many of them with 2 coats of white glue and water.  Seems to work and tests say I'll be able to snap those naughty bits on the lines without damage.

The jigs are built, the keels installed with few other necessary bits and pieces and I'm ready to start actually building the boats.  So, I'm off to fix the ribs and start planking.  Here's a photo of the jigs and the larger boat (finished).  The Longboat (finished) is 6 inches long (152.4mm), the barge is 5 inches (127mm), and the cutter is 4 inches (101.6mm) long.

13-aa.thumb.JPG.2f27800638aa0166e3593195923ac4be.JPG

Hi Mark, just catching up on your build. Great job you have did on your long boat and yes those new swivel mounts do look a lot nicer and realistic, WELL DONE. Your new boats jigs sure are nice and detailed, almost like a build in them selves, keep up the great work,                    ENJOY.

Regards   Lawrence

Thanks for the comments and likes.   As brief update, the small one is being started over again as there's some issues (probably I'm the issue) with the thinness of the woods for the jig and smaller curves for the frames.  I'm reworking and rethinking this as I plank the larger one.   And then there's life getting in the way in good way.  Ran into an old friend where I used to work and we're seeing each other.

Finally... an update.

The two remaining small boats are on hold for now.  I needed a change of pace and break from those fiddly things.

I've installed the forecastle and quarterdeck beams.  And also installed the pumps.  Clearances have been checked and re-checked for rigging to come at a much later date.

Next up is planking the decks and associated bulwarks.  I'm starting with forecastle.  Here's photos:

5-20.thumb.JPG.6265fc160024a35bafaa90f2acb90e82.JPG7-1.thumb.JPG.da98addd30cc6cf1627be961c627de89.JPG6-1.thumb.JPG.1ddd672e0b6c2c0aa465aa5c23ac598c.JPG5-21.thumb.JPG.621d1e6390f83071f90e0dc9af51c8a5.JPG

I had to get the camera repaired and it would appear that the repairs were successful.

Till next time.

Hello Mark, First of all Happy Belated Birthday, sorry but I got so tied up in my one sort of thing and misted it. However I do hope that you had a great day and that you received all the new toys that you had hopped for and just maybe a few more.

Great job you are doing on your ship, she sure is looking spiffy and well done, Great Work. I do have a question for you if you do not mind and that is how did you cut your ship from the building jig. I do realize that I have quite a way to go before I reach that stage with my Oliver Cromwell. But have been thinking about just how to go about this little problem, any help that you can give me would be greatly appreciated,                               ENJOY.

Regards   Lawrence

19 minutes ago, mtaylor said:

Lawrence,

If I remember right, it was an X-acto handle with an X-acto saw blade.   These are at the blades: https://www.amazon.com/Xacto-X215-Blades-15-Pkg/dp/B000BREQDO  The Handle is this one:  http://www.xacto.com/products/cutting-solutions/knives/detail/X3261

Thanks Mark, will have to get a few on order to have them on hand,                       ENJOY.

regards   Lawrence

I thank you for the likes comments.  But I do have sad news.  I'm indefinitely pausing this builds.   There's some minor errors but basically, since what has happened in my personal life, I can't stand to look or work on her.   So for now, until I can get through the healing process, she will be, as the British Navy would say: "In Ordinary" pending further decisions.

Mark, I'm sorry to hear this. I do want to thank you for sharing all that you've done thus far, so many of us have learned so much from you. Whatever choice you make down the road, you've helped so many people by sharing this that the project is already a wonderful achievement.