Licorne (1755) by mtaylor - (POF) - 3/16 - French Frigate (Hahn) - Version 2.0 - TERMINATED

That is a first for me.  Once I adjusted my Sherline I never had any problems  I would never have thought looking ther.

David B

David,

That's one of the reasons why when (not if, since all power tools die) this one dies, a Sherline will be in my future.  ;)

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I'm still sorting things out and testing.  I made a batch of colored glue using EdT's instructions but with black pigment instead of the raw umber he used.  I've tested it and may have to add a touch more pigment.

Here's a photo of a wood sample I worked up.  

Bottom section is cherry, boxwood, and swiss pear with three coats of wipe on poly, sanded with 600 grit paper between coats. I'm happy with the poly and will (hopefully) use boxwood for the keel, stem, and stern (including rudder).  Cherry is framing and Swiss Pear is the external planking.

Top half was with the colored glue.  Boxwood, Swiss Pear, and Silver Maple.   I like the effect though I need a tad more practice with it.  Maybe a bit darker but I'll hold until I can see it under something other than a gray, overcast sky and indoor lighting.  Testing will continue.

post-76-0-54076600-1392851514_thumb.jpg

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I like the look. Are you going to experiment with the umber too and compare them?

David B

Uh... no.  The only shop in town that carried pigments is where I bought this and they were closing out that line. 

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Hi Mark, glad to see you getting started again. Good luck and keep it up. I like choice of colors and woods.

John

Current Current Builds:

US Brig Niagara on my website

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

New Bedford Whaleboat - page on my Morgan Website:  http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com/whaleboat-build-log-by-john-fleming.html

C.W. Morgan - Model Shipways 1:64 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1785-cw-morgan-by-texxn5-johnf-ms-164-kit/

USS Constitution - Revell 1:96 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1796-uss-constitution-by-texxn5-johnf-revell-196-kit/

website US Brig Niagara Model http://www.niagaramodel.com

website Charles W Morgan Model http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com

website PROXXON DISCOUNT TOOL STORE http://proxxontoolsdiscount.com

Never enough testing ...

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

Mark,

Have you seen "Tints-All" in your local Home Depot or Lowes? They are small tubes of UTC. The HD here in Los Angeles carries it as well as The Do It Center. Dont know if Do It is in OR though. I have used these for stains, tinting clears for toning and color correction as well as tinting small amounts of paint. Would be an easy way for you to try umber if you wanted.

http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/tints-all-universal-tinting-colorant-1-1-2-oz-tube.aspx

Sam

Current Build Constructo Enterprise

I like your test panels, Mark. Tthey are always worth the effort.

I have moved to using dark brown acrylic latex paint between the edges of planking.  This method is only practical if you can paint one side of flat stock before ripping off the planks, but it gives a very even line - almost like using dark paper.  You can always add coats to make more of a caulk line or use lighter brown to make the lines more subtle.  However, I have also used a ton of darkened glue and still do.

Cheers,

Ed

Thanks for the comments.

Sam - I've not seen it but than I may be looking in the wrong place in the store. 

Ed - I've liked that idea but my planking, sadly, is all precut.  Maybe the next one I'll cut it myself. 

The build is officially underway.  All tools, cleaned, adjusted, and repaired.  Well, except for my thickness sander which shredded a belt.  New Thurston saw blades are on the way but I have some spare new ones from MM that I'll use until the new ones get here. 

I've started the keel.  Pics will pop up when I'm done. 

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Mark, you ca buy them through the link (I have never bought from that company, just the first thing that came up on Google)

I have always found them in the paint dept. but sometimes they can be hard to find. OSH may still carry them.

The build is under way, Woo Hoo! grabs an adult beverage and sits back to watch.

Sam

Edited by src

Current Build Constructo Enterprise

All right then! Under way and making way.  I'll just top up my adult beverage of choice and send Sjors off for more popcorn. Pictures should be ready by the time he gets back. ;):P 

Thanks for the "likes".

Sam -- I'll check the Lowe's website then.  I discovered you can order and then pickup the item usually in a hour.  Saves a lot of wandering about the store and keeps me out of the tool department. :)

Grant --  I will be awhile... maybe tomorrow on the pictures.  I'm now on keel #3..  Rule of thumb:  Don't sneeze when cutting a part on the table saw.  Did it twice.  Third time seems to be the charm.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

I was wrong.... about tomorrow for pictures.  Keel #3 went well......  boxwood for the keel and ebony for the false keel.  I'll need to touch the keel notches lightly with a file later when I'm ready to mount it to the frames.  If you're so inclined, clicking on the pics will enlarge them.

post-76-0-51528900-1393138836_thumb.jpg

post-76-0-18359100-1393138838_thumb.jpg

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Good looking start on the keel Mark.

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Thanks Michael.   I compared this shot to one I did for Verson 1.0 and I'm a lot happier with it.  I guess it's good to have a reference for improvement.  ;)

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Looking really good! Your past experience with version 1 and starting all over inspires me to not give up and take my time. I am sure that this version will be ten times better. Keep at it and I look forward to more pics.

Kenny

Kenny

Current Builds:   HMS Winchelsea   MS US Frigate Confederacy

On Hold: Continental Frigate Raleigh 1777

Completed Builds: MS 18th Century Longboat   Dinghy - Midwest Kit    H.M.S Triton Cross Section 1/48   Chesapeake Bay Flattie - Midwest Kit

Future Builds: MS English Pinnace;  OcCre Endurance;  Revenue Cutter Cheerful

Mark, that looks like a promising start. I wish you all the best for your second attempt

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

Mark, there are two "W" things to decide between

Wrirte

or

Work

What will be your choice ?

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

Very  nice Mark. It's really rewarding to look back and see an improvement.

I'm sure there will be many more in the future. :) 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1/48  Duchess of Kingston

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Nice, nice ,nice.

And I see a statue of your self ??????

But I think you have to grown up when you are at the railing..... :P

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

That may be Odin, Sjors.  I'm sure Mark will explain.  No matter ---- it's good to see blade to wood once again!

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Wow Mark....off and running.....can't look back now, no excuses.....fantastic start

John

Current Current Builds:

US Brig Niagara on my website

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

New Bedford Whaleboat - page on my Morgan Website:  http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com/whaleboat-build-log-by-john-fleming.html

C.W. Morgan - Model Shipways 1:64 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1785-cw-morgan-by-texxn5-johnf-ms-164-kit/

USS Constitution - Revell 1:96 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1796-uss-constitution-by-texxn5-johnf-revell-196-kit/

website US Brig Niagara Model http://www.niagaramodel.com

website Charles W Morgan Model http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com

website PROXXON DISCOUNT TOOL STORE http://proxxontoolsdiscount.com

Thanks for the "likes" and the nice comments.   I've started the stem... but we'll see where that leads.  Having some minor issues which I'll get into later. 
But, the sawdust is hitting the floor and that's a good feeling.

Nenad -- work? What's that?  I'm retired.  :)  Oh... work on the ship...That's what I'll do.  ;)

Augie -- Odin????  No hammers.  No helmet with horns.  No lightning bolts.  Nope, not him or me.  It's just one of the shipyard crew.

Why is it that suddenly, I'm not concerned about do-overs for the tiniest thing???   :D  :D :D  :D  

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

I meant that I don't mind do-overs for the smallest of reasons.   I hope that's the way it was read.  ...

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds: