Licorne (1755) by mtaylor - (POF) - 3/16 - French Frigate (Hahn) - Version 2.0 - TERMINATED

Thanks for looking in and the comments.   I think I'll pass on the daisy cutter discussion.  

7 hours ago, Dowmer said:

Mark,

in reference to the swivels, I too found it difficult to find specific reference to how they were mounted.  I have plenty of original info that they were used.  Especially for shore work, cutting out expeditions, boarding parties, native attacks etc.

I did find one blueprint in the NMM that appears to show a swivel mount.  Located centrally up forward.  I chose to model something similar on my 18th century longboat as fitted out on a merchantman in the 1790s during the PNW fur trade. I took into consideration that the weight of the swivels on the gunwale would have made the boat lean to one side or another unless they were balanced on both sides.  Another reason I mounted it centrally was to allow a clear sweep forward. Perhaps the pictures will give you some ideas how you will want to mount yours.  

Thanks Downer.   I'm using the ANCRE plans for this which, while similar, are different.  The French longboat has 4 mounts, one at each "corner".   See the drawing below.

Longboat1.thumb.jpg.7fc9ed794f6b16503b3b04e34917a475.jpg

5 hours ago, John Allen said:

Mark,

After a quick check I find the nickname for the one pounder  :pirate41:in the 1800s was called by the British an insurance cannon and was a falconet, according to Wipedia believe you were looking for something more apropos  like stinging bee, little killer, or a solid shot enema for those trying to board from  longboats.

I'm sure this is not what you were looking for but threw it out there anyway.

I've never heard that term before for these pieces.  But then the Brits have a way with wording.

4 hours ago, cog said:

Mark,

know your classics: The Bolitho series ... something to read for you (28 vols will keep you busy for a short while :D)

I'll go look that up, Carl.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

1 hour ago, mtaylor said:

The French longboat has 4 mounts, one at each "corner"

Something like The French Chaloupe Armée en Guerre from the Delacroix drawings. There are some good examples in the scratch build forum

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

VERY nice work Mark.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

7 hours ago, cog said:

Something like The French Chaloupe Armée en Guerre from the Delacroix drawings. There are some good examples in the scratch build forum

Very similar though I think (I'll have to go find my book and check) but I think it was much larger.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Looks great Mark!

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Cleaned up and dyed the oarlocks and then installed them.  Also made the cannon (let's call them "popguns" ;)) mounts and installed them.  The only thing left is the sheave and supports on the stern.  The catch is I'm tad undecided as there's three distinct types... there's a sheave on top of the stern, or a sheave hanging off the stern to the rear (not onto) or there's no sheave.   I'll ponder this a bit longer while I work on the chocks for putting this boat into the hull.   I'm also working and tweaking the plans for the barge which is smaller, unarmed (no cannon mounts) and looks essentially like the barge.  I put a dime and Pierre into the second picture to give a sense of scale.

Here's the pictures.  Not perfect but I'm pretty happy with it.  So unless I get a sudden "ah-hah.. I can do this better" moment, on the next barge.

13-s.thumb.JPG.618e8a802128e2423d4a0b066cc35e3e.JPG

13-t).thumb.JPG.3dbf705c12fdabcf50d381dad765ea75.JPG

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

On ‎5‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 2:50 AM, mtaylor said:

Not perfect but I'm pretty happy with it.

I think you should be happy with it Mark.  It's very nice.

Gary

Current Build   Pelican Eastern-Rig Dragger  

Completed Scratch Builds

Rangeley Guide Boat   New England Stonington Dragger   1940 Auto Repair Shop   Mack FK Shadowbox    

54 minutes ago, Jim Lad said:

but the dime means nothing outside of your borders!

Doesn't mean much WITHIN our borders! :unsure::( 10 cents does not go as far as it once did 

Edited by lmagna

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

So what you two say: A dime is worthless ... Well lads, gimme a couple a milion of them and I'll be fine :)

Mark for size ... it doesn't mean a lot ... to me at least

Edited by cog

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

6 hours ago, cog said:

gimme a couple a milion of them and I'll be fine :)

I would like to see that much extra as well. BUT $200,000 can go all to quickly also! :( I do admit it would be fun for at least a little while though.

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Thanks for the likes and comments.

Thanks for the link Johann.  Yours was one of the logs I tried to emulate.  I failed in that yours is just about perfect.  I know mine is not but I am happy the way it turned out.

The dime is about 17mm in diameter.  Pierre is 30 mm from bottom of the base to top of his measuring staff.   For those not on metric... Pierre is 1-1/8".

I guess I need to sort out a universal measurement. Something creative but I'll have to be careful.  I can't use a sparrow as there are differences between the European and African sparrow according to Monte Python.

Didn't get a chance today to work on things but the last bit is the chocks on deck for the long boat. 

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Thanks for the comments, the likes, and sticking with this journey.   No worries on the dime anymore... I spent it.

I made the chocks and installed them into the Licorne.  I've since been attacking the drawings making fixes for error areas discovered on this boat.  Here's some pictures of it in place.  It's not glued in yet as I need access to the area astern where the mainmast goes.  Once I'm done figuring out if I need to pre-installed suitable lengths of line for rigging the mast, I'll do that.  I suspect this will keep me off the streets and out of trouble for a few days. :P

13-u.thumb.JPG.b440be3e96c1bbe506306a80330af95a.JPG

13-w.thumb.JPG.2177f8b3c68af72ece70b47fd12dbe04.JPG

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Thanks Carl, but the blue is only temporary tape to be removed later.  I hate dropping parts into bowels of the ship never to be seen again.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Looking really sweet Mark. I hope you spent the dime wisely...perhaps on some TicTacs, the international unit of scale measurement! 😉

Nice work Mark, the boat is coming along.

I noticed it looks like the swivel stanchions in the bow angle out.  Is that intentional?  It though they were cut to sit upright so the swivel mount was level.  Anyway, that is the way they look on Johanns model and the blueprints.

Able bodied seaman, subject to the requirements of the service.

"I may very well sink, but I'm damned if I'll Strike!" JPJ

My Pacific Northwest Discovery Series:

On the slipways in the lumberyard

Union, 1792 - 1:48 scale - POF Scratch build

18th Century Longboat - circa 1790 as used in the PNW fur trade - FINISHED

Future Builds (Wish List)

Columbia Redidiva, 1787

HM Armed Tender Chatham, 1788

HMS Discovery, 1789 Captain Vancouver

Santiago, 1775 - Spanish Frigate of Explorer Bruno de Hezeta

Lady Washington, 1787 - Original Sloop Rig

4 hours ago, Dowmer said:

Nice work Mark, the boat is coming along.

I noticed it looks like the swivel stanchions in the bow angle out.  Is that intentional?  It though they were cut to sit upright so the swivel mount was level.  Anyway, that is the way they look on Johanns model and the blueprints.

They are angled out a bit.  I'm not sure what happened as during the test fits they were vertical.  I suspect that during the glue up I didn't get them fully seated.  One of the few things I'm not happy with.  I'm afraid to try to unglue them as what ever I use will probably basically destroy the boat by releasing the frame, planks, etc. in that area.  I may just have to redo the whole boat.  I'll think a bit and try some things before I engage is mass destruction.  If the glue bond isn't that hard, I might be able to just pop them off.  

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Mark, what kind of glue did you use?

Columbia Redidiva, 1787

I used white glue.   But not that much, less than drop in two places.    I managed to pop off those bits with no damage.   I have reworked them for a better fit and reglued them into place.   Looks better, but I'm not handling the boat until the glue dries completely.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

I did some re-work without breaking anything (yeah for me!).   The pieces are now back in place.

13-y.thumb.JPG.206f8e307d3622bcb3887141db2c2d46.JPG

13-z.thumb.JPG.0257c6af5b35cbd5690c7abe988159dc.JPG

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Ah,  much better.  Looks good Mark

Columbia Redidiva, 1787

Thanks Downer for pointing that out.  Seems I'm missing the obvious sometimes and once it's mentioned, it's face palm time and "Dooooh".

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds: