Sign in to follow this  
Alzarius

San Francisco 2 by Alzarius - Artesania Latina - (first build, noob)

Hello everyone

I have recently gotten back into this hobby, and this is my first build and I am running into problems. Ive heard this is the place to go, so here we go :)

First off, a start

I know there are rough edges, and I am using a Dremel to sand/cut them off at a later point

post-10622-0-57784300-1390886201_thumb.jpg

The problem I am running into, other than not knowing what I am doing, is the planking (big surprise)

Its getting to the point to where I believe I am going to have to start doing some cutting.

As you can see by the following picture, I am moving down and the planks are not lning up as well as they should

post-10622-0-75979400-1390886339_thumb.jpg

I tried cutting on the other side, to try to get it to be smoother, but its not quite working out as I planned.

post-10622-0-21964200-1390886373_thumb.jpg

post-10622-0-49667200-1390886389_thumb.jpg

I am basically "practicing" on this side, so that I can get the display side to look better.

Ignore the holes, I havent cut the windows out or cut/trimmed the edges yet

post-10622-0-95974200-1390886450_thumb.jpg

At this point, I am just looking for suggestions, or any errors/tricks/basic knowledge that I should know or that I am missing.

Also, as you can see by the last picture, there is a gap from where I had to bend the planks, and the straight planks. Would wood filler do anything to help this? I have not worked with it but its what I have been reading the most (Elmers wood filler, not sure how the stain would look against it)

Thanks, and Ill be updating and asking questions on a daily basis!!

Im feeling I should have gotten an easier ship to be my first one, but this one looked so fun.

Currently, the planks are not lining up well. To fix this, I have usually clamped them together with hemostats and let them sit for a day or so and they line up better.... but I simply cannot figure out how to attach the planks correctly to the front of the ship.

Ill wait for some replies then comment more :)

And overlook the sloppy glue... itll be sanded and stained so I figured it was safer to leave it and deal with it later.

Welcome aboard.

One thing I can see right off is that it does not appear the bulkheads were beveled, even in the bow end. That is really a must if you want the planking to lay flat against the edges of the bulkheads.

The planks should be tapered in width as they approach the bow. That should happen on all of them to some degree. That is part of the problem you are experiencing.

Russ

Welcome aboard.

One thing I can see right off is that it does not appear the bulkheads were beveled, even in the bow end. That is really a must if you want the planking to lay flat against the edges of the bulkheads.

The planks should be tapered in width as they approach the bow. That should happen on all of them to some degree. That is part of the problem you are experiencing.

Russ

While I was researching, I learned about beveling. Thats when I stopped immediately and came here. Im hoping to salvage it from here but if I need to remove the planks and start over, I will do so.

When beveling, do I lay the plank against the edges and bevel it to where it lays smoothly against it?

1. Do not plank one side before the other. If you do this you will likely warp the bow to that side. Both sides should be done near simultaneously (i.e one plank on starboard side, one plank on port side, one plank on starboard side, one plank on port side, etc)

2. You should've faired the hull before you started planking. Fairing is where you sand/file the bulkheads near the bow and stern so that a plank can easily curve around the bulkheads whilst remaining flat on them.

3. Go and read the planking guides on the planking section of the forum for clarification. 

4. That Artesania Latina kit is notorious for its stingy wood supply, so it might be worth considering to purchase more wood, remove the lower planks you have done, file/sand the hull fair and then recommence planking.

Oh and welcome to 'MSW.

Dremel is good for some things but imo a sanding block with a nice grade of sandpaper will produce better results for the bow.

Another thing to consider is to finish the planking and purchase a thin veneer and double plank it.

Remember you can always purchase more material, there is no need to cut corners and try to make what you have last for everything. 

Looks like the planks will come off tomorrow and Ill re read the planking tutorials.

Terminology was a problem the first time around, but looking over it, I think I realize what I need to do. (first step is slowing down)

Thanks for the input demonborger

I agree with Demonborger. Good advice.

I would suggest that, when fairing the hull, you check often with a length of plank to see how it lays against the bulkheads. Check at different points along the hull and at various heights. Go slow and check often. Fairing can be a time consuming and tedious process, but getting this right will make the planking a lot easier.

Russ

Hi Alzarius

you will also find a build log of your model in on of the forums that will be a great help

the best thing you have done is stopped and asked - heaps of people will have made the similar mistakes and then replanked its no biggie

when you take the planks off you will need to square the bulkheads and even strengthen them with some off cuts

Kerry

Alzarius, since you applied quite a few planks below the waterline, it would be easier to remove them and glue again :) 

Not everything would be smoothened while sanding, and bulkheads should be beveled. It's a must.

You can apply temporary planks from a thin wood (not mahogany) to make sure that hull is smooth. That's ultra important. I thought I smoothened the bulkheads, but no, I was not careful enough and got a crappy hull shape (see my build log). 

Good luck! It comes out nicely! Welcome to the club of SF2 builders :)

So after my first failed attempt, I took a lot of patience and time and did the job correctly. I even considered a second layer of plankign to try to make it "perfect".  The amount of help I received here was overwhelming (lots of PM's) You guys/girls are great.

However, company came this past weekend from out of town and to make a long story short, the ship is destroyed. I was going to post some pics to show the progress but theres no point now. Unfortuantely, money is very tight at home so this ends my hobby for a while.

Thank all of you for your great advice in the threads and I look forwards to coming back when times are not so tight.

Ohh!

Just keep in mind that there are some cheap but great kits (like MS longboat or pinnace, designed by Chuck, just $50), that can get you back into the hobby for a low price!