Caldercraft or Euromodel

Nenseth

Thanks Jean-Pierre. We are on the same wavelength about anchors but in the light of a thorough amount of commentary over the last 24 hours, what more can be said ?. In the end, it comes down to the degree of excellence shown by any one builder. Some are more excellent than others ! The more excellent the builder, like yourself, the more that person will question. I come back to the point that at least Euromodel in their drawings not only show the anchors but include actual dimensions. I think that that is the critical point. Appreciate seeing the evidence in those photos !

Pete

PS Maybe somebody can start up a new post because as Nigel said, the original topic for this thread has been well and truly covered ?

Pete, I can tell you that I downloaded all your PDF's onto my tablet and I read them in bed every night before I go to sleep. When my alarm went off this morning I found myself dreaming about how i'm going to paint that little horseman on the Friedrich Wilhelm ;)

Hi Keith,

I confirm - the little "picture" of Friedrich Wilhelm on his horse is something I also dream of since I saw a built model from an Italian Master-Builder in an exhibition near Milan. Hell - THATS was ARTWORK. Yes the FW is a model that will be build by me - some far away day when i retired. But this is for me personal the most adorable kit on the market. And for sure a all life challenge.

Cheerio

Max

:10_1_10:

btw: where do i find the pdf you was talking about?

Next: Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde by Euro Model 1:47

Finished: Half Moon Corel;  HMY Royal Caroline Panart; HMB Endeavour Occre 1:54; Fregatte Berlin, Corel, 1:40

A life without dogs is possible... but worth to live?

Guten tag, Herr Max. The PDF's prepared by PiratePete for the Friedrich Wilhelm can be found here: http://www.euromodel-ship.com/eng/friedrich-wilhelm-i-i.php#axzz2tUPv2o20

All the others are here. Click on the links on the left. http://www.euromodel-ship.com/eng/interpretive-info.php#axzz2tUPv2o20

Regards, Keith

gallery_1526_572_501.jpg 2007 (completed): HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina  gallery_1526_579_484.jpg 2013 (completed): Viking Ship Drakkar - Amati  post-1526-0-02110200-1403452426.jpg 2014 (completed): HMS Bounty Launch - Model Shipways

post-1526-0-63099100-1404175751.jpg Current: HMS Royal William - Euromodel

If you guys are interested, go to the Euromodel website homepage, look at the files under "Customer Assistance' or even better, once you have looked at that, download their free app 'FreeReady, and automatically receive any new updates which I post - they generally occur every two to three weeks covering many ships.

Pete

Fair comment Brian but almost a contradiction of sorts. Euromodel kits have always been seen as more than a standard kit build (I have always thought of them as 'quasi scratch' builds). It is for that very reason I began writing these files as I realized there was a gap out there for kit builders wanting to build a Euromodel ship. I thank you for describing my notes as 'excellent' although I often revisit them to re-write them ! In the light of these notes, then, I agree prospective builders need some experience (not really half a dozen builds as you suggest) but it is my hope that the notes will guide people through the necessary  steps. I have done/ are doing the necessary interpretations of the drawings and have recorded my results for all to see. That must make it easier.

Pete

Hi All

As discussion about Euromodels kits seems to be a 'hot potato' at the moment,I thought it would be a good idea for all discussion relating to these kits have a thread of it's own.Anyone looking for reference in the future may find it beneficial and easy to find.Here is the link http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/5678-euromodels-como-kit-discussion/#entry163185

Post away to your hearts content

Kind Regards Nigel

Currently working on Royal Caroline

Thanks Nigel.  You beat me to it.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 1 month later...

Interested in the Ajax. Is it nearly identical to the Renommee except for the carvings and enclosed poop? I read about the false history with Trafalgar and all that and have to wonder. It is an 8lb frigate from the mid-1700s correct? 

I purchased the Friedrich Wilhelm Zu Pferte about 20 years ago thinking it would be a easy model to build.  Wrong, after building the hull I have discontinued with it as I look back at my work critically and see many mistakes I made.

I wish I had Peters excellent build notes back then.  Its probably one of the very best kits in existence, but please make sure you are a very experienced builder before tackling her. Some of the construction is supplied as timber blocks with comprehensive plans for to to cut and shape parts. Its almost a part scratch build. 

I would recommend this kit to an experienced modeller with half a dozen builds under the belt. 

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the kit Brian.  I ended up getting a great deal on the FWZP on eBay a few months ago that I couldn't pass up.  But, I'm going to reserve working on that kit until I get a few more kits under my belt, as I really want to do the kit justice and get all I can out of the Euromodel kit experience.

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Hi Mike,

I agree with you and Brian completely. After my first build I am sure now, that this kind of modelling is the right hobby for me. I found out that the deal with the history of the ship, the history of naval affairs, the original ship building hundreds of years ago, the construction and the engeneering of the ships and as conclusion the model building itself is a very deep and satisfying way of passing the time. So my next step will be to increase the level of the model. The Half Moon by Corel is a great kit to start with this hobby - there are some difficulties you have to sail around and to find solutions, but all is possible without loosing the joy of building. But I know that there are quite more demanding kits :) So I will do the same as you say or Brian recommends: get expierence even in some kind of scratch work to improve the kits.  At last the Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde is my absolute dream of a model ship - for the challenge to build it, the history and at least the great look.

Best wishes

Cheerio

Max

:10_1_10:

Next: Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde by Euro Model 1:47

Finished: Half Moon Corel;  HMY Royal Caroline Panart; HMB Endeavour Occre 1:54; Fregatte Berlin, Corel, 1:40

A life without dogs is possible... but worth to live?