Small Stuff

A 66 55/95 tons US-Revenue drop-keel Cutter 1825 in 1/32, plans by H.I.Chapelle by Small Stuff

Dear friends,

living at Mathias and Anke friends of my wife's house he was interested into a shipmodel for his staircase's big window. Due to the size of the window I decided to change the scale  from 1/48 up to 1/32 - to give the ship a proper appereance in the window from outside the house - where the spectateres will be. Due to this fact I offered the possibility to "deliver" the ship faster by reducing the amount of detail. So this is more a threedimensional scetch for viewers kept on distance by the possibility of viewing the model only from outside the house from the yard looking up to the first floor's level 4 1/2 meter some 5 yards over the ground...

"What is impssible to be seen by the viewers should not be added into the model." is a ruel from the German professional shipmodelbuilder W. Zimmermann - so I could follow this idea and do not have a distance from usulally 30cm/ a foot in a museum between model and visitor but working with a distance of 7 to 9 yards between viewer and "Louisiana" so Chapelle thought the may be called. But he gave us no absolute security to this fact.

Here the main fixing topics of the model:

I.

The colouring sheme was a discussion between Mathias and me - and the result is a coppered underwater part (perhaps painted alu or cradboard) with light wooden drop keels clearly showing under the false keels. But real cupper cladding might be the best option due to the stability against sunlight.

II

Above the hull's black sides teak/mahaghony rail is added.

III.

The rigging is wished to be with canvas - due to the intestingly long squar rigged sail on the mainmast. The rigging will come out of my libary's books. The Reveneu Marine's flag is awaited mostly interested due to the confusion of the public.

IIII.

No pacifistic ideals keep me away from opening the gundports lids showing the ordonance aboard.

V.

The shipsstand is made from below for this some 600mm long model. I told him to turn the ship arround regulary to avaoid a "sun-burnt-out-side-on starboard" to the yards side especialy in the summer. So there will be pipelines  joining into eachother. So the model can simply be liftef ad turnd around to be pit onto the pipes again. Being an architeckt he could get somthing welded as a solid/massive stand I could never deliver.

VI.

A framed text behind glass with the ships datas will be added on the stand.

Here the pictures of the drawings of H. I. Chapelle:

http://modelshipworld.com/uploads/monthly_12_2013/post-8257-0-06586100-1387136439.jpg

http://modelshipworld.com/uploads/monthly_12_2013/post-8257-0-85704300-1387136451.jpg

http://modelshipworld.com/uploads/monthly_12_2013/post-8257-0-72640700-1387136458.jpg

I've made a picture of the !/48 scaled plan in the window (this'll follow soon) :

please look beloe

Greetings from Leipzig (Saxonia) to all of you,

Stan

post-8257-0-65066300-1391369425_thumb.jpg

Edited by Small Stuff

Due to the scale & required detailling, C'pt'n Bob, it's really a fun project!

Here the hull model's 1/24 and the rigged model's 1/32 enlaregements in copmparsion and a closer view to the larger plan of stern, middel and stem of the schooner.

The three 1/24 pictures are added as a scetch to a large - but cladestine to my wife - hullmodel... :ph34r:

Yours,

Stan

post-8257-0-93231200-1391454278_thumb.jpg

post-8257-0-42560500-1391454314_thumb.jpg

post-8257-0-46099700-1391454347_thumb.jpg

post-8257-0-57397000-1391454379_thumb.jpg

Edited by Small Stuff

Hello Stan!

The idea looks good to me, kind of surprissing thing... How many mm is the breadth of the hull?

There must be some stuff for the windows to avoid the UV to penetrate even on summer time... I would change the glass of them, just an idea for your friend.

I´ll follow you!

Daniel.

Hello Stan!

The idea looks good to me, kind of surprissing thing... How many mm is the breadth of the hull?

There must be some stuff for the windows to avoid the UV to penetrate even on summer time... I would change the glass of them, just an idea for your friend.

I´ll follow you!

Daniel.

Hy Daniel,

thanks for your intrest. The breadth of the hull (out of plans after Chapelle) will be exactly  at 1/32 will bring it up to:209,55 m/m of MOULDED breadth.

Thanks with the trick with the glas, as far as I cought it he thinks a bout a kind of UV-absorbing film or something like this.

Yours,

Stan

Edited by Small Stuff