Chapman Frigate by bucknbarney - RADIO - Plank on Frame

Before you get much farther along on this build you need to decide where and how to mount the radio gear and sail sheets.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Thanks for the solid advice Cap'n'Bob. I have had that same thing on my mind for a bit now. After reading up on some of JerryTodd's builds, such as the Pride of Baltimore, I am actually now considering going at the hull in a similar fashion to his. Being that I am, in the end, vying for a workable R/C model, this seems to be the best route.

Thought I should show the pic of the plans I'm using. After a LOT of research, I'm finding that these just don't offer a ton of detail to assist me in accomplishing this build. The plans came with some PDFs that someone else had created and offered of the keel and ribs, which I am using to help get me through the framing of the main part of the hull. The rest.... must have flown out the porthole, along with a bit of my sanity, because I can find nothing else on this particular ship, which I don't even know the name of!

I know I can have a little fun wit it, because this lack of info offers me the ability to explore a little artistic expression! still... just a little more info?.... lol

As you'll see, it's bad enough that this is my first build, add a great lack of detail and having it be in a language I don't understand is just fun. I'm finding it a pleasurable challenge and have located some ships that were similar, like the Unicorn, that I have thought about taking ideas from.

If there is anybody out there that knows what most of this plan says, or knows of similar frigates I can use for better reference, I am completely open to suggestions! 

post-10510-0-01262200-1392122825_thumb.png

Edited by bucknbarney

It's generic... <understatement off>  Revier is building a frigate the Chapman plans and basically it's fill in the details yourself.  Here's his log:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1030-jupiter-frigate-18-by-revier-scale-1-72-1768-plate-xxxi-and-xxxii-pob/

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Found some scrap soft maple at the shop and used the smaller planer to plane down some strips for planking material. Got them down to about 2mm thick. With that, I'm thinking about going 5-7mm for width of the planks. It took a couple hours to plane them all down, but I like the price... FREE.

On a side note: I purchased a metric ruler and decided to try it out. Now I have one question America..... WHY THE HECK AREN'T WE USING THIS?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

It is soooooooo much easier than standard!!!! OMG!!!

post-10510-0-69741100-1392607155_thumb.jpg

2mm????? Hmm... guess I ought to play with my planer as think it will do a better job than my thickness sander.   It's either that or sell both the planer and sander and buy a Byrnes sander... decisions, decisions.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Either way... new toys for Mark!!

My boss didn't even know how far down the planer could go. I had to clean out the planer perfectly to get it down that far, but it worked! It is actually closer to 2.5 mm. Still... I think it'll work great, and it was free, so I'm not complaining!

While reading Nenad's posts on his build, he wrote about jewelry tools and supplies. It reminded me that my wife, who's from Colombia, used to hand make jewelry using native Colombian seeds (beautiful stuff). So, I dug out her equipment and supplies and found all kinds of stuff I'll be able to use (after asking of course!) in my build! 

So many good things on this forum!

I also have to say how deeply impressed I am by all of you. I am used to working with rough, full sized building materials and you guys make things so much smaller look so much more beautiful and intricate than anything I have ever attempted. I am in awe of you all, and if I can make this build look even nearly as amazing as the models I have seen on this forum, I will be very happy!

Here's my latest pic of my SLOW progress. Being a full time dad, full time husband and full time employee, I don't have a lot of time for my hobbies! lol

Only 12 ribs to go!

I have not glued any of the ribs down as I am also researching where I'm going to be putting my controls. Per some good advice given on this great site, I'd like to be able to work on the keel without the ribs attached when placing things like the prop and the detachable ballast plate.

post-10510-0-94302000-1392649469_thumb.jpg

I think it is obvious from this last picture that your woodworking skills will be a huge benefit as you change the scale from carpentry to ships. With such beautiful work I think you should go for a true sailing ship. IE no motor. R/C sailing craft can be lots of fun. What is your overall length now?

Current Builds - 18th Century Longboat, MS Syren

Completed Builds - MS Bluenose, Panart BatteStation Cross section, Endevour J Boat Half Hull, Windego Half Hull, R/C T37 Breezing Along, R/C Victoria 32, SolCat 18

On the shelf - Panart San Felipe, Euromodel Ajax, C.Mamoli America, 

Its a sailor's Life for me! :10_1_10:

Keep nice precise and clean good work !!!

And start thinking about Her final place in home. She is loooooong and will be hiiiiigh  and niiiiiice

Edited by Nenad M

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

Thanks for the great compliments!

Floyd, I want to have the prop in so my boy can use it when he wants to take my place as captain.

Nenad, as far as placement in the home, I'm hoping (up to wife, of course!) to build a shelf for it to be placed right on the wall behind the dining room table! Wish me luck on that! 

Admiral has last word about that ;)

I start that duscusion in my home in september, even I have to work minimum 1-2 years until finish CS. Also full time * 3 as you said, and with 2-3 my hours every second day. Sometimes more, sometimes less

In progress:

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

Now that you point it out I can see the ruler. But It is too dark to see the length. I have rulers of many sizes all the way out to 24 inches. Sounds like just the right size.

Completed Builds - MS Bluenose, Panart BatteStation Cross section, Endevour J Boat Half Hull, Windego Half Hull, R/C T37 Breezing Along, R/C Victoria 32, SolCat 18

Nice build so far mate, but before you get too far check out the section behind the figure head the cut outs you have are in fact, what the head timbers would look like in a vertical cross section, check this against the master drawing.  I also want to build this and have the same drawings, probably got this from the same place as you did. Just my 2 cents worth.

Edited by rpeteru

I thought the same thing rpeteru, but I decided to keep them for now to use for reference and because for now, it I like how it looks. lol

I look forward to seeing your build! It'd be nice to have another person building from the same plans to hash things out with!

Did you get it in writing? You can innocently remind her when the time comes. :D

Hey guys, the Admiral said yes to where I'd like to place the model! Of course, I don't think she has any idea how big this frigate is actually going to end up being, but it's a start! lol

Be sure she WILL HAVE EXACT IDEA how big She will be, at the moment when it will be convenient to her ... if you tell her, you might run into problem ... if you do not tell her, you also might run into problem

Get this questions bright clear as soon as possible

Wish you luck with marital diplomacy  ...  spice of everyday life

Also, there will be presented so called -  "dust problem".

I am not sure that you will allow anybody to clean dust from your model. But, you will clean dust noticeably rarer than she think it is need to be done. Solution - glass home for model. But that makes whole thing much bigger ... and most expensive. My poor Heller "Stella" rest in peace 25 years ago when get ill from "dust cleaning syndrome" and "medical" treatment done by Admiral. I repaired her several times until main mast was broken to half, and all rigging go in mess

And no doubt, my CS will have box made of safety glass with blinking sign " DO NOT TOUCH", sensitive touch sensors, automatic anti-touch machine gun nests,  and mine field in whole room with electric fence 10.000 V over 1m around glass box  ;)

Just jokeing ...

or not

Edited by Nenad M

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

Well, seems all week my beautiful 4 year old boy has had my attentions away from the build. I am so blessed that every time I get home from a hard days work, my little guy runs to me with a big smile and warm hug and a question; "you wanna play with me?".

What can I say people!?!?...

I can't help that all I think about from my first waking moments until my last for the day is this model! I think I'm getting a little obsessed! Is this what you all call "the dark side"?... :huh:

Well, I can't disappoint my favorite 4 year old! I told him today that I'd like to work on my ship a little....

Here was his face after:

post-10510-0-00853800-1392939321_thumb.jpg