USS Constitution by capnharv2 - Model Shipways

Keith,

Thanks for stopping by. There are 4 boats that come with the kit. A 36' pinnace and 3 28' whaleboats. The pinnace sits on the grating between the fore and main mast, and the whaleboats are on the aft quarter davits and the transom davits. The pinnace (which is the only one I haven't started yet) is the one that needs to go on before the standing rigging, as it will be harder to mount with rigging in the way.

Or, I may display the pinnace alongside the hull, like she's loading or unloading cargo. I might also display one of the whaleboats being lowered from the quarter davits. Or I may display all 4 boats in their stored positions (on deck and in davits). I haven't decided yet. One of many fun ideas when the model gets this far along (similar to what you've done with your Swift).

I agree, the rigging really fills in the ship and displays the complexity of handling these large vessels. I've noticed a leap in complexity when the masts and standing rigging go on, and another leap in complexity when the spars and running rigging go on. It makes the entire build process and product very satisfying.

Harvey

I thought she typically had 4, which make this 5 builds in 1 :dancetl6: .

Your definitely right the fact that mounting the Pinnace would be easier pre-shouds. I can see where building the other 3 would give you a breather from rigging as the Conny has such complex rigging. Personally I'd need a break from rigging and the small boats would be a perfect appetizer.

So Harvey, are you going to build the mast as if she was real? step one portion at a time? How is the Rope Walk? Are you going to teach a seminar for the club on using the Rope Walk? I am glad to see you update your log. Even as she stands now I could spend hours just looking at the fine work.

Current Builds - 18th Century Longboat, MS Syren

Completed Builds - MS Bluenose, Panart BatteStation Cross section, Endevour J Boat Half Hull, Windego Half Hull, R/C T37 Breezing Along, R/C Victoria 32, SolCat 18

On the shelf - Panart San Felipe, Euromodel Ajax, C.Mamoli America, 

Its a sailor's Life for me! :10_1_10:

Floyd,

That's the plan. The bowsprit is done, but needs blocks, bullseyes, and provisions for the jib boom. I want to get the trestletrees on the lower masts (with the tops located correctly, but not installed), then I can put the lower masts in and start my stays and shrouds for them. Tonight I was correcting mast rake. The foremast is pretty good, the main and mizzen still need a little work.

I'm a little stymied with line. I can't find Coats and Clark 50 wt. I've been to Michaels and Jo-Ann fabrics, and they both say "if it's not there we don't carry it"-and it's not there. I have plenty of the 30 wt and have made some 3 strand and 9 strand with it, but I need to find the 50 wt for rigging some of the bullseyes.

Will I do a seminar on using the ropewalk? Sure, I can share what I know and what I've learned (and will learn). I don't have near the experience of some folks here, but I'm happy to share what I have learned.

But I first need to get the cannon made for Mike Graff's model. I now have the tools, but I have to wait a bit for my back to heal up after surgery (stitches come out next Thursday, and I should wait another week or 2 before I start up the Unimat).

Thanks though. Glad you're having a good time at the AC :D.

Harvey

• 1 month later...

Here's progress to date. . .

The bowsprit is done and painted. Bullseyes for the shrouds and stays are installed:

post-335-0-41467700-1382758231_thumb.jpg

The foremast and top are almost done. I need to add a one more crosstree and some chocks and bolsters, then paint it. The mizzen isn't too far behind. I had some problem with the mainmast, but they've been corrected, and I'm starting to add stuff to it.

post-335-0-30821600-1382758444_thumb.jpg

Fore and mainmast rakes are done, mizzen still needs to be fine tuned. . .

post-335-0-80462100-1382758482_thumb.jpg

Lastly, ships boats are all started. One whaleboat has some frames installed, another is in primer, and a third still needs shaping. The pinnace has been glued together but not shaped yet. . .

post-335-0-93351000-1382758684_thumb.jpg

post-335-0-43725800-1382758700_thumb.jpg

post-335-0-92105400-1382758710_thumb.jpg

I need to add some additional eyebolts and fittings to the hull before I can start stringing rope. I'm hoping to start that before Christmas.

As usual, comments and constructive criticism are appreciated.

Thanks,

Harvey

Wow! Harvey some really great progress. I hope you can bring her to the next meeting on the 16th.

Completed Builds - MS Bluenose, Panart BatteStation Cross section, Endevour J Boat Half Hull, Windego Half Hull, R/C T37 Breezing Along, R/C Victoria 32, SolCat 18

I hope to be able to show you significant progress by then as well. Maybe all the planking will be done!

• 2 months later...

I don't know where the last 3 months have gone, but I've made some progress. I've got the bowsprit installed and rigged.

post-335-0-27323500-1389761410_thumb.jpg

I wanted to start the standing rigging for the lower masts, but I needed to install the hammock cranes and nets first.

post-335-0-09428300-1389761493_thumb.jpg

post-335-0-77425500-1389761653_thumb.jpg

Photos courtesy of Mike Graff.

Now that the netting is in place, I'll start on the mast rigging.

Little by little, she's coming together.

Thanks,

Harvey

Lookin' real good there, Harv. Glad to see you are soldiering one.

Just ONE little question - why is there a solitary, unpainted cannon on deck (starboard, near bow) ??

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

Well Harvey at least by bringing her to a club meeting you gain the photos for this log, and the nudge to post. :)

Thanks everybody!

CapnSteve, I used the kit parts for the carronades, but I wanted to do something different for the cannon. So, I made the carriages out of boxwood and decided to leave them bright. Personal preference, that's all.

I started making the runner pendants last night and found the plans call for thimbles, which are not included in the kit. I thought about using bullseyes, but I don't have enough of the correct size. So, I guess I'll try experimenting with making thimbles. We'll see.

Thanks,

Harvey

Harvey your work looks great.
I like to make one comment about mounting the two boats (or one) on top of the grating.

It might be good to make the framework for storing the boats, but I would hold off actually placing them (or it) in place. The reason is that you will have plenty of lines, fingers and tools get in the way while rigging. You don't want to damage the boats.

Believe me, there will be plenty of room to place them on the grating afterwards. After all, that is the same amount of space needed when they had to launch the boats.

Jay

Current build Cross Section USS Constitution  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10120-cross-section-forward-area-of-the-uss-constitution/

Finished USS Constitution:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/103-uss-constitution-by-modeler12/

'A picture is worth a  . . . . .'      More is better . . . .

• 1 month later...

Here we go again with another infrequent and random update . . .

The shrouds on the lower foremast are on, but not tightened. I want to wait at least until I get some of the stays on before I fix them for good:

post-335-0-63456600-1393310060_thumb.jpg

post-335-0-68862800-1393310089_thumb.jpg

post-335-0-06065700-1393310103_thumb.jpg

Photos courtesy of Mike Graff.

Tonight I made up the mainmast lower shrouds. I like the way they lay at the masthead-enough that I'm considering re-doing the foremast.

I decided to leave the boarding pikes off the masts, at least for now. I feel that they will be another thing for lines to snag on when rigging at the base of the mast. I may add them later-we'll see.

Contrary to popular belief, I'm enjoying working on the standing rigging. It hasn't been too hard yet, and I'm trying to think things thru before I do something stupid.

Thanks for looking in.

Harvey

Thanks Dave. Once I figured out how to use the ropewalk and how to get the size line I needed, it was fun and easy. I was pleased that I even made the correct diameter 3 strand for the deadeye lanyards.

I've also borrowed Floyd's serving machine, so I can serve the standing rigging that needs it.

I was going to tie off mainmast deadeyes tonight, but I think I'll wait till tomorrow. I've got some other (non-boat) things to do tonight.

Hope to see you and next month's meeting!

Harvey

I'm confused, Harv'.

I expected to see pics from your build, but it appears as tho' you've posted photos of the actual Constitution instead.

Arr ...

:cheers:

Long live the FCC

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

Thanks CaptainSteve. I blame the photographer (Mike Graff is an excellent photographer)

Sometimes, the stars just line up right and I can get a little work done. My wife went to bed early tonight, and the cats didn't come down to help, so I was able to start putting the mainmast shrouds on:

post-335-0-96118100-1393570814_thumb.jpg

post-335-0-16719600-1393570846_thumb.jpg

And I realized that when I posted the photos from the other day, I didn't include an overall view of the foremast shrouds:

post-335-0-59432900-1393570911_thumb.jpg

With a little luck (and a quiet house) I should be able to start trimming the mainmast shrouds.

Thanks,

Harvey

Wow Harvey did you actually post some of your own Pictures? :P:o

• 9 months later...

Well, I see it's been 9 months since I've posted any progress. So I'll try to give an update here.

The standing rigging on the lower masts and bowsprit are essentially done

post-335-0-21895900-1417232241_thumb.jpg

I've tensioned all the lanyards on the fore and mizzen, and am working on the main (6 down, 12 to go)

post-335-0-81436800-1417232265_thumb.jpg

I finished the mizzen last night. It looks good, although the Burton Pendants look awfully big compared to the shrouds, but that's what the rigging schedule calls for

post-335-0-34775000-1417232360_thumb.jpg

I was particularly happy with the mizzen stay and preventer stay.

post-335-0-11584100-1417232373_thumb.jpg

The picture isn't the best, but the foremast is done

post-335-0-47893200-1417232390_thumb.jpg

And I was pretty pleased with fore and fore preventer stays.

post-335-0-34011400-1417232406_thumb.jpg

After I finish the main shroud lanyards, I'll work on the sheer poles, the probably start in on the tops. They're built, but need to be installed and rigged. That will be interesting. . .

I'll try to show progress more often, but I've got 2 other builds going (that I also need to start build logs for).

Comments and constructive criticism are always welcome.

Thanks,

Harvey

You've busy, Harvey.   The Connie is looking good.   And you have two more builds going on?  I don't know how you guys do more than one. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Mark,

At least two others. And that doesn't count the Flying Cloud I haven't touched in months.

Oh, and then there's the 1:1 boat-spars are coming out in the next week or two, and the boat is coming out of the water soon after that. Nothing major, just time (and money) consuming.

Oh well, it keeps me off the streets at night :cheers:

Thanks,

Harvey

Nice to see an update Harvey, the rigging work looks great.

Is the 1;1 coming out for routine maintenance? I didn't think that the water froze down your way :)

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.