Household blackening fluids.

I'd like to blacken my copper harpoons and copper fittings furnished with my Model Shipways whaleboat kit.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/5000-new-bedford-whaleboat-a-kit-by-model-shipways/

Are there any common kitchen or household liquids or powders etc.that can do that ?

Thanks S.os

New Bedford Whaleboat build. Kit by Model Shipways

I've been making progress on my model and according to the instruction booklet I should be painting it, at least parts of it.

Are acrylic's ok ? I did apply a sanding sealer. but I want to stain the untreated floor boards which are walnut.

Thanks

S.O.S.

In the old dry dock forms someone had used liquid plumber to blacken brass however I never saved the directions, went back sometime ago and the web site was gone. Mentioned this in another thread here but no body commented on it. If anyone has used this method would appreciate their info.

If it really is copper you are wanting to blacken, then use Liver of Sulfur (LOS). Not exactly a household product but easily obtainable online.

http://www.polymerclay.com.au/xlgel1liverofsulphurextendedlifegel1oz-p-13276.html

LOS has the advantage of being able to be used 'in situ' on the model without affecting the surrounding wood - just wash off the timber. EdT uses this almost exclusively on his Naiad model.