66 55/95 tons US Revenue drop-keel Cutter by Small Stuff - 1/24 - plans by H.I.Chapelle

As I'm fed up :angry:

with the unability of my TurboCAD14 to open Daniel's drawings :huh:

I decided to buy the newest XX. edition!!! ^_^

So I did...   B)

My carpetmonster adapted to laminate flooring!

GK - Modellbau No. 2002 a little boat 680 after E.Paris  - PoF 1/50

AL 18021 Scottish Maid the 1st Aberdeen Clipper 1839 - PoB 1/76 (?) 

Dream: a hullmodel of the 66 55/95 tons US-Revenue drop-keel Cutter 1/2"=1ft, plans by H.I.Chapelle

• 2 weeks later...

Still getting used to the TurboCAD20 2D Editin... so:

post-8257-0-79139300-1393577067_thumb.png

Dream: a hullmodel of the 66 55/95 tons US-Revenue drop-keel Cutter 1/2"=1ft, plans by H.I.Chapelle

DigiCam2USB-wire was found some seconds ago!!! So after the weekend&party here,

And there 'll be some new pictures..

The cat played with it :o:huh::(

untill it was gone unter the cupboard :angry:

and left there for the vacuumcleaner's snorkel ^_^

post-8257-0-65890400-1393577245.png

Edited by Small Stuff

• 1 year later...

Hello friends

after a row of senseless eye operations I'm back in here... working on the Chapelle-plans. 

That's all in here.

Yours

Stan

Edit here the drawingboard:post-8257-0-33189000-1431437444_thumb.jpg

Edited by Small Stuff

• 5 years later...

As good as Howard I. Chapelle was, he made errors in interpretation of drawings and other factors.

In this discussion of US Revenue Cutter Louisiana (II) of 1819, his assumptions were misplaced.
She, like her twin, Alabama, were built by Christian Bergh in New York City.  Both of the same pilot boat schooner rig.  52 feet in keel and 56 tons.  There is no evidence that Bergh used Doughty's plans.  However, every shipbuilder of the period stole the good ideas and designs of the others.   Bergh's price was $4,500 each.

There was no pivot gun.  The ever fiscally cheap U. S. Treasury Department found the expense to high and removed them the contract.  In their place were two small 3-pounders.  Later from New Orleans, Louisiana's captain the villainous Jarius Loomis, asked for four 6-pounders.  He did not get them.  Other models and comments about both indicate there was no bulwark.  There was,  a short one, but one still there.

Louisiana (I) was built in 1804 and by 1812 lay abandoned and in extreme disrepair at New Orleans. The hurricane of 1812 sunk her and from there sold to the State of Louisiana, raised, refitted in time for the famous Battle of New Orleans.

Christian Bergh also built Alert (I) in 1818.  This Alert was a bit larger and had eight gun ports.

Although not a model builder, I have been researching the USRCS since about 1892.  If anyone is looking for details, I may be able to help.  I don't have all but in my research I have located over a dozen cutters the Coast Guard was unaware.   It is all about record keeping.

As for my comment about Loomis.  In 1819, he in Louisiana with Alabama, re-seized a Spanish merchant vessel that had been captured by a LaFitte vessel, Le Brave.  In the process of transferring the goods, Loomis stole a small chest with doubloons, jewels, and other coins all worth in 1819 dollars about $3000. About $65,742.05 in2020 dollars.  To keep his officers quiet, he gave them part of the loot.  However, one officer when questioned about the missing items, confessed and gave up his share - or the share he said he got.  Louisana (II0 has the distinction of being the only U. S. revenue cutter in U. S. History to have executed by hanging two pirates on board.

The whole story is here https://www.academia.edu/25596743/Hanging_Le_Brave