Inboard Bulwark Color

Greetings,

Typically, I have used bulwark red on my naval ship models, American and British. However, for the project I now have underway (Fair American) I am thinking of using flat dark green or buff. The USS Constitution has green bulwarks. Are there other period correct colors that could be used? I have nothing against the red, and it is absolutely correct, but I doubt red was the only color used.

Thanks for any input you all may have on this subject.

wq3296

There is some recent research (I need to find the sources - believe it was in The Mariners Mirror) that red was not necessarily as universally used as once thought (relates to cost of the pigment and other factors).  For the Fair American, being a privateer, you could go with the buff or green and be as historically accurate as any other choice.

Wayne

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.
Epictetus

Eggcellent,

Thanks Wayne. Your response makes perfect sense. I believe I will use the buff, with red cannon carriages.

I see you are from Maine. I am here in coastal RI. Snow has turned to rain. I guess it is headed your way. Good day to work from home.

Thanks for your timely and erudite response.

wq3296