Harriet McGregor by Boccherini

Nice looking metalwork.  It's that sort of thing that makes a model really stand out.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Impressive work. I would agree that you should no install them yet. It would be easy to snag them.

David B

Thanks for the comments gents. John, David, I appreciate the reminder of the snagging potential.

I was looking around for some brass rod to start making the double bollard sets, and found an almost endless supply of brass rod right under my nose.......spindles from tap top assemblies. I have a scrap bin from work loaded with these. They have a diameter of approximately 10mm (3/8"). Depending on the required diameter, they can produce up to 90mm (3.5") of usable brass. These have been rough turned down to 6mm prior to final shaping.

post-666-0-02955100-1399120998_thumb.jpgpost-666-0-44535200-1399121003_thumb.jpg

Grant.

Edited by Boccherini

• 2 weeks later...

Bollards. Some of the details/proportions for these are approximate/educated guesswork. The base plates are 14mm x  6mm x 0.6mm (approx 1/2'' x 1/4" x 0.024"); the bitts, 7mm x 3.5mm dia.. I have included a brief description of the process, this may be useful to those considering trying their hand at soldering.

I found the best results for soldering were obtained by putting some solder paste on the base of the bitts and pushing them down onto the base. The excess squeezed out around the bottom helped to form a fillet when the joint was completed. Same technique was used for the bar between the bitts, with the addition of some paste placed on at the ends.  If the assembly has been heated correctly, solder should flow out around the pins on the underside of the base (pic 5). The assembly needs to be heated with care due to the difference in the mass of the parts, too much heat on the copper could cause it to sag or melt before the brass parts are hot enough for the solder to run. Another complicating factor in heating is the difference in melt temperatures, brass is lower than copper.

post-666-0-18765600-1399957821_thumb.jpgpost-666-0-31780400-1399957832_thumb.jpgpost-666-0-75688300-1399957842_thumb.jpgpost-666-0-02834200-1399957849_thumb.jpgpost-666-0-75848600-1399957878_thumb.jpgpost-666-0-13900900-1399957890_thumb.jpgpost-666-0-04758500-1399957895_thumb.jpg

Grant.

Edited by Boccherini

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

E&T, thanks for the comment.

I decided to solder the "bolts" to the bollard base plates, this process taught me something new about solder paste. When doing multiple joints on one piece, you need to heat the whole piece and do them simultaneously, or only put paste on the parts you are heating. I made the mistake of putting paste on all the bolt heads, then trying to do one end and then the other.....disaster. By the time I started heating the other end, the solder paste had dried out and would not make the joint. Had to pull the bolts out, clean off the crud and re-do them several times before realizing the cause and solution. This process messed the whole bollard assemblies up a little, they don't look as good as they might've. Probably would've been better to just push the bolts in after epoxying the bollards to the deck. Frustrating but instructive time.

After pickling and then scrubbing in acetone:

post-666-0-68041900-1402389710_thumb.jpg

In place after chemical blacking.

post-666-0-06979200-1402389722_thumb.jpg 

Next project is the capstan base plate. The copper ring is from a piece of 1/2'' copper pipe. The inside was turned to the correct diameter with a boring bar, then the outside turned down to the correct thickness. Lugs were milled into the bottom of the ring, then the ring was half cut from the pipe at the correct height, the final separating cut had to be done with a jewellers saw. It proved impossible to separate the ring from the pipe with the lathe cut off tool, it collapsed due to the lack of thickness. This piece took 3 attempts to get it right, more instructive frustration. The base plate is 16mm (0.64") diameter. The pieces were then soldered together.

Another lesson re learned (I am still a novice lathe/mill user), if you are removing and replacing a work piece in the lathe chuck, always make sure it goes back in the same place in the chuck. I now have a mark on one of the chuck jaws (to differentiate it from the others), I file a small mark in the work piece where it meets the end of this jaw.

post-666-0-69266200-1402392267_thumb.jpgpost-666-0-30349500-1402392291_thumb.jpgpost-666-0-12163500-1402392310_thumb.jpgpost-666-0-88278800-1402392320_thumb.jpgpost-666-0-91934300-1402392331_thumb.jpg

Novice or not you did a fine job.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Beautiful metalwork, Grant.   And thanks for the step by step.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hello Grant, I just have to say that you have done a beautiful job on this build . Excellent workmanship, well done

Best Regards,

Pete

"may your sails be full of wind and the sun on your back"

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

N.G Herreshoff 12 1/2 Scratch Build 3/4" = 1' - 0" Scale

Completed Builds :

Volvo 65 Farr Yacht Design

Herreshoff Alerion

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

Beautiful work Grant,  The deck is incredible

Best Regards,

Pete

"may your sails be full of wind and the sun on your back"

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

N.G Herreshoff 12 1/2 Scratch Build 3/4" = 1' - 0" Scale

Completed Builds :

Volvo 65 Farr Yacht Design

Herreshoff Alerion

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

Thanks for all your encouraging comments.

John, the scale height including the base equals 1.2m (4') actual height. I have started v2.0, which is equivalent to 1.1m (3'8") and has a different shape, more in keeping with the picture you posted several weeks ago in another thread.

Bob, I have no idea, my plans are vague/contradictory. It's down to "does it look right?"

Grant. 

Edited by Boccherini

just catching up , Grant your metal work on the bollards looks great and the rest of the metal work is very clean and well executed. The locating pins on the bottom of the copper ring, is something I would not have thought of, because I would have machined it out of solid. That is what I enjoy so much about this site, all the innovative and creative ways to accomplish the same task. Those joggled planks really do look amazing.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

rpeteru, Tom & Michael, thanks for your taking the time to leave a comment.

Michael, the idea of the locating pins is something I picked up from reading Underhill's books. I envy your machining skills to do that out of a solid metal piece, my abilities in that area are not up to that kind of work as yet.

I decided to experiment on this capstan with soldering the whelps on, being only 1mm x 0.5mm, I had some concerns of them melting before the solder ran. Everything worked out nearly perfectly first time. Nice to know this happens occasionally. First picture after "pickling", then after blackening.

post-666-0-64213800-1402910292_thumb.jpgpost-666-0-90385400-1402910297_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks David and John. Capstan V2.0 was worth the extra work, it's much better looking than the original. The whelps were made from some 1mm wire filed down to half its thickness, cut to length and drilled to take locating pins. Contact cement was used to hold the whelps to the capstan whilst drilling. The loop of wire used to make the pins made it easier to solder and gave me something to grip while finishing the shape of the whelps. I ended up having to use a full size oxy/acetylene torch to heat it up (my little butane torch was way "under powered"), I think it was slightly overcooked as the solder left some rough patches around the whelps. They have been mostly scraped/rubbed out, but are still slightly visible.

post-666-0-50806100-1404980290_thumb.jpgpost-666-0-53350700-1404980628_thumb.jpgpost-666-0-50606400-1404980632_thumb.jpgpost-666-0-09313000-1404980638_thumb.jpgpost-666-0-79930300-1404980654_thumb.jpgpost-666-0-99648900-1404980668_thumb.jpgpost-666-0-91934200-1404980674_thumb.jpg

Grant.