HMS Bellerophon 1786 by AON – scale 1:64 – 74 gun 3rd Rate Man of War, Arrogant Class

I once accidentally mirrored something on a line of axis that was just slightly not straight. Took me forever to figure out what went wrong. Does the PDF measure exactly symmetrical?

Mark

Good morning Mark.

Yes that might have been a possibility except the timber body outline is from slicing the 3D model and then the centerline was sketched in, followed by the chocks and scarph joints on one side, then mirrored.  So if my centerline was off the mirrored items would not have fallen inside the frame outline but rather crossing to be outside of it, and I hope I would have spotted that.

What is as bad as having traced this onto a piece of wood and cutting it out and not noticing, I keep a log of my builds and bind them into a book for myself.  I snipped an image of frames off my drawing and copied it into my log quite some time ago.  It just so happens it was this frame and it's mate.  I didn't notice it then either!

I must have sketched it once wrong, made the correction on the other side and then didn't delete the original and mirror the proper.  It is the only thing that makes sense.

I worked for someone whose favourite saying was "it is what it is".  I argued "it is what you make it, and if you choose not to change the outcome, then you choose what it is".... I choose this to be correct.

Edited by AON
English must be my second language

Alan O'Neill
"only dead fish go with the flow"   :dancetl6:

Ongoing Build (31 Dec 2013) - HMS BELLEROPHON (1786), POF scratch build, scale 1:64, 74 gun 3rd rate Man of War, Arrogant Class

Member of the Model Shipwrights of Niagara, Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada (2016), and the Nautical Research Guild (since 2014)

Associate member of the Nautical Research and Model Ship Society (2021)

Offshore member of The Society of Model Shipwrights (2021)

• 1 month later...

I had a couple good weeks of framing, followed by yet another needle in the left eye and a few days recovery.

Then I decided to work on something different for a change of scenery.  Always nice to do that occasionally, finish something completely for a change as you can only fool yourself for so long that having completed yet one more frame is a major achievement  8*)

My Mississippi Plank River Raft (1830-1840) based on the description by Mark Twain in The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn.

The raft hovers above with the riverbed below (on top of the book).  Crayfish and shrimp traps on the riverbed with wooden buoys floating above on either side of the raft at the imaginary water level.

Photo below.   

Just needs a display case and name plate.

I was back onto frames yesterday.

Figure 1.jpg

Alan O'Neill

Ongoing Build (31 Dec 2013) - HMS BELLEROPHON (1786), POF scratch build, scale 1:64, 74 gun 3rd rate Man of War, Arrogant Class

Member of the Model Shipwrights of Niagara, Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada (2016), and the Nautical Research Guild (since 2014)

Alan, it looks like you went back to rule number 1: enjoy modelling.

Glad to hear about the eye.

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

• 2 months later...

Well, I just today finished my one hole 16'-9" Aleutian hunting Baidarkas (Kayak) frame build.

Photo posted below for your amusement.

I will be writing this one up and submitting it for publication in the Nautical Research Journal.

My River Raft (above) was published in the issue that came out today.

Then I'll be back full time on my Billy Ruffian.

My Kayak build.jpg

Alan O'Neill

Good afternoon Druxey!

An article by Eric Schrade in the 2010 May/June issue of Ships in Scale, augmented with articles by David Zimmerly in the February/March and April/May 1983 issues of the Small Boat Journal.

I am presently 3D printing my mounting device for the Kayak.

Alan O'Neill

I've thought about it.  Even researched Youtube videos to see how to cover it in fibreglass.  Then I pictured myself rolling over and the words "I've fall'n and I can't get up" came to mind.  But you go for it!

Alan O'Neill

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you for the kind words regarding my two side builds: the plank river raft and the Aleut hunting kayak.  The raft was published in the last NRJ (Nautical Research Journal) and the kayak will hopefully be published in the fall issue.

Well, it has been a long time but... nope, I haven't finished the darned frames.  Yesterday I did complete the making and installing of the forward straight frames from the cant frames back to midships (C) FWD, approaching the dead flat.  As those either side of the dead flat are a similar but thicker frame I will do them last to fill in the gap. Tomorrow I begin installing the aft half and hope to have them done by... sometime.

So y'all can go back to sleep now. :rolleyes:

Alan O'Neill

• 2 months later...

Extremely short frames progress report:

I am presently working on square frames 13Aft to 11Aft having made up a batch of new blanks.

As the nice weather is upon us I will find myself drawn outside to soak up some vitamin D from the glorious sun.  I will be making another attempt at my figure head while out there.  Third time is the charm???

Always eager to attempt something new, I spent a considerable amount of time studying the construction of "made masts".  My ship would have had them for all the lower masts.  The problem with these are that all the pieces that make up a "made mast" are hidden from view so the question that begs to be answered is "why bother?".  My answer seems to be "for the challenge of it".  I'll try one to start.  My bowsprit is already done so it was spared the trial.

287134381_Steels1794mainmastsection.png.2dbfd8e23e5be06e5483ab1b13cb47ce.png

I've drawn up a simplified version of the Main Mast and will attempt it first.

I've ripped and planed two blank pieces for the side trees and one for the spindle (and one spare).

I've completed the notching of the side trees to accept the spindle by double side taping the two pieces together with the centre of each facing upwards.  I rubber cemented my cutout pattern to the outsides of each and double side taped two hacksaw blades to the pattern with the non-tooth edge lined up to the edge of the cutout on the pattern to act as a stop guide when removing the waste.  I removed the waste from the spindle notch with a wood rasp and files.

1285700807_Mademast-main-2Ddwg.png.4e6977bbf2d233807f20328e83a34e5c.png

285140490_1-removewasteforspindle.thumb.jpg.a4a2ccb672df7939296a5bbe5511293c.jpg

Presently the spindle blank ready to be shaped.  I rubber cemented my template to one side and will use my 90° setup block as a backer to hold it dead parallel to the bench disk sander on the rest plate.  This will take some patience to assure the fit is proper... even though no one will see 80% of it as it will be inside the mast!  The lower portion will be hidden by the front and rear fish pieces.

465278487_2-sidetreesandspindleblanks.thumb.jpg.c7b37e99fd21f8707b1350ab841da793.jpg

Wish me luck.

Edited by AON

Alan O'Neill

I think the expression "mad dogs and Englishmen" needs to be amended to "mad dogs and model ship builders".  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Sanded the spindle to shape.

2047931398_1-sandingspindle.jpg.65fa8407b0523410d63a529065f4d800.jpg

Glued up the three pieces (side trees and spindle) and left them clamped overnight.

655067483_1-gluedup.jpg.1738c5c1e8182d4e25206cdbd6ea91a5.jpg

Trimmed the excess off the sides of the tree blanks and put these pieces aside to be used for the aft fish and cheeks.

362143731_2-trimmed.jpg.6dd335572f3695d072e825f405eb14b6.jpg

Now being square I can shave off the four corners a bit and it will be ready to turn down to size.... maybe tomorrow or Wednesday.

I've prepared another sheet with location and diameter info that will be transferred to a batten which can be held against the part on the lathe to help relocate these critical spots once the pencil marks have be cut away.

I will leave the square ends untouched to help me relocate the four sides to create the flats for the fore and aft fish and side cheeks.

Hopefully I've thought this through adequately.

Alan O'Neill

Made my transfer batten from a piece of plaster wall lath (hemlock strip).

Marked off each quarter location and step where the diameter dimensions were indicated.

I was concerned my three pieced glued mast might pull apart on the lathe during turning so I marked off where the hoops and woolding bands are located and drilled #31 hole on centre at each location through the port/starboard sides and pinned through each hole with a 1/8" dowel.  I lightly crimp notched the surface of the dowel with the grooves on my pliers, applied wood glue, then tapped it through the hole and cut it flush.

Belts and braces. This might not have been necessary but I'd rather not find out.

Once the woolding ropes are wound on the lower pins will be hidden.

The upper pins will be under the cheeks so they won't be visible either.

Now we let that dry and cure.

Turning hopefully tomorrow.

Edited by AON

Alan O'Neill

Interesting preventative method, Alan! Well thought out. I'd eight-square and round off manually rather than put it in the lathe, but to each his own.

Edited by druxey

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Three piece main mast turned.

Marking off the extents of the flats for the cheeks and fish.

1 - turned 3pc main mast.jpg

Alan O'Neill

Using a steady is the only way I know of to keep it straight.

I have the seats (flats) cut in for the fish and cheeks.

Started working on the front cheek.

Alan O'Neill

• 2 weeks later...

Some update pics.

I've yet to add the Woolding Hoops and the eight Battens above the stops.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

Alan O'Neill

The bibbs do no angle anywhere as much as you show, Alan. As they are now, they will stick out either side of your trestle trees. I made that mistake on my first lower mast as well!

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Thank you Druxey.

We learn by our mistakes.

Easily remedied...but I will have a Trestle Tree made to guide me when I correct this.

Alan O'Neill

• 2 weeks later...

Been busy putting things on, taking them off, putting them back on... normal stuff.

Removed the bibs, added the wooden hoops for the woodling ropes, added the metal hoops above the stops, made the cross/trestle tree assembly, put the bibs back on. I sanded the wooden hoops so they are presentable.

Made my bolsters but have not added them to the tree assembly as yet.  Need to add other metal hoops, battens, and build the tree platform.

1 - main mast cross + trestle tree.jpg

1 - main mast.jpg

3 - refitting bibs.jpg

Alan O'Neill

Um, if you are woolding, it is far easier to apply the rope before adding the hoops. You'll see why when you come to completing the rope turns. I assume you'll add the tapers to cross and trestle trees? The new bibbs angle (or lack of it) looks much better!

I understand what you are saying about the hoops.  It was an effort to try to keep them straight and level and evenly spaced... I am not saying I was successful.  I thought if it should look like kaka I paint the space between the hoops (under the rope) as camouflage.  Worst case... off it comes.

I guess I should wrap some twine between a couple and see the "damage" before I get further ahead of myself!

Tapers... yes.

Angle... very slight.

Thank you.

Alan O'Neill

Took the TREES apart to shape them then reassembled.

2077139882_1-treesshaped.jpg.3bd79578589063c13a8c05eb03b0bf9d.jpg

Removed the BIBS, remade and refitted them.  TREES installed and battens installed.

2119023852_2-bibstreesbattensfitted.jpg.623d96bc679ad643f3f3fdee5a141e40.jpg

Made the TOP (platform) that sits on the trees.  Three layers of 1/32" glued cross grain.  Planks laid out and scored with a knife, highlighted the joint with a pencil, then sanded.  Underside scored to show the different overlap.  More work to be done to the TOP before it is fitted permanently.

842696988_3-topsstartedanddryfitted.jpg.d10529f66ebced9e57959756b2c3cb1e.jpg

Edited by AON

Alan O'Neill

Got a little bit more done to the platform.

I've a couple more pieces and some holes to add before this small part can be called done.

(it is only dry fitted to the trees to see how she looks in place)

1 - timbers.jpg

2 - timbers.jpg

Alan O'Neill