Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack by timo4352 - FINISHED - Midwest Products - SMALL - First time builder

Thank you, I'm really enjoying the build.

I working on the spars now and wanted to share something I've learned. Those that have already built this boat have been there before, but there is something a first timer like me should look out for -- The plans call for drilling 1/16" holes through the boom, and at the aft end you can see that is nearly impossible as you would have but a hair's width of wood left on either side of the hole. I've attached a couple pics to show what I mean.

This build is teaching me that there is lots of patience and some critical thinking is involved before you just do something - like follow the directions in this instance - You really have to think ahead. 

I think Midwest ought to change the plans to reflect this especially as this is marketed as a beginner kit. I'm pretty sure that won't happen just because I think it should, but other newbies like me should look out for it.

13016493934_8e837e64ff_c.jpg

13016503114_7ecfcd94c1_c.jpg

On another note - this boat carried a lot of sail! :o 

Must have been a pretty powerful vessel. Good thing there is a couple reefs on that sail. 

Tim

Tim

"That's a fine looking pair of oars you got there, Sir"

" 'em aint 'ores --- that's me wife and me daughter! "
  :o

Current build:   Glad Tidings Pinky Schooner

Past builds:  1:1  Stick-Up Sharpie Build

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack by Timo4352 - Midwest Products - SMALL - First time builder

Gunning Dory sail & oar boat 1:1
Future Build:   Scratch built Mower Dory  -  scale undetermined yet             

another future build:   Martha - Chesapeake draketail    

Oh, I did use a smaller drill for that.

But, I wish I would have measured the cotter pins with my calipers first, before I drilled the other 1/16" holes too - they are a bit oversize - but I think I can make the difference up with some thicker glue - I'll epoxy them if I have to.

I'm glad to be learning some of these things on this cheaper model first before I start on the Pinky.

Tim

PS - speaking of the Pinky - Model Expo has it on a special sale for 70 bucks now. I've got a sale code for it in my email. Anybody want to build one with me?  B)

Tim

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack by Timo4352 - Midwest Products - SMALL - First time builder

Tim, I have that Pinky kit on the shelf right now. I think it may be next after the Bounty Launch. These Model Shipways kits with the laser cut parts and great instructions sure do make it nice for us beginners. Of course having the fine folks on this forum helps a lot too. 

The heart is happiest when the head and the hands work together.

Al

Current Builds:

HMS Halifax 1/48 POF Lumberyard Kit

Model Shipways Glad Tidings

Acoustic Guitar Build FINISHED

I have made a little progress on my model. Adding some details like cleats and stuff. Not done yet but getting closer. I am very much so enjoying the process.  :)

13171021344_15ce93061a_c.jpg

13170775695_f982dea990_c.jpg

13171046984_216368b89c_c.jpg

13171009484_c95ed69578_c.jpg

Tim

On another note - this boat carried a lot of sail! :o

Must have been a pretty powerful vessel. Good thing there is a couple reefs on that sail. 

Tim

I've read that the sail area was so that they could get away from the dock and underway with almost no breeze, as these were made and used before auxiliaries. Apparently, they were almost always reefed during normal "working hours".

Your model is looking terrific.  I really love the paint and finishing.

Well , here I am -- at the verge of trying to decide if I should put sails on it or not...   everything else is pretty much done... 

I'm thinking it might be fun to do a little poll -- what do you all think -- sails or not?

I'm not promising anything either way, but I'm interested in your feedback.  :)

13200306275_7013d46527_b.jpg

Tim

Put on the sails but leave them furled. This will show off the hull and at the same time show the detail for rigging.

David B

Shoot.... another "oops" just occurred to me...   :(

My model is displayed with the centerboard down, meaning the lift bar for the board should also be down - not up like shows in this photo. Something else I should have figured out on my own instead of blindly following the instructions.   

It bothers me enough that I'll probably try to remove it and redo it the way I think it should be.

What have you other builders done on yours?

13202994294_3cb10f367d_c.jpg

Tim

I agree with David. Furled sails would look great. You are doing a fantastic job. I would also fix the keel lift bar. At least you will know it's right.

The heart is happiest when the head and the hands work together.

Al

Current Builds:

HMS Halifax 1/48 POF Lumberyard Kit

Model Shipways Glad Tidings

Acoustic Guitar Build FINISHED

Another vote for furled sails. Also IMHO, consider the weathered look like a working vessel would have. A yacht should look like a yacht and a working boat  should show a little wear and tear.

PS That is an art form in itself especially when successfully accomplished.

At least a lobster pot or two would give an added interest. ;)

S.os

New Bedford Whaleboat build. Kit by Model Shipways

I've been making progress on my model and according to the instruction booklet I should be painting it, at least parts of it.

Are acrylic's ok ? I did apply a sanding sealer. but I want to stain the untreated floor boards which are walnut.

Thanks

S.O.S.

If the centerboard is down raise the sail.  If you furl the sails raise the centerboard.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Tim,

Your build is looking great! 

Kudos to you!  With all the MBLS that have been built on this site, you are the first builder to see this error. 

I did a bit of bashing on my build and the centerboard is fully working, so the handle will always be in the right position.  Of note, when I was building up the keel, the opening in the deck was moved 18" back, to give better leverage when raising / lowering the centerboard.  The long brass bar was replaced with a length of chain and a black iron handle, that will be secured in a second deck opening a few inches behind the cabin door.  This second deck opening location was determined by the movement of the centerboard.

If you hit one the the rock ledges that the Muscongus Bay is known for, the centerboard needs to be pulled up immediately to prevent damaging it.  

I still need to attach the black iron handle, but this cropped photo shows the deck openings.  The brass in the deck openings will be blackened. 

post-206-0-73120200-1395075595_thumb.jpg

Current Build

- Glad Tidings -MS  

Completed Builds

- Dragon - Corel - One design International Class Yacht

- Sloup Coquillier / Shell Fish Sloop - Corel - Based on 'Bergere de Domremy / Shepherdess from Domremy

- Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack - Scratch build based on drawings from Chapelle's book "American Small Sailing Craft" 

On the Shelf

- Gretel-Mamoli     - Emma C. Berry-MS    - Chesapeake Bay Pilot Boat, Semi-scratch 

Find yourself hoping you never reach your destination

If the centerboard is down raise the sail.  If you furl the sails raise the centerboard.

Bob

Bob, on my ongoing quest for info on these boats; were the centerboards always stowed when moored? 

It would make more sense to raise the CB when moored. Who would want the board to rattle around in the trunk . That would do more harm. Besides at some LL tides it would hit bottom with the increased possibility of more damage if the incoming tide brings some waves.

S.os

I've been making progress on my model and according to the instruction booklet I should be painting it, at least parts of it.

Are acrylic's ok ? I did apply a sanding sealer. but I want to stain the untreated floor boards which are walnut.

Thanks

S.O.S.

This looks great! And I thought after my 4th midwest kit, I was ready to tackle my Bluenose... you've made this look fun.... like I want to try one.

These Midwest kits are great for gaining experience without spending a lot. You've done a beautiful job with it. I take it your wife approves and it passes the mustard for the curio cabinet?

Thanks for the replies, guys. Yes, I think I've still got a spot to display it in the curio cabinet. It's gonna take up more space than she thinks, I'm afraid, so I might have to figure out an alternate plan. I'm gonna need space for the Pinky too - and then the .......

Tim

Edited by timo4352

Tim

Bob, on my ongoing quest for info on these boats; were the centerboards always stowed when moored? 

I always did.

Bob

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

She's done!  :champagne:       I decided to go with sails. This first model was supposed to be a learning experience, and I needed to learn how to do sails too!

My first attempt I ruined the sail fabric. This second set I used watered down Elmer's glue to seal the sail fabric. No stitching - just drew in pencil lines. I even went to buy some different fabric, but in the end I used these sails. I'm happy with the outcome. The next model I think I'll sew the sails on. 

Now my lovely wife has to get a spot in the curio cabinet cleared out. :cheers:

Some pics-

13297077383_bbed3d2741_c.jpg

13297096493_20133f0503_c.jpg

13297086533_5155f3e7bb_c.jpg

13297308154_3112e0ed17_c.jpg

Tim

Absolutely beautiful.  You made a wise decision about the sails. Now! When can I borrow her to sail in my bathtub? ;)

Such a beauty deserves a name.

Did you put a coin in the mast step, face down ?

S.os

PS another ? Are ya gonna put a crew person at the helm ? ?

Thanks

S.O.S.

Thanks S.os!

No coin. No crew. Maybe a bilge rat.... ;)  

She does need a name though...

Tim

Thanks guys. It's been a very enjoyable both to build the model and to share the experience with you all.  :dancetl6:

Tim

Well done.  Nice sails.  I'm like S.os, I want to sail her.

Bob

Thanks guys 

The sails were actually made from an old dress shirt that I recycled out of my closet!  :o

Tim