Bounty by Mike Dowling - FINISHED - OcCre - 1/45

Thank you so much - I have sent a PM for your interest.

Current build : Gorch Fock Occre

Completed non-boat build 1/16 Model expo Sopwith Camel - in shore leave.

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

Artesania Latina Red Dragon (Modified)

Non-boat build 1/24 scale Dennis bus by OcCre - in shore leave.

Mare Nostrum (modified)  Amati Oseberg (modified)  Chaperon sternwheel steamer 1884   Constructo Lady Smith kit/scratch build   

OcCre Santisima Trinidad Cross Section 

Constructo Robert E Lee Paddle Steamer  Constructo Louise, steam powered river boat   OcCre Bounty with cutaway hull 

Corel Scotland Baltic Ketch (not on MSW) OcCre Spirit of Mississippi paddle steamer (not on MSW)

In the Gallery:
 Mare Nostrum   Oesberg  Constructo Lady Smith   Constructo Robert E Lee   Constructo Louise   OcCre Bounty   OcCre Spirit of Mississippi

• 6 months later...

Hey howya goin Mike mate, I like the way you did the sail with wind in them well done mate.   :bird-vi:

I'm probably not going to live long enough to build all these but I'm BLOODY going to try HAHAHA.

Future Builds: The Schooner Bluenose, scale 1:48, POF Scratch Build (Gene Bodnar practicum - Plans from modelshipbuilder.com)

HMS Victory, scale 1:64 or 1:48, POF Scratch Build (John McKay's plans)

Current Builds: 42ft Longboat Armed for War 1834, scale 1:36 POF Scratch Build (Plans from A.N.C.R.E.) 

Galley Washington 1776, scale 1:48, POF Scratch Build (NRG's Plans)

Ragusian Carrack, scale 1:59, POB kit (MarisStella)

King of the Mississippi, scale 1:80, POB Kit (Artesania Latina)

HMS Snake 1797, 18 Gun Sloop of War, scale 1:64, POB Kit (Jotika/CalderCraft)

Current Build: Stage Coach 1848, scale 1:10, Kit (Artesania Latina) Shhh don't tell the Admins I'm building this I'll hide it here ^under this line^ so they don't see it HAHAHA.

• 3 years later...
On 2/15/2014 at 1:15 PM, Mike Dowling said:

Hi all, many thanks for all the comments, I look forward to having a look at your log Captain Al and maggsl_01 I hope I can do the model justice! I have to say it is turning out to be a tricky beast, maybe OcCre are a bit over the top with their detail!! I am hoping to get the lower deck finished  and fitted soon so watch this space!!

Because it is early days I am not sure if there is enough wood supplied to finish the kit in the end, I rather suspect not. It is amazing to me how much wood you get through just with finishes and linings. I am sure the stagecoach I built was easier than this. Never mind I am having fun, just can't believe the time I'm putting in!!!

I will try and post some more pics soon!

I will hitch a ride on this build. I just received my OCCRE Bounty kit from Latvia of all places. Therefore I am especially interested in any kit problems you run into! 

On 2/20/2014 at 5:30 AM, Mike Dowling said:

post-10647-0-92497800-1392892008_thumb.jpgpost-10647-0-50904600-1392892054_thumb.jpgpost-10647-0-24605400-1392892091_thumb.jpgpost-10647-0-23486500-1392892121_thumb.jpgpost-10647-0-58092200-1392892160_thumb.jpgHi everyone, at last some more pictures for you. As you can see, the whole framework has now been stained and the bottom deck cut, planked glued and varnished, cabins and bilge on top and beams ready for the next deck.

A couple of thoughts. Firstly despite what some would have us believe plywood does warp, badly!! Also CA glue does not like varnish at all. I must remember not to varnish the bits I have to glue afterwards!!

I find it hard to believe I have put in so many hours with not a lot to show for it all. Still it doesn't matter, it is a challenge and good fun.

Is 'kit bashing' when you get really fed up and smash it all to bits or is it altering the bits that should fit and do not or will not? If it is the latter than a good bash has been had already!.

I keep finding a lot of ship builders keep referring to coating parts with varnish. But that's not compatible with CVA glues. Would shellac work?

On 3/10/2014 at 2:07 PM, Mike Dowling said:

HI there and many thanks for the post. Being a bit of a peasant I'm afraid I don't understand some of your nautical terms as yet! However I know on my build I have had to remove any sections of beam below cutouts. Seems like a shame when one has been so careful doing them in the first place!! I suppose it makes sense in the end. Believe me, I too am having sleepless nights worrying about the planking!! Maybe I should have chosen an easier ship for a beginner!

Anyway, thanks for the comments and I will keep watching yours.

All the best,

Mike.

Hi Mike,  As I have this kit too. Can you list the sections where you had to beams and post some pictures? I am saving these build logs for future when I can actually get to it. 

On 3/12/2014 at 2:26 PM, Captain Al said:

I like your sense of humor. It will serve you well I think in the days and weeks to come. My wife and I were just poring over the pictures and plans that come with the kit and its very weird. The pictures on the huge box that it all comes it has something down there, whether or not its a deck or not is hard to tell. But the instructional photos show nothing more than a fwd/aft running beam that is fixed to the inner side of frames 8 and 9 (just forward of the holding well box. The picture shows a lot of barrels and bales heaped inside, resting only on the hull planking. I suppose this beam is to hold these barrels in (but they'll be glued). And in reality, I don't think these heavy barrels would have been allowed to sit just on the planking. But the plans show nothing; neither a deck or a beam. So just like you said, why make things more complicated than they already are. I'm going to move on with the work that I have in front of me and follow the plans/instructions as they've been written. Maybe someone with more naval history can provide an answer re the ballast cause I am still curious about that. And if they actually used something like stones (which they did), it would be easy enough to throw some pebbles in there.

Hi Captain Al, I have followed marine archeology for a number of years. And in at least 80% of the underwater wrecks where the hull was still reasonably presented, the ballast was stones. Research NG wreckage stories. 

On 3/21/2014 at 7:03 AM, Mike Dowling said:

Thanks for that Dom, oh and by the way, thanks also for the tip about using map pins. Brilliant! Just need to get some now. What I will do when I get there is put on just one plank - which might be a control strake at the top. Take a pic and see what you say after that. OK?

My hawse pipe/s (thanks again) are not metal on mine. Oh no, I have to carve them and drill them all by myself! And eventually feed the rope through the insy little holes I made in the decks to the bottom of the boat where I suppose I am expected to curl them up to look neat and if someone on board put them there!

Just a little rant, I am enjoying it really!

Thanks for the heads up on the hawse pipes! You will have to post pictures.

On 3/21/2014 at 1:20 PM, Captain Al said:

Dom, I looked carefully at the pictures and here's what I can make of them (re the hawse pipes)....the anchor rode (be it all chain or chain and rope) runs through the hawse pipes in the bulwarks to the windlass.  The excess then runs down through the main and lower decks and is coiled in the bilge between the forward and aft holding platforms.  Two things seem curious to me in this.  One, I can't see the hawse pipes for the main deck (not the bulwark pipes, but the pipes for the excess to run through) and I can't locate a part for them in the parts list.  Two, I would find it strange to stow anchor rode in the bilge.  Yet this is what the picture on the box shows pretty clearly.  More on this I guess when I get there.  Right now I'm just going to  stick parts 93 ("anchor hawse pipes") in their designated holes in the lower deck. 

Just my two cents. But ships store anchor ropes and chains in line lockers below deck and not in direct contact with the bilges. Bilges are usually wet and contaminated with chemicals that would rot and destroy anchor ropes and chains stored in direct contact for long periods of time. I suggest a detail missing is such an open locker on the lowest deck for containing the ropes and chains dry and protected from the bilges.

On 3/24/2014 at 1:13 PM, Mike Dowling said:

Sorry mate, lost me again there! Soak, bend, apply while wet but don't glue? I tried that with a small test piece but, whilst drying it has sort of unbent itself which is not helpful.

I have seen some builds where they repeated this 2 or 3 times to get the plank right.

On 3/24/2014 at 2:59 PM, Mike Dowling said:

I have got a manual plank bender. The problem with this, which I did mention earlier in my log, is that it does spread the wood sideways a little bit. It is effective but the spread progressively becomes a problem.

That said, were can I get an electric plank bender?

Try EBay. I bought two on there based on recommendations from other builders.  https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Aeropiccola-Ralt-RA-5-Plank-Bender-for-Model-Ship-Building/174601642404?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649 This one was highly recommended.

On 3/24/2014 at 3:20 PM, fifthace said:

Right HERE

But to be honest, I've used mine twice since I bought it. Since then it gathers dust on a hook on the wall.

You will need to have a shaver adaptor as well though, or cut the plug off and fit a UK one.

I don't understand what you mean by the sideways spread?

EI believe he's referring to the displacement of wood fibers laterally as the plank is compressed around the form.  The minor distortion can lead to gaps as progressive planks are laid next to each other. It can be corrected by light sanding to true up the plank to actual dimensions. 

• 1 year later...