Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve - FINISHED - Model Shipways - 1:16 Scale - SMALL

ROFL !!!!

What an idea ! Genious !!!!

And good result.

But what to do rest of us who has not enough hair, and a little remains is white?

I have some left-over if you want it, Nenad,

:dancetl6:  :dancetl6:  :dancetl6:

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

There are not coconuts on Cutty Sark.

Thanks anyway

But idea stays !

I must rethink this idea considerinog hair of my daughters Persian cat

Making ropes? That could be something !

Edited by Nenad M

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

Careful there, we're all about to be sent to our rooms without dinner....  :D  :D :D  :D  :D  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Arr. I have contributeth mine own blood to mine project. But never mineth own follicles. Thine has truly setteth an example, Cap'n.

Regards, Keith

gallery_1526_572_501.jpg 2007 (completed): HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina  gallery_1526_579_484.jpg 2013 (completed): Viking Ship Drakkar - Amati  post-1526-0-02110200-1403452426.jpg 2014 (completed): HMS Bounty Launch - Model Shipways

post-1526-0-63099100-1404175751.jpg Current: HMS Royal William - Euromodel

Avast there CaptainSteve, methinks your gonna need a bigger boat.

Sorry to hear of your mishap mate, as Mark says, follow the sawbones advice for a speedy recovery, but it is hard I know.

Barrels, fruit, nuts, spears & buckets, is there no end to your talents, love it mate.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

• 2 weeks later...

Arr. I have contributeth mine own blood to mine project. But never mineth own follicles. Thine has truly setteth an example, Cap'n.

Arrr ... in truth, Keith, they be not mine own follicles. Although, indeedeth, I didst consider saving the left-overs from a couple of days' worth o' beard trimmings and shavings.

.... but, the problem there be that, like yerself, my beard doth be red in colouration !!!

CaptainSteve

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

As ye will no doubt be aware, Our Hero hath been down (but not out) these past few weeks. He be back at work this previous seven-day, although on reduced duties as per the Sawbone’s orders, and surgery doth feature in CaptainSteve’s future early in the New Year.

“I be slowed … but notteth stopped,” he didst explaineth, “and Life must moveth onwards.”

O'er the past few weeks, as Our Hero’s pile of unwatched DVDs grew smaller and smaller, and as he didst regain some limited movement, work commenced on sanding down masts and spars …

post-675-0-23870700-1419014299_thumb.jpg

Here they be after staining ...

post-675-0-23425300-1419014305_thumb.jpg

... and fading on their lower ends (where they shall be affixed into the mast-steps)

post-675-0-92336100-1419014315_thumb.jpg

… and with the tops painted.

post-675-0-19507600-1419014367_thumb.jpg

“O’course, they didst require a Docker stripe at the top,” CaptainSteve did addeth.

Here they be dry-fitted to me Launch (apologies for the blurry photography) …

post-675-0-39447500-1419014378_thumb.jpg

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

O’course, masts ‘n’ spars will be requiring sails to be hung from them …
“Otherwise, what beeth the point ??”, CaptainSteve didst juxtapose. “Indeedeth, without sails, ye may as well just be calling ‘em Sticks !!”

So far, Our Hero has traced patterns from the Plan sheets onto the kit-supplied cloth ...
post-675-0-29435100-1419016425_thumb.jpgpost-675-0-26625100-1419016431_thumb.jpg

… thence didst he also maketh patterns for the corner trim pieces.

post-675-0-10284700-1419016438_thumb.jpg

“All I shalt be sayin’ fer now wouldst be ‘Thank Thee Heavens for Fray-Check !!’”

post-675-0-50606800-1419016450_thumb.jpg

“At this point, I should wish to thank JesseLee," CaptainSteve didst sayeth. "For ‘twas from his Scottish Maid log which I didst borrow most heavily whence making me sails.”

“O’course, they shall be needing sail bands,” CaptainSteve didst explain.
Here, Our Hero doth show the making o’ these …

post-675-0-50364100-1419016528_thumb.jpg

Essentially, what he didst doeth was to clamp thin strips (5mm) of the sail cloth between two steel rulers. Then, Our Hero wouldst carefully go along the length, ensuring a straight 1mm edge. Once lined up, he didst useth ruler and table-top to fold the cloth edge over and onto its' ownself.

post-675-0-11203800-1419016546_thumb.jpg

... thence turn the sail-band over, reclamp between the rulers, and do the same thing to the other edge ...

post-675-0-34322200-1419016534_thumb.jpg 

Now provisioned with a goodly stock of bands ready-to-go, CaptainSteve be currently in the process of sewing these in place upon his sails …

post-675-0-07019600-1419016554_thumb.jpg

post-675-0-57372000-1419016560_thumb.jpg

Our Hero will no doubt tell you that these be a work-in-progress …

“These sails be a work-in-progress,” CaptainSteve didst begin. “Verily, I doth have plans to give ‘em a weathered and weather-beaten look …”

[TEASER: Currently, there is a spare piece of sail cloth drying on my balcony after spending several days soaking in coffee as a test.]

“To this point, I only be half-ways done wi’ these,” he didst conclude.

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

I'm just "catchething" up, after a couple weeks abroad, so forgive my tardiness, but those coconuts made made my lunch come out of my nose. They are the best!

If there, in fact, no award for creative innovations, there should be and it should be a replica of your hairy coconuts (Please, no off color pun intended but I don't know how else to describe them).

Brilliant, sir.

S

Avast there CaptainSteve, methinks your gonna need a bigger boat.

Sorry to hear of your mishap mate, as Mark says, follow the sawbones advice for a speedy recovery, but it is hard I know.

Barrels, fruit, nuts, spears & buckets, is there no end to your talents, love it mate.

Be Good

mobbsie

Thank ye, Mobbsie.

In truth, I have an over-supply of coconuts, mangoes, bread-fruits etc etc. They won't all be appearing in the completed build ... just the best looking ones.

Otherwise, the whole thing would end up looking more like a bowl of fruit-salad !!

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

... but those coconuts made made my lunch come out of my nose.

S

Arrr ...then my work here be done !!!

:cheers:

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Good job on those bands!

Current build: Syren : Kit- Model Shipways

Side project: HMS Bounty - Revel -(plastic)

On hold: Pre-owned, unfinished Mayflower (wood)

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

That I did, George ... that I did !!

But the problem with the inevitable festivities is the inevitable hangover which doth follow.

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Hello Captain, I'm new to this site and am in the midst of my Launch build. I'm very impressed by your attention to the fine details, stunning! I'm looking forward to see your finished sails. Good day, Matt.

Matt - aka The Squirrel Whisperer

Current builds - Benjamin W. Latham by Matt

Competed builds - USS Ranger by Matt

HMS Bounty Launch by Matt

18th Century 10" Sea Mortar by Matt

18th Century Naval Smoothbore by Matt

Future builds - Willie L. Bennett Chesapeake Bay skipjack (MS) Half Moon (Corel) Emma C Berry Lobster Smack (MS)US Brigantine Eagle (Corel) New Bedford Whaleboat (MS)

Thanks Matt ...

I be lookin' forward to following your build log when ye get around to starting one.

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

I just wonder ... what bright idea would be digged up for sails ....?

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

Hey Captain, I did the same with my sails(coffee), not as weathered as I'd like, maybe tobacco tea?

I actually thought of tying it to my bumper for a week or so, let me know how you're coming along. Your sails look great.

Matt

post-17116-0-70638600-1419383845_thumb.jpg

Future builds - Willie L. Bennett Chesapeake Bay skipjack (MS) Half Moon (Corel) Emma C Berry Lobster Smack (MS)US Brigantine Eagle (Corel) New Bedford Whaleboat (MS)

Jus' a quick update to show where I'm at with me sails ...

"After 'most three gruelling weeks working with needle and thread," CaptainSteve did moan, "I has completed the sewing stage o' me sail-making."

In fact, Our Hero could have finished this stage some two weeks ago ... if only he'd bother to learn how to use the sewing machine gifted him by his mother !!

"Arrr ... it be too bloody hard and complicated fer my brain to figure out", he was heard to mumble.

So, here they be ...

post-675-0-06278300-1419407149_thumb.jpg

post-675-0-40079900-1419407152_thumb.jpg

They does look a little rough around the edges at the moment, but that be because CaptainSteve has recently laundered them and they be in desperate need of a good ironin'. 

Next up, will be the ties (INSERT ACTUAL NAUTICAL TERM HERE) on the sail bands, and also ringlets at the lower corners (for tying off the rigging) and along the upper edge (to attach to the spars).

As for weatherin' and weather-beaten, he didst experiment with soaking a test swatch in coffee for some days, but found this produced a tan (coffee-coloured??) stain effect which was even throughout.

"This be not the look that I was tryin' for," CaptainSteve explained.

And so, experimentation upon the test swatches doth continue ...

PS: Merry Christmas to each an' every one o' ye !!

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Ahoy there Captain! That's some good looking seamstress work. I hope you and yours have a Happy Holiday. post-12186-0-53432800-1419427871.gif

Merry Christmas post-12186-0-36514600-1419427953.gif

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

I just wonder ... what bright idea would be digged up for sails ....?

Glad that you asked, Nenad.

As mentioned above, the coffee-staining test was less than impressive. And so, experimentation into colouration doth continue.

"What I be going for," CaptainSteve didst begin to ruminate, "wouldst be most similiar to how they look in the last picture. But, I was hopin' the coffee test would produce vertical streaks of darker colouring."

Indeedeth, to this very end, Our Hero had strategically placed lines of coffee granules within the folds o' the test swatch.

"But, thee very besteth that didst result was darker blotches," he didst bemoan. "Methinks I shall resort to dry-brushing !!"

Thought also shall be given unto the application thereof of dry-brushing rust stains running down from the sail eyelets - after these have been added, o'course ...

Meanwhile, CaptainSteve be also giving consideration to a somewhat radical idea, which he doth now wish to unveil ...

"I be toying in my head wi' an inspiration and wouldst now put it to the Horde, to comment aforehand," he stated. "I be thinkin' of making a cut into each o' me sails (or, mayhaps, just a single cut on one) and then be sewing it back together again."

Now, afore everyone thinks that CaptainSteve has finally lost his marbles and leaves in disgust, alloweth Our Hero to explain ...

"For what I be lookin' to show is that repairs were necessary on-the-fly, as it were," he didst begin. "Howe'er, the joinin' wouldst be done with a different, rougher type o' overhand stitchin'."

For now, this doest remain no more than an idea ...

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

I did a tea& coffee together soak on mine. Just be sure to follow with a baking soda soak if you do anything acidic like tea.

Current build: Syren : Kit- Model Shipways

Side project: HMS Bounty - Revel -(plastic)

On hold: Pre-owned, unfinished Mayflower (wood)

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

I did a tea& coffee together soak on mine. Just be sure to follow with a baking soda soak if you do anything acidic like tea.

I don't want to stomp on Steve's post or anything, but just a quick question if I may. How long is long enough, but not too long, to soak your sails in something as acidic as tea?  :)

Cheers and Happy Holidays Too All 

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Thanks, Jesse ...

I would imagine the baking soda would be a wash, to ensure the tannins (and other acids) don't continue to break the sail cloth down.

So, to answer your question, George, probably 10 to 15 minutes should be enough.

EDIT: The 10-15 mins would be for the soaking in baking soda to remove the acidity of the tea. In the past, I would soak overnight (or even two or three nights) in the tea. Sorry 'bout the confusion.

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Ah! Thanks much for that info. If left to my own devices, I would have soaked it over-night.  Probably wouldn't be a sail left by then.  :o

Cheers  :cheers:

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Hey great looking sails. I'm about to start on the sails for my Leida pleasure yacht. Yours have come up great. I have one of those small compact (as seen on tv) sowing machines so I'll try that out. I think in going to dye mine in tea. For a lighter shade. It will be great when you install yours I think they'll look awesome.

Regards, Scott

Current build: 1:75 Friesland, Mamoli

Completed builds:

1:64 Rattlesnake, Mamoli  -  1:64 HMS Bounty, Mamoli  -  1:54 Adventure, Amati  -  1:80 King of the Mississippi, AL

1:64 Blue Shadow, Mamoli  -  1:64 Leida Dutch pleasure boat, Corel  -  1:60 HMS President Mantra, Sergal

Awaiting construction:

1:89 Hermione La Fayette AL  -  1:48 Perserverance, Modelers shipyard

Hey CaptainSteve, I was wondering what if there was a strong enough wind gust to break, say one end of the spar, which caused a long tear in the sail? Wouldn't this cause two separate repairs, taking the skills of all to repair at sea? Could they do it, or crumble under the hopelessness settling into their minds?

Matt

Interesting concept, Matt .. and one worth keeping in mind.

As the sails make up the most prominent feature when looking at the model, I just thought that they required some kind of weathering/weather-beating. I'm yet to make any actual cuts to them at this point, and just wished to know what my crew-mates thought of the idea.

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

I think it's a cool idea. For me, seeing an unexpected detail in someone's build really helps bring them to life and adds more interest. The hairy coconuts are a great example!

-Buck

Current build: AL Morgan's Whaleboat (1st build)

Kits in the ships locker: I cannot confirm nor deny that there may be a few kits in there...