Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve - FINISHED - Model Shipways - 1:16 Scale - SMALL

Arrr ...

I knew I forgot something !!!

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

Hey CaptainSteve,

So what's checked off on the list this week? Inquiring minds want to know.

Matt

Matt - aka The Squirrel Whisperer

Current builds - Benjamin W. Latham by Matt

Competed builds - USS Ranger by Matt

HMS Bounty Launch by Matt

18th Century 10" Sea Mortar by Matt

18th Century Naval Smoothbore by Matt

Future builds - Willie L. Bennett Chesapeake Bay skipjack (MS) Half Moon (Corel) Emma C Berry Lobster Smack (MS)US Brigantine Eagle (Corel) New Bedford Whaleboat (MS)

Hey CaptainSteve,

So what's checked off on the list this week? Inquiring minds want to know.

Matt

Ahh ... err ... ahem ... that be ...

Our Hero didst commenceth the weekend wi' mighty plans. Indeedeth, he was a-meanin' to maketh a base-plate & stand, as well as (time permitting) to work on the rudder and tiller. Unfortunately, however, other matters tooketh priority and CaptainSteve finds hisself at the end o' the weekend with very little done, and no photos processed.

"I didst make beginnin's on me rudder," he were to offer, apologetically. "It be tapered and planked and stained ... but that would be about all."

Also, some work has begun on a rough bark display stand ...

Verily, plans be afoot for Our Hero to maketh a special voyage to CaptainAndrew's abode next weekend specifically to work on that.

However, long-term followers of this log wouldst be well aware of just what can occur when the two Captains doth get together ... especially considering it will be a holiday long-weekend !!

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Arrr, welcometh to the hobby Josayer. I thinkst that this Bounty Launch is an ideal boat for beginners. Thy father is already making one, why not asketh him what he thinketh? Maybe a whale boat?

Regards, Keith

gallery_1526_572_501.jpg 2007 (completed): HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina  gallery_1526_579_484.jpg 2013 (completed): Viking Ship Drakkar - Amati  post-1526-0-02110200-1403452426.jpg 2014 (completed): HMS Bounty Launch - Model Shipways

post-1526-0-63099100-1404175751.jpg Current: HMS Royal William - Euromodel

Hey CaptainSteve,

Well my ailment list might have gone to a new level, hoarding. This is a good thing cuz I just happen to have an extra HMS Bounty Launch. So my son Jordan is about to embark on a three hour tour!

Matt

Future builds - Willie L. Bennett Chesapeake Bay skipjack (MS) Half Moon (Corel) Emma C Berry Lobster Smack (MS)US Brigantine Eagle (Corel) New Bedford Whaleboat (MS)

See, I figured this way that Jordan's squirrels and mine might get together and...I wonder if this boat can fly?

Matt

Hey I like what you are doing with your boat CaptainSteve. I'm Matt's son and figured I'd try and build a boat myself. This is my first boat so I could use any helpful info you guys have.

Welcome aboard, Jordan. You have a very fine teacher sitting over on the other work-bench.

See, I figured this way that Jordan's squirrels and mine might get together and...I wonder if this boat can fly?

Matt

Oh dear ... this is gunna get messy !!

:dancetl6:  :dancetl6:  :dancetl6:

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Well, our Hero does appear to have survived his latest trip to CaptainAndrew's with no injuries ...

No pics just yet (they need editing to protect the innocent), but we did make headway on a base-stand for me Launch. It be currently drying out on me balcony for the time being.

Also, as I would like to partly furl the sails on this model, and as MS have only included just the two blocks with the kit (to be used for the spar-lifts), I picked up a pack of spare blocks from my local hobby shop yesterday and plan on adding these to the spars for bunt-lines.

Finally, me order of ropes from Syren didst arrive from across the seas. I be currently serving an anchor cable for the grapnel.

This doth, however, raiseth a question: Where does the free end of the anchor rope a-fix to ?? 

My thinkin' is that it would probably be tied-off to the forward mast-step ... but I ain't certain.

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Hey CaptainSteve,

I plan on furling my sails as well. I've found a few diagrams, but I'm still trying to find one with the proper rigging. Help!?

Matt

Yer. Not sure if I can't be of much help to you there, yet, Matt.

Not sure if I've mentioned it before, but my real-life sailing experience is next-to non-existent. But, never fear, a recent arrival is the book "Rigging Period Ship Models" by Lennarth Pettersson (ISBN 978-1-55750-970-3).

It has some excellent drawings, and already I've learnt heaps - including the term, "bunt-lines", which I used above (sure hope it is correct).

Until I can find a definitive answer, I be planning on attaching one (or two) blocks to each spar ... then tie a line (of Chuck's new rope) to the spar, run it down and underneath the foot of the sail and then back up the other side, through the block(s) and then down to a belaying pin.

(Also, due to pics in Rigging, I be a-thinking of adding another row of reefing ties lower down to both o' me sails.)

I be gettin' back to ye if I learn more on this matter ...

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Thanks CaptainSteve, I'll be surfin the net as well.

Matt

Hey CaptainSteve,

Historic Ship Models by Wolfram zu Mondfeld / page 321

post-17116-0-04230800-1422200396_thumb.jpg

Yer. Probably more like Line 3 in your pic, Matt ... tho' I be guessing (and it's only a guess) that the block would be attached to the spar.

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Here be some work-in-progress pictures of the bark base-plate which I am trying to make. This idea was something I saw on a web-site somewhere and I didst happen to like the look of it. I've never tried it before, and if, in the end, the whole thing doest looketh like crap, then it shall be binned.

First up, a tray of bark pieces collected from nearby parklands ...

post-675-0-29242800-1422208017_thumb.jpg

... followed by the board weighted down with wood blocks and bricks ...

post-675-0-68151500-1422208021_thumb.jpg

(Apologies for the lack of in-progress pics ... me hands didst have glue all over them.)

More than a day later, and this next shot be-eth current, whilst the board doth dryeth upon CaptainSteve's balcony.

post-675-0-39974000-1422208024_thumb.jpg

Next up, Our Hero shalt be sealing the whole thing, afore fitting the pedestals ...

post-675-0-31095900-1422208026_thumb.jpg

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Possible coral reef?????

Thanks,

Patrick

YouTube Channel for fun: Patrick's Scale Studio

Finished: Model Shipways US Brig Niagara

Current: I Love Kit USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

George,

Thanks ... if it works.

Patrick,

I'm aiming for something which resembles a log. Basically, something rustic-looking to fit in with the whole weathered look.

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

It looks really good! I thought you were going to surprise us with painting it and all of that texture would end up like a coral reef you might find off of Fiji. LOL

Thanks,

Patrick

YouTube Channel for fun: Patrick's Scale Studio

Finished: Model Shipways US Brig Niagara

Current: I Love Kit USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

Well now...hairy coconuts, bird poop, and now crap? Just what are you up to, CaptainSteve? You are either a brilliant genius or making a brew to knock-off the competition!?

Matt

Arrr ... 

'T'as been a busy weekend fer CaptainSteve, but he didst (not ten minutes ago) manage to taketh some latest in-progress shots of the base-stand.

"This be after I didst giveth the whole surface a liberal brushing with Dope," he didst begin to explain-eth.

("Nay !! Not-eth THAT kind o' dope, ye dope !!")

This stuff be used, so Our Hero didst learneth, to tighten up the skins on cloth and paper aircraft (and also to tear the bejeezus outta the laminate from cheap corner tables).

Thusly, he be a-figuring ... paper .... bark .... paperbark ... 

As 'twere to turneth out, the dope not only workethed well as a sealant, but didst also work to bringeth out the colouration. 

post-675-0-84235500-1422270985_thumb.jpg

More work remains ....

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

This be jus' another brief update to Our Hero's build-log ...

"Recently, I didst take delivery o' some of Chuck's ropes," CaptainSteve didst begineth. "Indeedeth, verily they be most rope-like in appearance."

As such, he doth plan to swappeth out the kit-supplied threads, which doest be most shiny.

"Especially working with 1/16th scale, the new ropes will be looking much better," CaptainSteve didst suggest.

First up, Our Hero didst seize a length of 0.045" tan line, using 0.008" black line ...

post-675-0-50081700-1422797312_thumb.png

... once seized, he didst strop a loop for the grapnel chain and thence serve-eth that.

post-675-0-20966700-1422797317_thumb.jpg

Thence, he didst adapt an idea borrowed from Modeller12 to make Flemish coils ...

post-675-0-07338800-1422797320_thumb.jpg

post-675-0-08474300-1422797323_thumb.jpg

They be simply two discs cut from hard plastic, then slipped down on a toothpick and stuck into a pencil eraser.

"I didst first trail the end o' the grapnel rope through the hole in the bottom disc," CaptainSteve tried to explain. "And then smear some PVA onto one disc and thence proceed to wrap the line whilst pushing the discs together and turning the eraser around.

post-675-0-96029200-1422797325_thumb.jpg

"Here be me grapnel sitting lazily upon the front o' me Launch," he continued. "I be plannin' to let half o' me coil hang down over the edge of the thwart."

As for the loose end, well, CaptainSteve still be a-waitin' the answer as to where the grapnel rope shall be tied off ...

"To me, thee logical choice doeth seem to be to affixeth it to the for'ard mast-step," he didst concludeth.

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Nice job on the grapnel there Captain! Good to see you back on the job. I know it's warm there,-----we're expecting 8 to 12 inches of that white fluffy stuff today.   :huh:

Cheers  :cheers:

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Thanks, George.

Even though I have made little progress lately, I am still moving forward. Currently working on finishing up the base-plate which will become the stand.

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Hey CaptainSteve,

I do love the grapnel and the perfectly coiled rope, a very nice touch. I got home yesterday and thoroughly filled the squirrels with knowledge. The results are on my page and somewhat disappointing.

Matt

Captain Steve, you are coming along nicely, the trick you used for your Fleishman coil was pretty good. The workmanship for your grape was outstanding. How were you able to see what you were doing without getting a headache?

David B

Hey CaptainSteve,

I do love the grapnel and the perfectly coiled rope, a very nice touch. I got home yesterday and thoroughly filled the squirrels with knowledge. The results are on my page and somewhat disappointing.

Matt

I read the results of your research, Matt. Not disappointing at all.

Even though my grommets don't fit in with what you discovered, I won't be re-doing 3 weeks+ of work to remake the sails at this point. Reckon I'll still be adding a bunt-line, though. Primarily, this will be to lift the foot o' me sail to show off the internal details of my Launch.

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)