R5DDX

HMS Cutter Sherbourne by R5DDX - Caldercraft - Scale 1:64

Hello All,

I was going to start this build about a year ago, after some very helpful advice from members of this forum I managed to narrow the choice of my first build down to either HM Yacht Chathem or HMS Cutter Sherboure. However, shortly after that post my circumstances changed and was not able to start. But now I have decided, for many various reasons, to buy the Sherbourene, I like the fact that it spent most of its time in service around my home city of Plymouth. nevertheless it was a difficult choice between two magnificent vessels.

So I decided to create a new account as I cant remember my old one  :o,and am now eagerly awaiting the arrival of my kit  :D.

Thanks to though who offered there advise last year on that thread,

Cheers,

R5

Hi,

I am hoping to start my Sherbourne in the next couple of weeks, all being well.  I am just a few miles over the river Tamar from you.

I will follow your build log and will be glad of any tips that you have to pass on.

Have fun and enjoy.

Andrew

R5, Andrew,

I think I can safely say from all the other 'Sherbourners' here: 1) welcome, or welcome back; 2) you've made a very good choice of kit!

I believe you'll enjoy this build immensely, probably find a few problems along the way (we all have), and overcome them (with some help from the rest of us). Do start a build log with photos (we love photos) so that we can follow your progress (we like being nosy!)

You'll probably find the instructions a bit lacking (we all have), but not to worry as I'm sure the rest of us can offer advice. :)

Edited by Stockholm tar

Thanks for the welcome, 

"I will follow your build log and will be glad of any tips that you have to pass on." - Likewise Andrew !

I shall be taking lost of photos thought the build, thanks again,

R5

R5

I'm happy that our small fleet is growing, and I'm looking forward to your (and Andrew's) log - with, as Kester said, lots of pictures ;) .

I wish you (both) a good start and many hours of pleasure,

Gregor

Great news, R5! We're quite a chatty bunch, as you've probably seen, and it's been really nice to see how we all have our individual approaches to the model and to building in general. So it's going to be really interesting to see your own build.

Tony

Okay so its been a while, work has been very busy recently but the build is in progress !

I have assembled the keel and bulkheads, they are all glued nicely together. Also the false deck has been glued in place. All is looking rather good so far. Next stage is to offer up the bulwarks, I have noticed that they need a fairly shape curvature at the front end and was wondering if anyone had any techniques for this. Best I have seen so far is to put it in hot water, but does this make the wood swell ?

Also I think I need to invest in a pack of model pins as I understand they make planking a bit less stressful ! Anyone had any problems with using pins ?

So for no pics, will upload some when I am back at computer :)

Cheers all,

R5

Hi R5, shape the damp Bulwarks gently around a Mug (or other flat sided drinking vessel for example) and 'Clamp' them in place (or 'Peg' depending on what you have handy) leave overnight.. they may swell but when dry should go back to normal!

When it came to 1st planking I just pinned the planks directly to the bulkheads using longish slim pins straight through the planks into the bulkheads, you need only go into the bulwarks a few mm to secure them especially if you shaped the planks in advance... 2nd planking needed to be a little more 'creative' in that I used 'Map' pins (the ones with a kind of shoulder on them and shortish points) and pinned the 2nd planking by holding the plank in place and sticking the Map pins along side the new plank and holding it flat using the shoulder of the map pins (if you go back a couple of pages in my build log you will see plenty of examples of this method) that way you don't have pin holes in the 2nd layer!

Sorry for being sooo long winded btw

Best Of Luck With It

Eamonn

Hello,

Thanks for the advice Eamonn, bulwarks are now soaked and drying around a mug ! :)

Sounds interesting the way you did your planking, will have a look later.

And here are some pictures so far...

post-11056-0-46620600-1395424017_thumb.jpg

post-11056-0-37502900-1395424025_thumb.jpg

post-11056-0-38521400-1395424033_thumb.jpg