Airbrush results in "fuzz"

Hello all,

Here's my problem: when I airbrush bare wood, I'm getting a lot of fuzz on the model.

So, here's the particulars:

I'm working on the Midwest Sharpie Schooner.  The wood in the kit is basswood.  Before painting, I sanded everything very smooth with 600 grit sandpaper.  I'm very familiar with airbrushing.  I've been airbrushing plastic models for over 10 years.  I've tried both Model Master Acryl paints and Model Shipways paints with the same results: fuzz on the model.  The fuzz is not dust being kicked up.  It's definitely from the wood.

So, am I missing a step before painting?  I should I be sealing the wood first?  Hand brush primer and then use the airbrush?

Any help?

Thanks,

Jesse

I did experience similar problems while airbrushing  basswood. I ended up using sanding sealer and primer, several coats after sanding it off repeatedly using up to 800 grit sandpaper. The primer needs to be compatible to the type of paint being used.

Regards,

Ulrich

The problem is acrylics are water based as a result they tend to raise the grain on certain woods.  Basswood will always fuzz when using acrylics.  You have to use a sanding sealer before you can airbrush.

David B

Try using Tamiya acrylics they have a solvent base but clean up in water. They always need thinning first. I have used them on my Granado without any problem. Drying time is a little longer than water based acrylics but still much faster than enamels

Cheers
Craig 

Current Build

HMS Indefatigable 

Erycina - Vanguard Models

Finished: HM Bomb Vessel Granado - Caldercraft, HMS Pegasus - Victory models, Nisha - Vanguard Models

Hi,

Can you post a clear photo of this condition ? It may be that you are seeing the paint dry too quickly. What paint and thinning agent are you using ?

Also, can you provide a description of your paint, how it is thinned, the ratio of thinner as well as your settings...how much air pressure are you using, what is your distance from airbrush tip to surface ?

I would suggest trying some different settings and spraying some test panels or scrap. Try lowering the pressure, and moving in a bit closer....hard to say without knowing more about your set up and working conditions.

- Joe

Joe Zappa

Member, Nautical Research Guild & Puget Sound Ship Modelers

Typically when painting soft woods you really need to seal the grain with sanding sealer and/or a primer coat.  This coat should be applied, sanded, reapplied, then a final sanding.  The end result is a very smooth surface to apply your color over.

Using an airbrush, you should thin the paint to about a 50/50, paint to water, ratio.  Apply a light first coat, let dry, sand with 800 grit, then apply a second coat.  This second coat should dry overnight before being lightly sanded.  Apply a third coat and you should have a very smooth color finish.

This approach has served me very well with several projects.

Jack

Builds:

Bluenose  (Model Shipways 1:100)

Cutty Sark (Mini Mamoli)

Mayflower (Model Shipways)

Queen Anne's Revenge

Ghostbusters Proton Pack

Thanks for all the replies.  I figured since I've been airbrushing for a long time, albeit on plastic, I figured it was the medium I was airbrushing onto causing me the issue.

Jack,

I'm going to take your advice and do the "prime, sand, prime, sand" routine.  Do you have a recommendation on the primer type (acrylic, enamel or lacquer)?

I've stripped my model down to the bare wood.  I just need to do some sanding and repair a broken part, and I'll be ready to prime.

Thanks,

Jesse

Jesse,

I've been using the Model Expo Paints and Primer.  It's been working very well for me.  They're an acrylic based paint that is easily thinned with water.  Clean up is very easy.

Jack

Builds:

Bluenose  (Model Shipways 1:100)

Cutty Sark (Mini Mamoli)

Mayflower (Model Shipways)

Queen Anne's Revenge

Ghostbusters Proton Pack

• 3 months later...