HMS Victory by guraus - scale 1:48 plank on frames

You have made some stunning progress since my last post.

Really nice work man!!

Nick :cheers:

Model building Projects in progress:

- Hermione la Fayette, Artesania Latina:

- LINK TO Forum (MSW): http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2649-hermione-la-fayette-by-nickvn-artesania-latina-second-wooden-ship-built/page-1

- LINK TO Photo album (dutch website): https://modelbrouwers.nl/albums/album/11697/

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Alexandru:

I am thrilled to discover this build log for two personal reasons.... Of my many builds, the Victory is by far my favorite, having built her twice on different scales (and may build her again POF after studying your comprehensive log). The second reason being that I have found another true MASTER to learn from....and, believe me, I have so much to learn.

However long it shall take, I plan to visit every entry of your log. From here out, I will refrain from the clutter of so many "likes".....just know, I will be LIKING every thing I see (like a child in a candy store).

With greatest respect and appreciation....

Dave

Sawdust Dave -

Current build - USS Constitution 1:60th (scratch)....

Visit my blog site - All previous builds.... http://davesmodelships.blogspot.com

Thank you all for appreciation. Thanks Dave.

Here is another update. Quite a while since the last one but it took me a bit to plank and especially to "nail" the half of the middle deck. I already started with the framing of the different deck openings.

Here are some pictures.

post-540-0-54272600-1407974514_thumb.jpg

post-540-0-47174900-1407974517_thumb.jpg

post-540-0-39840400-1407974520_thumb.jpg

post-540-0-95237000-1407974522_thumb.jpg

post-540-0-86070900-1407974525_thumb.jpg

post-540-0-15578400-1407974528_thumb.jpg

post-540-0-47666300-1407974530_thumb.jpg

post-540-0-87163100-1407974532_thumb.jpg

post-540-0-42820900-1407974535_thumb.jpg

For all my builds please visit my site at: http://www.AlexShipModels.com

Previous builds

Beautiful work, Alexandru.  Is that holly for the deck?

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Alexandru....please excuse my questions (just a couple for now)....

I see more treenailing throughout your entire build than I have ever seen on any model....ever. Even as you did the most beautiful perfect hull planking I have seen (with treenails) knowing it would be covered with copper plating!

So my first question is - Do you use a filler for all those treenails? It appears that, in some cases, you used actual nails.

Second question.... Are there actually two of you?

Now I shall resume my study of your log (beginning at page 4), having turned off the lights in my shop for the night.

Dave

Sawdust Dave -

Visit my blog site - All previous builds.... http://davesmodelships.blogspot.com

Master A.....Just read your comment on page 4 regarding gun port positions at her bow....

"As for the gunports to low - there are things I am willing to repair and things that I do not - this is one of the latter. I'll live with it.

The fact that I corrected at least some of the problems makes me feel better about my build and this is something already."

I LOVE IT!!!!

Dave

Sawdust Dave -

Beautiful work, Alexandru.  Is that holly for the deck?

Yes, that is holly and it has quite an interesting story.

I bought it a year or so ago at a wood store in Ottawa at a very discounted price as the tree it came from was, when alive, "contaminated" with some kind of fungus so the wood is not the perfect clear white as it should but it has a blend of gray and green in it. The fungus is no longer active but the wood is no longer clean white either. But for the deck I think it is even better this way as the deck were getting in time a dirty white color after so many years of washing and stone/sand scrapping.

I also bought another piece of perfect white holly in the same time a tenth of the size of the one I used for decks at twice the price. Was planning to use that one on the more visible upper decks but I think I will stick with the tainted one all over.

Alexandru

Previous builds

Alexandru....please excuse my questions (just a couple for now)....

I see more treenailing throughout your entire build than I have ever seen on any model....ever. Even as you did the most beautiful perfect hull planking I have seen (with treenails) knowing it would be covered with copper plating!

So my first question is - Do you use a filler for all those treenails? It appears that, in some cases, you used actual nails.

Second question.... Are there actually two of you?

Now I shall resume my study of your log (beginning at page 4), having turned off the lights in my shop for the night.

Dave

I only used a filler on the inside of the hold planking. After that all you see is either nailed using brass wire or treenailed with wooden pegs. The outside of the hull is the only treenailed part. Wherever I can, I do the nailing in place so the brass wire actually passes through the plank and into the wood beneath. I use CA glue to keep the nail in place so this adds strength to the model - and is water proof unlike the rest of the glued parts for which I use carpenter's glue. The wooden treenails are also glued (with white carpenter glue) and hammered in place. They were square in section and forced into sound holes.

I used actual small brass and steel nails for the beams end on the shelves and for the ribbands. And for the rudder iron work. Anything else is 0.5mm brass wire.

I also used copper 1mm wire for the frames and keel joints in addition to glue and for deck shelves - the wire passes through them and the frames at each frame.

For the second question - there is only one of me but if you look at the date on the first pictures you will see that the actual build started in 2007... if you ask because it seems I work fast.

Alexandru

Alexandru

Previous builds

Alexandru....thank you so much for your detailed reply regarding your nailing. The use of brass wire for nails was indeed my guess. The sheer number of precisely drilled nail holes is simply mind boggling to me sir. I solute you with the utmost respect and admiration.

Also....I was delighted to discover your human side.....ripping out her bow wales to correct the sweep....otherwise we could be thinking you might actually be a computerized machine....har har

Fell asleep last night in my recliner on page 5....woke up and found my iPad had exhausted power.

Shop time this morning....will resume methodical study of your early postings later today when I take a break.

Yes, I did note the dates of your photos....another point....you are also a hell of a photographer to go along with your amazing wood crafting talents.

BTW.....You can find my two Vic's by clicking on the link below.

Very big fan....

Dave

Sawdust Dave -

Hi Alexandru,

Great to see your wonderful progress. I agree with you about the holly. Like you I've got some near perfect white fairly large size holly timber (bought about 30 years ago!) and some which I cut and dried from medium size logs. Although the latter is problematic in terms of uneven grain and splitting problems, I have used it for my lower deck planking mixed in with the older wood. The result is good variations in colour between the deck planks, which I find sets them off much better. What did you do about the seams between the planks? Did you use coloured glue? I used black paper. Can be a little messy somtimes but it gives a fairly good result. Also I like the way you have finised off the planks at the fore sides; again bravo for the excellent workmanship!

Bob  

• 2 weeks later...

I just want to thank you Alexandru for for your incredible work. And for lettings us watch! It is very inspiring indeed. But also, it has to be said, a little depressing... knowing I at least have a very long way to go with my model building. I guess we can't all be Michelangelos;) But thank you anyway for raising/setting the bar sky-high!

excellent work Alexandru,

Thanks for sharing...

I love your beautiful build, the skilled handcraft that goes with it and all its detailed Features, The Messenger cable / anchor Arrangement also Looks very good. I is a delight to see this model grow

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all

Thanks for the great comments!

I just returned after a two weeks vacation in Spain and Portugal and I visited three maritime museums there and I thought it would be a good idea to share with you some highlights of them - maybe someone will find the info useful.

First was the Barcelona museum. The highlight there is a full scale replica of a Royal Galley of 1568 60 meters long 6.2 wide and 59 oars - see first and third pictures (they mixed somehow).

Next was Madrid's naval museum with the incredible collection of arsenal models - pictures 2, 4 and 5. The museum impressed me much than the Paris and London ones which I visited several years ago.

And last was the Lisbon museum where most impressive was the collection of royal barges as you can see in last three pictures.

I've done a ton of pictures and recording there so now I will have food for tough for a while.

Alexandru

post-540-0-22057100-1410019882_thumb.jpg

post-540-0-46884300-1410019890_thumb.jpg

post-540-0-09360700-1410019947_thumb.jpg

post-540-0-22916200-1410019951_thumb.jpg

post-540-0-35937500-1410019955_thumb.jpg

post-540-0-12083000-1410020088_thumb.jpg

post-540-0-65680100-1410020091_thumb.jpg

post-540-0-72194600-1410020095_thumb.jpg

Edited by guraus

Previous builds

And since back I did do some actual work on my model. Here are some pictures of the brick work on muddle deck. Used different color of red woods for the brick which are 4.5 by 2 by 1 mm. Glued them on a piece of black bristle board with a bit of gap between them then I filled the gap with white balsa filler. I am quite happy with the results.

Alexandru

post-540-0-18689700-1410020328_thumb.jpg

post-540-0-29801100-1410020331_thumb.jpg

post-540-0-35899900-1410020335_thumb.jpg

post-540-0-77953300-1410020338_thumb.jpg

post-540-0-35956600-1410020342_thumb.jpg

post-540-0-88807200-1410020345_thumb.jpg

post-540-0-01541500-1410020349_thumb.jpg

Previous builds

Hello all

Thanks for the great comments!

I just returned after a two weeks vacation in Spain and Portugal and I visited three maritime museums there and I thought it would be a good idea to share with you some highlights of them - maybe someone will find the info useful.

First was the Barcelona museum. The highlight there is a full scale replica of a Royal Galley of 1568 60 meters long 6.2 wide and 59 oars - see first and third pictures (they mixed somehow).

Next was Madrid's naval museum with the incredible collection of arsenal models - pictures 2, 4 and 5. The museum impressed me much than the Paris and London ones which I visited several years ago.

And last was the Lisbon museum where most impressive was the collection of royal barges as you can see in last three pictures.

I've done a ton of pictures and recording there so now I will have food for tough for a while.

Alexandru

Awesome photos thanks for sharing

MIchael

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

Alexandru, great pictures, really. What ship is that half one (as an architect I love sections, lol)? Great work on your bricks! ^_^

Alexandru,

Lovely brickwork. 

If you'd like to post more pictures of the museums, could you post them here:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/forum/43-nautical-research-guild-news-model-ship-clubs-and-exhibitions-and-events-museums-and-museum-ships/   I think more people will see them there.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hi Alexandru,

I love this model, very authentic, lovely natural wooden tones, all the joining work, and next to many other eyecanmdy, the cable Arrangement for Steering and anchor haul so well done . Thanks so much for sharing your model art....

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Alexandru, great pictures, really. What ship is that half one (as an architect I love sections, lol)? Great work on your bricks! ^_^

Vivian, The section model is labelled "Midshipmen's training vessel (c. 1750)" 

There is a lot more information about this model and a lot of the arsenal models the Madrid museum has in a very nice book they printed "Modelos de Arsenal del Museo Naval". I bought it from the museum for 45 Euro but is also available online at: http://fundacionmuseonaval.com/tienda-on-line/tienda-museo-naval/libreria/catalogos/modelos-de-arsenal-detail. The book is in Spanish but at the end all text is also translated in English. Even so it is worth the money only for the high quality pictures of the models.

The same book was also translated in French under the title: "L'Armada - Maquettes du Musée naval de Madrid (XVII-XVIII)" which is available on http://Amazon.fr

Hope this info helps you,

Regards

Alexandru

Previous builds

Alexandru, thank you for the pictures of the museums they are really interesting.

Your work on the bricks is absolutely brilliant, using slightly different red coloured woods and mixing in the softer colours is a touch of genius.

I shall remember this method.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Alexandru, thanks for the info and the link. Hope I can visit those museums some day.