HMS Victory by guraus - scale 1:48 plank on frames

Kevin,

I don't think you got my evicted spiders as I didn't evicted them yet. You have your own. :) I'm just wording the eviction notice now so they won't get to scared...

Alexandru

For all my builds please visit my site at: http://www.AlexShipModels.com

Previous builds

Thank you

Watch out that you do not burn out your sander

(I did something similar with a hand drill once)

Alan

Alan O'Neill
"only dead fish go with the flow"   :dancetl6:

Ongoing Build (31 Dec 2013) - HMS BELLEROPHON (1786), POF scratch build, scale 1:64, 74 gun 3rd rate Man of War, Arrogant Class

Member of the Model Shipwrights of Niagara, Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada (2016), and the Nautical Research Guild (since 2014)

Associate member of the Nautical Research and Model Ship Society (2021)

Offshore member of The Society of Model Shipwrights (2021)

You are very inventive making those masts. Nice to see how you extended your lathe. I have to keep that in mind for the day the wood-fever will hit me.

• 2 weeks later...

Perfection continues...............

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

• 2 weeks later...

I really enjoy watching your build continue to grow.  Your work is great to see, but I do agree with Isalbert as the muntins are normally smaller than the sashes and stiles. 

Allan  

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

• 2 months later...

For the moment I gave up on the windows after several unsuccessful attempts. I am not happy with those that are now in place but I said I can change them later if I can make a better version. In the mean time I decided not to install any masts and started the upper deck framing but got lazy with the posting till somebody reminded my of it (thanks Bob  :)) and here it is the past due update:

post-540-0-49768200-1422190464_thumb.jpg

post-540-0-38009200-1422190465_thumb.jpg

post-540-0-59033000-1422190466_thumb.jpg

post-540-0-59798900-1422190467_thumb.jpg

post-540-0-69751000-1422190468_thumb.jpg

post-540-0-69526400-1422190469_thumb.jpg

post-540-0-71500100-1422190470_thumb.jpg

post-540-0-34214600-1422190472_thumb.jpg

post-540-0-85152300-1422190473_thumb.jpg

Edited by guraus

Previous builds

1/48 scale! Many modelers have built (and are building) HMS Victories, but how many chose 1/48 scale? I remember the Longridge model is none feet long! Or maybe the case it resides in was nine feet? I wonder if you plan to rig the model? where this huge model go when it is completed?

Niagara USS Constitution 

Fantastic progress, Alexandru. Its great to see the photos showing the whole deck. You don't need much imagination to believe your back in 1759-65 and surveying the real thing under construction! Your mastery in modelling and your posts really serve to remind us of just what feats of engineering these ships really were. One just runs out of superlatives to describe your work!

Bob 

1/48 scale! Many modelers have built (and are building) HMS Victories, but how many chose 1/48 scale? I remember the Longridge model is none feet long! Or maybe the case it resides in was nine feet? I wonder if you plan to rig the model? where this huge model go when it is completed?

No, I finally decided not to rig the model exactly because of its size. The hull itself is 56in long. For now I have no idea where will I put her when is done but at the speed I am advancing this will not be an issue fore several more years at least.

SawdustDave, Bob, and everybody who liked my pictures, thank you for appreciation.

Regards,

Alexandru

Previous builds

Alexandru, I have admired the work on Longridge's Victory for a long time, your model has taken this ship model and raised it to a whole new level of craftsmanship and detail.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Alexandru, I have admired the work on Longridge's Victory for a long time, your model has taken this ship model and raised it to a whole new level of craftsmanship and detail.

Michael

I agree!  I don't post much on your build because I can't find the words to express my amazement and I would just be repeatedly saying the same thing over and over.  By the way, a 56 inch long hull is nothing less than awesome!  I keep looking at the entire build over and over to see what I missed the previous times through the photos!

Thank you so much for giving us the privilege of seeing you work!

Marc

Edited by keelhauled

Alexandru,

A stunning work of art. Great update. You are building a miniature exact replica, plank-by-plank. astonishing !!

Michael

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

• 3 weeks later...