Oseberg Viking Ship by Jack P - FINISHED - Billing Boats - 1/25 Scale - 9th Century - (Modified)

Nice work as always!

But you are not dropping out on the extra bulkheads, are you? ;)

Ha, you caught me.  I was going to try to avoid doing them.  Oh well, no getting away from them now.   :cheers:

Here is a look at a rough cut of two of the additional bulkheads.  I had a piece of red oak the correct thickness.  I obviously like oak and have a fair assortment on hand.  I traced the laser cut out left over from the kit bulkheads and I need to adjust the height to account for the fact that if I use the oak I will not need to add the oak strip as was done on the plywood bulkheads.

I will have to study this a little since the strip turns up and the grain continues up as well.  With the new ones the curve cuts across the grain.  The difference in the look is pretty obvious.  I can always cut them out of junk wood and add the strip.

post-9182-0-79343700-1400451204_thumb.jpg 

Jack

"I Love the smell of sawdust in the morning" apologies to John Melius

Current Build:      Bomb Vessel Granado, 1742 - Cross Section Scratch Build 

Previous Builds:  Oseberg Billing Boats 9th Century Viking Ship Modified

Bluenose ll, AL, Lightly Bashed

Louisa Morrison Half Hull, Scratch Build

Photography Website:     http://www.27birds.com

Hi Jack, Sorry for not answering sooner. I think I may have found the answer to my problem, the plans have paper patterns of scroll work if I can find some gold print sheets I can take to Kinkos and have the paper printed on the gold sheets and then paste to bow and stern should work, I can also paste the gold onto 90# bond paper for more rigidity, the only thing I have not figured out is how you protect it when on ship. Thanks again Don

Hi Don,

That sounds like a good solution, let me know how it works.  Thanks for dropping by.

Jack

After having a thoroughly enjoyable read through your log,I have to say wonderful work Jack!! I have two model requests for my wife to fulfill one day,Mary Rose and a Viking ship,this kit looks like a very nice way to meet the later.Having also looked at your website,I have to say some of the pictures are positively awe inspiring,outstanding!

Kind Regards

Nigel

Hi Nigel,

Thanks for the kind words, they mean a lot coming from you.  Your work is truly amazing.  

I am a better photographer than I am a model builder but I am working on it.  This website is the best thing to happen to the hobby.  Having access to the resources here as well as be able to learn from and be inspired by the artisans here is a real gift.  Thanks for looking in and I am happy that you enjoyed the log and my photographs.  

Jack

It's really looking good. You did the right thing covering up the plywood - I was thinking it was a glaring fault in an otherwise faultless model and wondering how it could be remedied. You've done a wonderful job.

By the way, as far as colour goes, archaeologists have found paint on some parts of Viking ships. I recall somewhere seeing that "orpiment" - a yellow paint made from arsenic sulphide - was found on the steering oar of the Gokstad ship, and the Gokstad ship's shields were painted alternately yellow and black. It's possible the scrollwork on the Oseberg ship may have been painted. As well as black and yellow they had red ochre and a sort of greyish blue from wood-ash - see here for more info on colours (and other stuff) of Viking shields.

Edited by Louie da fly

Hi Bindy,  we missed you, happy you stopped in.  Thanks for the kind words.  

Speaking of photography, who does your avatars?  I photograph mostly birds and landscapes and I almost never do people.  In the time since I have been looking in you have had at least 4 avatars.  All interesting composition and lighting, of course a good subject always helps.  The new one is great.

Jack

Here is a small update on the added bulkheads.  They really do look nicer than the spacing provided by the kit.  I traced one of the ends of the plywood kit bulkheads and and cut a cardboard template.

post-9182-0-33911800-1400972923_thumb.jpgpost-9182-0-13661100-1400974700_thumb.jpg

Then I transferred the shape to a stack of 3 or 4 pieces of basswood and cut them out on a scroll saw.  After they were separated I would measure the space where each one was to live and cut the tails appropriately.

post-9182-0-55096600-1400974809_thumb.jpgpost-9182-0-49590000-1400972744_thumb.jpgpost-9182-0-26926700-1400975131_thumb.jpg

Since all they support are the planks, for the center of the bulkhead I just glued in a piece of basswood wide enough to stick out on either side of the oak strip.

post-9182-0-88422000-1400972887_thumb.jpg

post-9182-0-27886900-1400975973_thumb.jpgpost-9182-0-26725900-1400976010_thumb.jpg

All of the extra bulkheads are cut but I still have a lot of oak to bend and a whole lot of planks to cut and sand.  

I will do a mock up to see how caulking looks.  Surely the Vikings had something they used for waterproofing.

Jack

Hi Bindy,  we missed you, happy you stopped in.  Thanks for the kind words.  

Speaking of photography, who does your avatars?  I photograph mostly birds and landscapes and I almost never do people.  In the time since I have been looking in you have had at least 4 avatars.  All interesting composition and lighting, of course a good subject always helps.  The new one is great.

Naww ty Jack!   I have no doubt you would be an amazing people Photographer as well and have to admit I went through your whole gallery looking for you capturing the spark and soul and life and stories of people in a single shot (which I think you would to easily with your talent).  Sorry but my avatars are just cropped bits out of mostly iPhone pictures taken by my partner's daughter haha.  She takes some nice photos, but lots and lots and lots are not hahaha

It's really looking good. You did the right thing covering up the plywood - I was thinking it was a glaring fault in an otherwise faultless model and wondering how it could be remedied. You've done a wonderful job.

By the way, as far as colour goes, archaeologists have found paint on some parts of Viking ships. I recall somewhere seeing that "orpiment" - a yellow paint made from arsenic sulphide - was found on the steering oar of the Gokstad ship, and the Gokstad ship's shields were painted alternately yellow and black. It's possible the scrollwork on the Oseberg ship may have been painted. As well as black and yellow they had red ochre and a sort of greyish blue from wood-ash - see here for more info on colours (and other stuff) of Viking shields.

That is a really great link.  Now I am even more undecided about what to do about the shields!  I have not spent enough time on what to do with color.  I have not begun to build the shields but that day is coming.  I am also torn with the stain decision: should I use the dark stain to resemble the museum ship that was buried for a thousand years, or a more natural oak color as she might have looked in real life?  More research in my future I guess.

Thanks for the kind words and encouragement.  I knew the first minute I unpacked the kit that I would cover the plywood.  Thanks for looking.

Jack

Hey, Jack! Just found your log and have to agree with everyone - great job so far. I was wondering about buying this kit from seeing how Von_Kossa´s build log was developing, now I´m very sure - I´ll get this one! Nice improvisation on fixing those bended oak strains - and I do envy those tools of yours!! :P

Hi Vivian, I was about to start the Amati kit of the Oseberg when I found Von_Kossa's build.  I put it in the closet and bought the Billing kit.  His work is wonderful.  The Billing Boats kit is larger than most Viking boat models and it is the only one I could find with the scroll at both ends like the actual ship.  I love the toys (tools) too.  My other hobby (photography) lends itself to large collections of gadgets as well.

Jack

Hi Vivian, I was about to start the Amati kit of the Oseberg when I found Von_Kossa's build.  I put it in the closet and bought the Billing kit.  His work is wonderful.  The Billing Boats kit is larger than most Viking boat models and it is the only one I could find with the scroll at both ends like the actual ship.  I love the toys (tools) too.  My other hobby (photography) lends itself to large collections of gadgets as well.

Regarding the scroll work i found a little detail on the real ship i had not noticed before, on the front scroll work it is a dragon snakes head like on our model, but on the rear scroll work it is only the dragon snakes tail, but on our model we instead have to dragon heads. it is to hard to change the rear head into a tail so i will let it be, but it is an interesting detail.

Yes, but not for me... That is, if not Jack does something about this, then i will have to reconsider. ;)

LOL!  You guys really know how to put on the pressure.  :cheers:

Jack

Would we do soemthing like that? :rolleyes:

David B

Yes you would!  Thanks, the nudge does me good.

Jack

I have been slow to post lately for two reasons.  First, it is spring and I have been out chasing bugs and flowers.

post-9182-0-26573900-1401901865_thumb.jpgpost-9182-0-68572600-1401901968_thumb.jpg

The second reason is that I have been stalling.  I have a lot of oak to cut and since my Admiral was kind enough to order a Byrnes saw for my fathers day "surprise" I have waited rather than struggle with my old saw.  The Byrnes will arrive tomorrow so the updates should increase.

I have finished the added bulkheads and the planking supports attached to the bulkheads.  The next step is a day of steaming and bending of the oak caps for the bulkheads and the deck planks.

post-9182-0-09390300-1401901835_thumb.jpgpost-9182-0-00881100-1401901786_thumb.jpgpost-9182-0-48957000-1401901759_thumb.jpg 

This is a quick stain test using Minwax Gel Stain color Aged Oak.  I have been looking for a stain that would not be as dark as the ship after it was buried for 1000 years (walnut) but not as new looking as, say, golden oak.  I ran into a sample of this aged oak at a local store and decided to give it a try.  I hope that this gets the Vivian seal of approval  :) .

The plank set on the left has ebony stain on one side to simulate caulking, the center group has nothing and the right group has black Sharpie on one side.  I am not sure that it makes much difference.  The Sharpie was easier to control than the stain.  Pencil did not show up at all.

The piece at the bottom of the picture is the same plywood as used for the hull planks.  It matched better than I expected.

post-9182-0-99603100-1401901810_thumb.jpgpost-9182-0-14810900-1401901674_thumb.jpg 

Jack

Nothing wrong in stepping out to look at flowers or butterflys.  Nice pics.  Your model is looking good.  Have you experimented with Minwax Driftwood?  It has a kind of bleached or washed out look.  And congrats on your surprise.  You will be very happy with it.

David B

Jack, yes! It got the Vivian seal of aproval! I really liked the hue - the wood grains showed up beautifuly - And nice spring pictures :D :D :D

Hi David B,  the Driftwood is on the way, thanks for the recommendation.  I am sitting around like a kid waiting for Santa Byrnes to arrive.  I plan to spend the entire weekend making saw dust.

Thanks Vivian, I like the Aged Oak very much as well.  David B suggested Minwax Driftwood so I will test that also and put them side by side and you get to judge again.

I am happy that you both liked the images.  It was really fun to get outdoors and play before it gets really hot here.

Here are a couple of close ups of the Atlas Moth posted above.  It is a facinating insect.  They are about 9 inches wide and the wing tips really do look like snake heads.  Incredible evolutionary adaption.

post-9182-0-52242000-1401976011_thumb.jpgpost-9182-0-57956700-1401976038_thumb.jpg

Jack

I´m currently also building Oseberg and thought you might find these links to pages about the reconstructed ship interesting.

They are mostly in norwegian, but they got some good pictures of the ship and its construction

https://www.facebook.com/osebergvikingskip

http://sagaoseberg.no/

http://www.osebergvikingskip.no/index.php

-Hans Christian

Current build

-La Belle 1684 (Scracth build)

-Oseberg (Billing Boats) (On hold)

-Falmouth (Euromodel) (On hold)

Hi Jack, 

Amazing work and really fascinating!  I like the edging with the sharpie.  Christmas in June is nice!

Love your photos!  The moth is spectacular!  Photography is one of my other hobbies and I still consider myself a beginner.  I was getting very frustrated with lack of detail, until I figured out manual focus is so much better than auto focus.  I've been making notes on your exposures and settings and will play with them the next time I'm out. 

Dee Dee 

Edited by Dee_Dee

Current Build

- Glad Tidings -MS  

Completed Builds

- Dragon - Corel - One design International Class Yacht

- Sloup Coquillier / Shell Fish Sloop - Corel - Based on 'Bergere de Domremy / Shepherdess from Domremy

- Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack - Scratch build based on drawings from Chapelle's book "American Small Sailing Craft" 

On the Shelf

- Gretel-Mamoli     - Emma C. Berry-MS    - Chesapeake Bay Pilot Boat, Semi-scratch 

Find yourself hoping you never reach your destination

Glad to see your pictures, Jack. Atlas moth is really a fascinating insect and u captured it with your lens. Bring the new stain and I´ll evaluate it! :P

Hi Jack , the Stain looks great, Nice color match

Best Regards,

Pete

"may your sails be full of wind and the sun on your back"

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

N.G Herreshoff 12 1/2 Scratch Build 3/4" = 1' - 0" Scale

Completed Builds :

Volvo 65 Farr Yacht Design

Herreshoff Alerion

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

Hello Hans Christian,  Thanks for the links.  It is nice to see the reconstruction.  You should consider starting a build log so that we can follow your progress.  Thanks again.

Hi Dee-Dee, thanks for the encouragement.  Santa did arrive!  The Byrnes saw is truly incredible.  If you have any photography questions please let me know.

Hello Vivian, I hope that you are well.  Thanks for looking in.  I am setting up the stain tests on a piece of foam core so that I can keep track of the results.  I love the moth as well.  Mother nature went to all that trouble and they only live a week or so.

Hey David B,  thanks, I have had a lot more practice with photography.

Hi Pete, thanks for looking in.  I have more stain tests to come but I really like the aged oak at this point.

post-9182-0-06760500-1402066548_thumb.jpg

Jack

The first thing that I have to say is that Santa showed up at my house (he got his dates confused) and left a new saw.  The Byrne's saw is not a saw.  It is a Work of Art.  I was in the construction business for more than 40 years and around cutting devices for longer than that.  Nothing in my experience prepared me for this saw.  Things that I have struggled with (long rips for starters) are now routine.  My previous saw was an old Micro Mark/Proxxon and there is no comparison.  In case I was not clear I love this saw.

I cut the the caps for the bulkheads, bent them and glued them into place.  The curves are difficult to hold and needed some creative clamping.  The wine corks came in handy and the wine was handy too.

post-9182-0-06930900-1402260571_thumb.jpgpost-9182-0-71563800-1402260599_thumb.jpg

I ripped about half the planks and cut them to length in record time they laid in nicely.  Since it is not a good idea to use power tools when you are tired I will leave the rest of the deck planking for another day.   

post-9182-0-12910700-1402260627_thumb.jpgpost-9182-0-84950200-1402260657_thumb.jpg

Jack

The Byrnes saw is a dream come true.  However you are correct.  If you are tired do not touch or use it.

David B

Looking good Jack, Very Nice build

Best Regards,

Pete

"may your sails be full of wind and the sun on your back"

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

N.G Herreshoff 12 1/2 Scratch Build 3/4" = 1' - 0" Scale

Completed Builds :

Volvo 65 Farr Yacht Design

Herreshoff Alerion

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/