Oseberg Viking Ship by Jack P - FINISHED - Billing Boats - 1/25 Scale - 9th Century - (Modified)

Hello Cristi and Bill,

Thank you for dropping by and for the kind words, they are much appreciated.  I enjoyed visiting both your logs.

Cristi I admire your ability to work more than one project at a time.  I could never manage it.

Bill, happy that you are back in the shipyard.

I have been working on oars lately and real life has slowed my progress a little.  Thanks again for looking in.

Also, thanks to all the "Likes" they really mean a lot.

The oars is something i have not worked on in a long time, probably i will remake them. How will you construct them?

Here is the oar update, I have been working a little slower lately because a little consulting work has gotten in the way of hobby time and the Oseberg is a birthday present for the Admiral and her birthday is not until late December.  I don't want to finish it too early because then I will have to come up with another present.

The first step was to cut oak strips 2x12.5 mm.  I cut five strips and taped them together and copied the shape of the kit supplied paddle portion, then cut them into individual pieces.  Originally I intended to cut them out with a scroll saw but since there was so little material to remove I just used a 1 inch belt sander.  I cut the notch where the dowel joins the paddle with the scroll saw and filed it out to the correct size. 

post-9182-0-34081500-1410731659_thumb.jpgpost-9182-0-96029600-1410731704_thumb.jpgpost-9182-0-57061800-1410733150_thumb.jpg

For the round portion of the oar I cut 3x3 mm square dowel and routed off all four corners and got them close to round and finished them off in a drill motor with hand held sandpaper.  The routing was tricky since the dowel is so small so I rigged a feather board and guide to keep my fingers away from the blade.

post-9182-0-43217600-1410732476_thumb.jpgpost-9182-0-78204800-1410733512_thumb.jpgpost-9182-0-78221700-1410732541_thumb.jpg

Then I sanded one end flat to fit into the paddle and the other end reduced the circumference to make it into a handle.  The last step was to glue them together and finish the fine sanding.  There were a lot of steps and a LOT of sanding in this process.  30 oars stained and ready to row.

post-9182-0-43735400-1410733637_thumb.jpgpost-9182-0-87317700-1410733663_thumb.jpg

Jack

"I Love the smell of sawdust in the morning" apologies to John Melius

Current Build:      Bomb Vessel Granado, 1742 - Cross Section Scratch Build 

Previous Builds:  Oseberg Billing Boats 9th Century Viking Ship Modified

Bluenose ll, AL, Lightly Bashed

Louisa Morrison Half Hull, Scratch Build

Photography Website:     http://www.27birds.com

Gee Jack,

Even your "working shot" photos look so well composed! :)

Nice work on the oars, by the way.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Von-Kossa,

The wipe on poly that I used is oil based, but be careful, MINWAX makes a water based version and it gets very bad reviews.  Check post # 200 to see what the oil based can looks like.  The water based version comes in a plastic bottle.  The oil based type is very easy to apply.  No lap marks.

I just finished fabricating the rest of the little bits, cleats, oar racks, wood rigging pieces (I do not know what to call them) and the rudder mounting bits.  Pictures soon.  Sail making next.  I will use yours as a guide, thanks for the help.

Talk to you soon.

Jack

Hi Von-Kossa,

The wipe on poly that I used is oil based, but be careful, MINWAX makes a water based version and it gets very bad reviews.  Check post # 200 to see what the oil based can looks like.  The water based version comes in a plastic bottle.  The oil based type is very easy to apply.  No lap marks.

I just finished fabricating the rest of the little bits, cleats, oar racks, wood rigging pieces (I do not know what to call them) and the rudder mounting bits.  Pictures soon.  Sail making next.  I will use yours as a guide, thanks for the help.

Talk to you soon.

Thanks, i will look into it.

Hey Jack,

What kind of router table is that? Looks smaller than normal, bit looks like a 1/4" chuck maybe?

Oars look great! nice Jig for producing a large number of repeatable parts :)

Warm Regards,

Bill

Passion is Patience...and I am a carpenter in any scale.

Current build;  Endurance - 1:70 scale, Occre

Current build;    H.M.S. Surprise - 1796, 1:48 A L

Hi Bill,

Thanks for dropping by and the kind words.

The table is just a Dremel that I have had for many years.  It is attached to a 2x6 and the Dremel tool hangs off the edge of the bench.  The 2x6 is heavy enough to keep it in place while it is in use.  The fence is adjustable and removable.  I use it mostly for routing and sanding.  Vanda-Lay  Industries have a really nice aluminum one as well.

post-9182-0-23301300-1411585945_thumb.jpg

post-9182-0-41702700-1411585979_thumb.jpg

post-9182-0-65574900-1411586014_thumb.jpg

Jack

Hi again Bill,

I forgot to mention that the bit is a ⅛ shank with a collet, standard Dremel stuff.

Jack

Gee Jack,

Even your "working shot" photos look so well composed! :)

Nice work on the oars, by the way.

Hey Grant,

You would think that with all the effort to pose those pics I could have cleaned up the sawdust a little.

Thanks for dropping by and the kind words.

Jack

Great oars Jack.   I know many who use that able and love it.  I unfortunately due to available space.  I would set up my Foredom in it's drill press to do the same thing.  More difficult but you work with what you have.

David B 

Really wonderful model

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

Hi Brian C,

Thanks for dropping in and the birthday wish.  It was the big 70!  I don't feel any older, yeah right.  I really like your "Bismarck".

Hey David B,

Thanks for the support.  The Dremel table has been very useful.  You mentioned your Foredom.  I just recently got my hands on one and the quality improvement over other rotary tools is amazing.

Hello Cristian and Matti,

Thank you for visiting and the kind words.  I have really enjoyed the build and the build log and the support of the members here is wonderful.

Thanks to all the "likes" you are much appreciated.

Jack

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Jack,

Just checking in Jack and I must say she is a very impressive ship, your doing a superb job on her.

Nice photography as well.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

Hi Jack,

Just checking in Jack and I must say she is a very impressive ship, your doing a superb job on her.

Nice photography as well.

Be Good

mobbsie

Hi Mobbsie,

I have been working on the tiny bits and I am down to the sail and rigging.  I will spend a little quality time with my daughter today while she sews the sail for me.  Anyway, I am almost finished and will have an update soon.  

Your timing is perfect.  I noticed Grant's comment about starting a group build of the Bomb Vessel Granado cross section with you and I asked if I could join in.  If it's alright with you too I am in!  

I have been searching for my own entry into the "dark side" and this looks like a great place to start and having a couple of mates to work along with engenders confidence.  

Talk to you soon.

Jack

No worries Jack, glad to have you along.

It's going to be first for all of us so it should be a big learning curve and hopefully a lot of fun.

By the way, I also completed my Oseburg a while ago, thoroughly enjoyed building her. Like yourself I built her for the Admiral and she loves it.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

Hi Mobbsie,  Thanks for stopping by.  I am really looking forward to the next adventure.  Thanks to you and Grant for letting me play.    :cheers:

Thanks also to the "likes" they are always appreciated.

Time for a small update.  I have been working on the fiddly bits. The kit supplied parts are plywood or plastic so they needed to be cloned into a more natural material.  The cleats, blocks, spar and oar holders were all scratched from oak.

post-9182-0-79663700-1413134494_thumb.jpgpost-9182-0-99083000-1413134543_thumb.jpg

The plywood cradle was remade out of Mahogany.

post-9182-0-54153900-1413134595_thumb.jpgpost-9182-0-82025100-1413134919_thumb.jpg

The rudder is mounted loosely until I blacken the brass pin head, The cleats and oar holders are mounted.

post-9182-0-73973900-1413134668_thumb.jpgpost-9182-0-75046300-1413134720_thumb.jpgpost-9182-0-66036300-1413134746_thumb.jpgpost-9182-0-26369100-1413134788_thumb.jpg

I milled slots into bits of left over oar handle to act as keepers for the rudder suspension leather piece.  I have not completely figured out how to terminate them.  You can see them closer up in the second picture.

post-9182-0-06010900-1413134820_thumb.jpg

The paint tests are finally over.  I had some trouble finding the correct paint that would not creep under the masking tape.  My oldest daughter paints a lot of fabric and both she and the Admiral recommended a brand named Tulip.  It is the stripe on the left and the obvious choice.

post-9182-0-30133900-1413134847_thumb.jpg

The sail painting and rigging are next but I am heading to St Louis for the NRG meeting so they must wait.  

Thanks for looking.

Jack

Nice addition to the details Jack, and your painting tests seem to have turned up a winner.

Hi Brian, Grant and Vivian,

Thanks for looking in and your kind words.  Completion is really getting close.  Thanks, as always, to the "likes".

I will head out tomorrow for the Nautical Research Guild conference and hopefully soak up tons of information. 

See you when I return.

Jack

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Vivian,

I am about to start the rigging and I am not having much luck finding information.  Since you are the acknowledged "Queen of Research" and have just started your own Oseberg I was wondering if you had found any sources?  

I have figured out how to rig the sail to the yard but the halyard and it's connection to the mast and yard is still a mystery.  I have a little information about a 13th century Viking ship but rigging info for the 9th century Oseberg is thin.  I thought about making a simulated iron collar with eyebolts for the mast.  I could also put an eyebolt through the mast.

Any help from the group will be greatly appreciated.   :unsure:  Thanks for the help.

Jack

Jack, till now all rigging I´ve read about comes from reconstructions. So, here is something from the Saga Oseberg:

http://www.osebergvikingskip.no/eng/documents/news.php?entry_id=1345642081

Here is a pdf file with a should be rigging plan Osprey - New Vanguard 047 - Viking Longship.pdf

(it´s on page 19)

Maybe you´ve already found that ones, but, since I´m reading through the history behind the two women found with the ship, I´m still low on researching :P :P

Edited by Vivian Galad

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Vivian,

Thanks for the help.  That is a very useful book.

Thanks, as always, to the likes, you are much appreciated.

Jack

Von_Kossa, Fam, Vivian Galad and Mobbsie all helped greatly with the rigging research.  Thanks to all.  The bottom line is that it is mostly guesswork as very little historical data exists.  Von_Kossa sent a link that he got from the museum in Oslo which showed a sheave at the top of the mast.  Since my new lathe had just arrived I thought it was a great opportunity to practice.

post-9182-0-39643000-1415565147_thumb.jpeg

I got so excited about playing with my new toy that I forgot to take pictures.  I used a dowel that I had laying around to turn a tube and placed it over the top of the mast.  The picture below shows the stub of the tube and the tube itself on the mast.

post-9182-0-93353800-1415565214_thumb.jpg

The tube and mast was then slotted and I cut a wafer off a different dowel and used it as the wheel.  A piece of black annealed wire was used as the pin.

post-9182-0-85561800-1415565255_thumb.jpg

I painted the sail using 3M blue masking tape and the Tulip fabric paint mentioned earlier.  I was amazed that the first attempt was a keeper.  The next step was to sew the rope all the way around the sail.  

post-9182-0-84480300-1415565308_thumb.jpg

post-9182-0-60916100-1415565332_thumb.jpg

One of the reasons that I chose the Oseberg is that it has only one sail and minimal rigging.  It is a chore to me.  I tried to get my daughter to sew the rope but her timetable was much longer than I was willing to wait so I had to do it myself.  None the less, all of the rope used is  from Chuck Passaro"s Syren Ship Model Company.  It is beautiful stuff, I have never seen anything like it.  Chuck did a demonstration at the NRG conference to teach us to make our own rope.  It had the opposite effect on me.  I never, ever want to do make rope myself.

post-9182-0-31617800-1415565367_thumb.jpg

post-9182-0-84709900-1415565403_thumb.jpg

post-9182-0-85806900-1415565430_thumb.jpg

post-9182-0-19588100-1415565483_thumb.jpg

post-9182-0-81179300-1415565504_thumb.jpg

post-9182-0-29523100-1415567694_thumb.jpg

Here is the current status.  Rigging is underway.  

post-9182-0-92390100-1415565536_thumb.jpg

Jack

Hi Lou and Grant,

Thank you both for the very kind words.  Thanks also to the "Likes".  Much Appreciated.

I am working on the final post now!!!!! 

Jack

Well, she is complete in plenty of time for the Admiral's birthday.  The Admiral is happy and as we all know when the Admiral is happy everyone is happy.   :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:

The build was 9 months of fun and learning.  Completion is very rewarding.

I would like to thank everyone who helped with the build especially Von_Kossa.  His log is what inspired me to build the Oseberg in the first place and his research kept me on the right track.   Also, thanks to Vivian Galad (we are watching your Oseberg) and all those who followed the build, your encouragement was necessary and wonderful.

I probably would not be involved in this hobby at all without the MSW community.  There was not much information out there the first time I tried years ago.  Now, whatever you need just ask.  Thanks for the help.

post-9182-0-35456100-1416163011_thumb.jpgpost-9182-0-05809600-1416163043_thumb.jpgpost-9182-0-78752000-1416163094_thumb.jpgpost-9182-0-13542500-1416163149_thumb.jpgpost-9182-0-02853200-1416163171_thumb.jpgpost-9182-0-32851800-1416163203_thumb.jpgpost-9182-0-45596000-1416163230_thumb.jpgpost-9182-0-02074200-1416163257_thumb.jpgpost-9182-0-02903000-1416163296_thumb.jpgpost-9182-0-50687600-1416163322_thumb.jpgpost-9182-0-41151200-1416163342_thumb.jpg

Time to move forward.  I will now attempt to catch up with Grant and Mobbsie with our first shot at the dark side "Bomb Vessel Granado 1742".

Jack