Oseberg Viking Ship by Jack P - FINISHED - Billing Boats - 1/25 Scale - 9th Century - (Modified)

wonderful Jack !

a lovely boat and also superb taken Pictures......

congrats to this beautiful build

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Congratulations Jack on a truly superb build. Your Admiral should be one very happy lady!

Now, celebrate completion with an adult beverage of your choice, and then (after an appropriate pause) get cracking on your Bomb Vessel Cross-section. Any update on your timber order from Jeff, or is it still first week of December anticipated delivery? I would recommend doing a few trial runs of both keel and frames with some scrap wood while you wait!

Edited by gjdale

The woodwork is absolutely breathtaking! I cant stop looking at it- great job!

Current build: Syren : Kit- Model Shipways

Side project: HMS Bounty - Revel -(plastic)

On hold: Pre-owned, unfinished Mayflower (wood)

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

First rate job Jack, Congratulations!

Jim L

What we ever hope to do with ease, we must learn first to do with diligence. - Samuel Johnson

On the Building Ways:                           Launched:                                                 Contracts Signed:                    Member:

The Nautical Research Guild

The US Naval Institute

Jack, you have done a great job,  Wee will have to play the ring trilogy by Wagner for the launching ceremony.  I hope you like opera.

David B

Beautifully built, Jack.  I hope it gets a place of honor in your home.

I'm looking forward to seeing you on the Darkside.  I'm sure you'll do every bit as well.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

g'day jack, what a fabulous job you have done on her! truly magnificent build. i have this kit on the shelf but unfortunately mine is a bit old and has lots of plastic (which billings was famous for back in the day). the scroll work is all plastic as are the shields etc. anyway i will get to it sooner or later but viewing your masterpiece it maybe sooner  :)

cheers chris

Wow Wow Wow , this is an amazing Job! absolutely beautiful!

The Lord has truly blessed you with an eye for detail. 

In His dust Rev KB

"Smooth seas make for poor sailors"

"Hebrews 6:19  Which hope we have as an anchor of the soul, both sure and steadfast..." 

In His Dust RevKB

RattleSnake Build 

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/8288-rattlesnakecormorant-by-revkb-1780-1786/?p=246048

Congrats on her completion Jack, she looks absolutely stunning. Your Admiral has to be one happy lady right now. :im Not Worthy:  :champagne-popping-smiley-emotic

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

Jack,

Your log has been a very good read. Thank you.

This model has now been placed on my "must do" list partly at my ancestors insistence!. I just hope there is enough time left for this, and all the others, before my exit date! 

Mike.

Previous Build: LA gun deck cross section.
Previous Build: Lancia Armata. Panart 1:16
Previous Build: HMS Pickle. Jotika Build.

HMS Triton cross section 1:32.

Shelved awaiting improved skills:

Chuck"s Cheerful.

Current build.

Tender Avos.

HM cutter Alert.

:

U rlly did it, Jack. Fantastic model, great shots - a masterful combination! Museum quality model to expose - u´ve gotta be proud of her (and your dedication and workmanship ^_^ ^_^ ). Thank u for sharing all steps to get in here - I enjoyed very much following your build log.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello my friends.

Sorry to be so late to respond.  I have been in the hospital for 2 weeks and only today have I been able to sit up.  I am getting better every day and will responded in more detail in a few days.

In the mean time thank you for all the kind words and "likes".

Jack

"I Love the smell of sawdust in the morning" apologies to John Melius

Current Build:      Bomb Vessel Granado, 1742 - Cross Section Scratch Build 

Previous Builds:  Oseberg Billing Boats 9th Century Viking Ship Modified

Bluenose ll, AL, Lightly Bashed

Louisa Morrison Half Hull, Scratch Build

Photography Website:     http://www.27birds.com

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi Nils, Brian, Grant, JesseLee, Jim L, David B, Mark, Chris, RevKB, Thomas, mobbsie, Mike, Matti, Vivian, Steve KibblesnBits and Joe.

I wanted to officially thank everyone for the very kind words regarding the Oseberg.  I am sorry to be so late responding but I had a fairly major health issue that took me a couple of months to recover from.  (Some of you already know that)  I only just started back in the shipyard after 2 months.  I am fully recovered now and am having a lot of fun getting started on the Bomb Vessel cross section.  The "Darkside" beckons. 

Thanks again and thanks to all the "Likes" as well.

Jack

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Jack, she is excellent. I like the pictures, and also the ageing of the ship

Current build : Sovereign of the Seas - Mantua 1:78 scale

Finished:        San John the Baptist - Cross section

Santisima Trinidad - Cross section                  Galery Santisima 

San John the Baptist ( San Juan Bautista)    Galery  San John

HMS Victory 1805 - Cross section - Corel 1:98 scale 

Panart (Mantua) 740 Battle Station          Battle Station Panart 740 Galerry

On Hold:        HMS Bounty 1:64   Mamoli MV39

• 1 year later...

I too am just starting to build the Oseberg 720 from Billing Boats, my first wooden ship from a kit.  I got interested because of a study I did on 8th-11th Century vessel construction. But I find myself on Page 1 of the instructions a bit mystified.  Figure 1 shows the assembly of the keel, and bow and stern structures--all straightforward. But inset into the instructions are two small drawings that seem to indicate splitting or otherwise cutting the bow pieces, and for the life of me I cannot figure out what I am supposed to do, especially since throughout the rest of the instructions the parts indicated seem to be fully intact. I have contacted Billing Boats and gotten no reply.

A scan of the instruction step is attached. The small drawings are the circles.

Many thanks for your help.

post-26190-0-25953300-1474122496_thumb.png

Edited by ausura

• 1 month later...

Hi Ausura,

Sorry to be so late with my reply.  I have not been checking in as frequently as I should.  This is probably too late to be of any help but here it is anyway.

I ran into the same problem.  The bow pieces taper both toward the top and front.  I use a scalpel and sandpaper.  I could not photograph it for you because I covered all the end faces with veneer.  Pages 2,3 & 4 of my log may be of some help and be sure to check out "Oseberg ship by Von_Kossa - Billing Boats - Scale 1:25, 800 A.D (First wooden ship build)".  It was a great help to me when I started.

I also split the back off the scroll work as it got closer to the top so that it would lay flat, look at the finished head on picture (page 13) and you will see that the bow tapers from about ¼ inch to ⅛ at the top of the scroll.

Good luck with your build and please let me know if I can help.  I promise to pay more attention.

Jack

• 4 months later...

Jack,

I had been "silently" following your build. Great work indeed. Looks brilliant.

And after "binging" over the last couple of months catching up on History Channel's four seasons of Vikings (Amazon Prime has it) became so interested in Viking ships. 

So ordered the Billings - and will refer to your great log as well.

PS: Vikings has been renewed for two more seasons (5-6)

Cheers,

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

Such a lovely build! It sure does bring me some memories! It was my first wooden kit I built with my father when I was still in school. Though nothing was laser cut back then so the old man cut everything out on the band saw for me haha. I remember saving my pocket money to get my hands on this as I was only 13. It started my own fascination with model building after watching my father build while I was growing up. As soon as I finished this model we went back to the hobby shop and I put Billings Vasa on lay by and the rest is history 😊 

Anton T

Current build

1/78 Sovereign of the Seas - Sergal - kit bashed

1/72 Arleigh Burke class DDG flight iia/iii - Sratch built RC - no log

Waiting for further inspiration

STS Leeuwin II 1/56 scratch built (90% completed)

Previous builds - completed

1/72 HMAS Brisbane, Airwarfare Destroyer 2014 -Scratch built RC - completed

1/64 HMS Diana 1796 - caldercraft kit - completed

1/75 Friesland 1668- mamoli kit - completed

1/96 HMAS Newcastle FFG 2011- scratch built RC - completed

1/75 Vasa - Billing Boats - completed

• 4 months later...

Hello Jack, a beautiful rendition of the Oseberg you have created. I am waiting for one, should be here tomorrow. Your build log along with Von_Kossa's will be invaluable. 

As I would you seemed to struggle with stains. My plan of attack is to use Pine tar and linseed oil as the original builders used. We'll see what it looks like and the drying times. Love all the bits you made. I did the same with the Fair American I made quite a few years ago. Anyway thanks for the build log and fantastic pictures.

• 6 months later...
I want to thank you Jack, I followed your post to make my Oseberg of Billing boats, and although I will not have a thousandth part of good that you, has served as a guide to move forward in its assembly. Thank you.

Best regards

Ángel
Edited by Angelwr

• 6 months later...

This is a brilliant project, and so well-documented that I think I feel up to trying a similar project. One thing I noticed is that in the end, you didn't really use that many of the original pieces of the kit, or else covered up the ones you did use with walnut veneer. Except perhaps for the hull itself. It emboldens me to try scratchbuilding a version of this model. My goal is to do a waterline model, probably something in the neighborhood of 1/50 scale, suitable for use with 25-28mm figures. I've just been painting up a mob of Foundry vikings, and the urge to make them a proper ship is overwhelming. I have a plastic Revell kit of a Viking ship (I know, plastic, how pedestrian!) but I think between that, some of the cross sectional drawing cadged from the internet and your excellent step-by-step demonstration, this project might just be doable, even for a novice boatbuilder like me. Thanks so much, Jack, for the inspiration!

So far, the closest I've come to this awesome project has been a scratchbuilt half-timbered house, again for 25-28mm figures.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Phil,

Thanks for the complements.  I started out with the kit and as my confidence grew I started thinking I could do better.  I used the other Oseberg builds (especially Von Kossa's) to help me through.  I really enjoyed the build and got a great deal of satisfaction from building the scratch portions.  The support and the advice from this forum and the wonderful folks on it was great.   Good luck on yours.  Maybe one day I will add deck furniture and people to the Admiral's Oseberg.

Thanks again,

Jack

Jack