Gunboat PHILADELPHIA by Chuck Seiler - Scale 1:48 1776 Scratch from MS Plans

I have another query for the gallery.  The mast for PHILADELPHIA was white pine.  If you look at the picture in thread #59, it appears they got a nice straight pine tree, stripped off the branches and smoothed it off.  What are your thoughts on making the mast with the bumps/imperfections as opposed to perfectly round?

Chuck Seiler
San Diego Ship Modelers Guild
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

Thanks Dave.

Chuck Seiler
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

Chuck
You can always try out the look of the "bumpy" mast and if you don't like it make it round and smooth.  The problem that I see is that it might look to observers that you just did a poor job of the mast as it might not look as good at scale as it does full size.  But, you are building the model for yourself not the observer who might not appreciate the authenticity of the bumpy mast.  Share your efforts on this as you are ahead of me on the build and I am curious as to how it will look to scale.

Take care,

Kurt

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

Thanks Kurt,

My intent is to enter it into the "Design in Wood" exhibit at the County Fair in June. I don't plan on winning anything, but I wanted to get it out in public. That may be a factor. Perhaps I will make 2 masts...

Chuck Seiler
Nautical Research Guild

Chuck,

The Spray had natural masts also.  I cut some 3/8” diameter twigs from a nearby tree, removed the bark, and let them dry. 

Check out the Spray in my signature and see what you think.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

I think it's a great idea Chuck.  After looking at Bob's Spray, I say "Go For It"!

Bob R.

San Diego Ship Modelers' Guild
Nautical Research Guild

USS Constitution Ship Modelers Guild

USS Constitution - Model Shipways - 1:76 scale.

18th Century Longboat - Model Shipways - 1:48 scale

Higaki Kaisen - Woody Joe - 1:72 scale

Chuck I agree with the above.  The Philly was built fast and cheap.  It would not have the finishing touches a normal vessel would have.

David B

Edited by dgbot

Egad!!!!!   I need to get a-postin' before I slip to page 3.

post-1153-0-37985700-1396808695_thumb.jpg

Here are some shots of last week's work.  We don't need no stinkin' fancy-pants gudgeons!!!!  Just slap on some robust eyebolts....honest.  As indicated in previous posts, they could get away with a lot of things that could not if they planned on the ship being around awhile.

post-1153-0-27328000-1396808696_thumb.jpg

The rudder (AKA the bard door) is hung.  The tiller has not been added yet.  It will eventually stained the same color as the exterior hull.  The two 1"thickbattens were only on the starboard side.  They were nailed on to the rudder boards and helped hold it together.  The nail were supposed to be less obvious, but the stain enhanced them.

You will be hearing more about the hole in the top later.

Chuck Seiler
Nautical Research Guild

One thought on the mast. It may be that the knots were not so visible when made. After being submerged for 200 years, the wood cells swell being waterlogged. Once the wood is exposed to air, the cells of the softer wood collapse, leaving the harder knots more prominent than they would have been when the mast was new. The knots may have been noticeable due to color differences, but probably not as prominent physically as they are now.

Larry Davis

That is true but you have to take in scale as well.  Any knots or imperfectins would have to be pretty small.  If prominent they would would not have been wroth anything.

David B

Larry,

What you say may be true.  Looking at various pics of the actual PHILLY, I see it is pretty rough all over.  Not sure how smooth it was to begin with.  I have no good shots of the whole mast.  The one in post #59 and I have one more with a view slightly higher up.  Those bumps/knots are definitely prominent.  How noticable would they have been 200 years ago?  Who knows.  I am going with the smooth mast for the Fair presentation.  It gives mew time to think about it.

Edited by Chuck Seiler

Chuck Seiler
Nautical Research Guild

Progress continues.  I need to post n order to avoid slipping to page 3.

This weekend I am working on cats and dogs details, such as mounting eyebolts, bolting in the swivel gun brackets...and stuff.  I am also working on the mast and yards.

post-1153-0-09137100-1397334406_thumb.jpg

Last week I got most of the wood work finished for the mast and yards.  I am holding off on the knotty look for now.  Mainmast, topmast and both yards started off as square stock and were turned down in my highly sophisticated lathe...the main was chucked on the ol' Craftsman drill, while everything else went into the Dremel. 

The main was roughly octogonalized.  This allowed me to drill the holes for the cleats before I rounded it off.

post-1153-0-86235600-1397334406_thumb.jpg

Similarly, I drilled holes into the center of the yards.  This helped me keep symmetry and I will be using the holes later.

Chuck Seiler
Nautical Research Guild

post-1153-0-77172100-1397419207_thumb.jpg

Mast and yards stained and ready to assemble.

post-1153-0-61565000-1397419208_thumb.jpg

Cross tree.  Nothing fancy...gets the job done.

post-1153-0-39951200-1397419209_thumb.jpg

Now I show you what the holes are for.  I put a peg in the yard and attach it to the mast. (see arrow).  No need for glue.  This holds it in place while the rope bridle is more for show. 

post-1153-0-93162600-1397419209_thumb.jpg

I was taking pics outside on the patio.  It was a bit overcast, but lighting as good.  As I was ready to shoot this, the sun broke thru and put a kibosh on the lighting.

Mast assembled.  Except for the crosstree, nothing will be glued and can be disassembled in the future.

Chuck Seiler
Nautical Research Guild

Crap...I didn't know there would be a test.

I was experimenting with a couple colors, so I am not entirely sure but mostly sure.  Crosstrees are cherry (two coats).  Yards=1 coat of golden oak then one coat of 'natural'.  Masts=either 2 coats of golden pecan and 1 of natural, or 3 coasts of golden pecan.

Chuck Seiler
Nautical Research Guild

Progress continues.

post-1153-0-02516600-1398565800_thumb.jpg

The catheads (more like cat whiskers) installed.  The bow area s very busy, and it all has to be resolved before the mast is installed.

The first thing that has to be done is the installation of the shroud spreader.  This attaches to the eyebolt at the base of the stempiece, at the forward end of the gunslide.  I will pull the eyebolt, attach the spreader and re-install.  The purpose of the spreader is to allow the mainstay to be mounted to the stem piece without blocking the forward gun.

Next, the forward 12 pounder has to be installed.  This includes a number of blocks and eyebolts.

post-1153-0-88152600-1398565800_thumb.jpg

The after deck railing is installed.  Whose bright idea is this?  Any wagers as to how long before I snap this thing off? 

post-1153-0-35946900-1398565801_thumb.jpg

Mast support bracket.  I was concerned that I would have problems twisting the brass the 90 degrees on each side in order to secure it to the mast support beam.  No trouble.  I annealed the snot out of it (certified snot free brass) and it twisted very easily.  A side benefit seems to be that snot free brass is also blackened, so I don't have to use blacken-it.

The mast goes up tomorrow.  Huzzah!!!

Chuck Seiler
Nautical Research Guild

Hi Chuck,

I noticed you guys are using the new aluminum cannonballs. Do they give you a greater range than the standard black iron balls?

Nice job on the mast support bracket I have had trouble bending brass before and wasn’t smart enough to anneal it. LOL

Mike

David,

Take the ol' mini torch to the brass until it gets red hot.  Quench it.  Repeat.

Mike,

Those are actually lead from an old shotgun shell. I guess I should have painted them, eh?

Chuck Seiler
Nautical Research Guild

post-1153-0-93975600-1398746933_thumb.jpg

Bow gun and fore stay spreader mounted.

Chuck Seiler
Nautical Research Guild

Mike,

It is. I got them from LUMBERYARD. The blackening ears off if you handle the guns, but I decided not to paint or otherwise re-blacken because I thought it gave the guns an interesting look. It goes well with the rustic motif. What do you think?

Chuck Seiler
Nautical Research Guild

I'm about to demolish that myth.

Chuck Seiler
Nautical Research Guild

Behold!  A Masterpiece!

post-1153-0-52555300-1399073458_thumb.jpg

NOT!!!!!  :angry:

Here is what Philly will kinda look like when complete.  As mentioned before, I am trying to get her ready for entry into the County Fair in June.  Entry (with pics) were due today.  Hopefully the guys that build tables and guitars won't look too closely.  The goal was to get it to where it looked reasonably like a completed model.

I got to the shrouds and found that I had made them too short.  They did not stretch as much as I had anticipated.  Good news is that I get to redo the seizings on the shrouds, which I did not like.  I also got to get a better look at the lay of the lines  I determined that I WILL have to glue on the yards, but will be able to remove them at some future date if need be. 

Philly is already stripped back down to basic infrastructure and construction will begin again in earnest on the morrow.

post-1153-0-39350000-1399073459_thumb.jpg

Captain Benjamin Rue inspects the rigging job.  "I have morons on my team!!!!"

Chuck Seiler
Nautical Research Guild

David,

Thanks, I appreciate the compliment.  Evenon it's best day, though, PHILLY will be hard pressed to beat some of the very fine models that are normally entered.  I am happy just to participate and have thousands of people see it.

Chuck Seiler
Nautical Research Guild