Gunboat PHILADELPHIA by Chuck Seiler - Scale 1:48 1776 Scratch from MS Plans

...although I suspect I will do well in the "Rowboat with 2 or more big-assed guns" category.

Chuck Seiler
San Diego Ship Modelers Guild
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

• 2 weeks later...

I flew some Sailors in to square away the lubberly rigging.  Here is where I am as of now.

post-1153-0-02431200-1400218800_thumb.jpg

The swabbies thought the ladder rungs, in lieu of ratlines, were cute, so they left them on.  Once I get the starboard gun installed, the rigging will go very fast.  Once that is done, the forward railings and awning structure...as well as cats and dogs like anchors, rope coils, sweeps, etc. 

I had taken several pics during our Guild meeting Wednesday, but all except this ended up being out of focus.  More pics this weekend...if I can see thru the smoke and ash.

Chuck Seiler
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

...hopefully without boney kneed malingerers hosing up the shot.  Too bad they don't make cameras with view finders and such, eh.

Chuck Seiler
Nautical Research Guild

• 2 weeks later...

Later that same night...... :rolleyes:

post-1153-0-57490500-1401124851_thumb.jpg

post-1153-0-61612500-1401124873_thumb.jpg

I thought I would post these, but later decided not to because I would have more up to date pics.  <not>  The build goes on at a fast pace, but the photgrapher appears to be on vacation.  I hope to have some pictures later today

if, for nothng else, to keep me off page 4.

What started as a simple build has become quite cluttered.  Alot of knots and alot of rope coils (non perfect version).  While I am pressed for time, I need to remember to let the glue dry before moving on. 

Critical at this point isto remember to perspective of the rig.  How would that block be rigged and how would that belaying pin be tied off by people ON the ship, not what is easy for a modeler OUTSIDE the ship.  Thankfully I have a good supply of tweezers, forceps and mini alligator clamps.   Film at 11.

Chuck Seiler
Nautical Research Guild

I grow weary of rope coils.  :(

post-1153-0-13974900-1401146365_thumb.jpg

Progress as of today.  All the shrouds and stays are in place.  Forward railings have been installed.  Anchors installed and 'housed'.  At this point not much going on aft of the starboard 9 pounder.  Alot of rigging (for this model) andassociated rope coils.

As I mentioned earlier (either here or elsewhere) as I was grappling with the crowded confines of the area below the mast,I realized I needed to rig the blocks, etc from the perspective of the folks on the ship,as opposed to the way it would be easier to do.  I managed to snag existing rigging and rope coils on several occasons, but with minimal damage.

post-1153-0-31230000-1401146401_thumb.jpg

A gander at the opertion from the port side.  Note: The stock on the anchor is nailed together (simulated).

post-1153-0-72432700-1401146417_thumb.jpg

Stairway to heaven...or at least to the topmast.  When I was working on this, I mentioned to several fellow modelers that I was attaching the rungs to the shrouds.  They felt compelled to correct me, "You mean ratlines?"  "No, I mean rungs."  This was only on oneside, for some reason.  Perhaps they got as tired as I did working on it and gave up.

post-1153-0-66065000-1401146426_thumb.jpg

Another view of the fore deck area.  More rope coils.  Anchor cable not so neatly coiled up on deck for folks to trip over.

Chuck Seiler
Nautical Research Guild

post-1153-0-07856600-1401147496_thumb.jpg

Coil making jig.  It wasn't so much the making of the coils, it was placing them that gave me problems.  I think the resulting fiturative knots were way too big, but otherwise theywould have come undone...evenwith a soaking of diluted white glue.  I will puruse the forum for better examples of doing this next time. 

Fortunately, this is a pretty simple rig.  I can ony imagine a square rigger.

Chuck Seiler
Nautical Research Guild

Over the years I have colleceted differnt sizes of tweazers and dental picks and I have found this invaluable when rigging. A bit of swearing helps to release the tension.

David B

Edited by dgbot

I see the gunboats as the PT boats of their day.  And I doubt they were always kept in "inspection" condition.  Good rigging.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Thanks Bob,

In this case I doubt that it was EVER inspection ready.  ...manned by soldiers who, a year before, were farmers, in the middle of nowhere.

Chuck Seiler
Nautical Research Guild

I have seen a few Phillies at Manitowoc.  One of them a guy who was obsessed with that era.  With the back ground and other historical documents he brought he showed why he left his model unfinished in several areas.  This was to scale of course but he was trying to build it as it was.  This model looked like the real thing rough built in a hurry and not by hightly english trained shipwrights.  It was purpose built.  I think you have nothing to be ashemed of.

David B

Was that Dave Yotter from the SMA?  He has been building since....let's put it this way, it was going to be the 'admiralty model' used by General Arnold to show the workmen what he wanted built.  I forget the exact scale, but it is 3 times my Philly, so, about 1/16 scale?  He even cast his own cannons.  He is using the plans from the Smithsonian.

Its an interesting build with surprisingly alot of documentation.

Chuck Seiler
Nautical Research Guild

No I am afraid not.  Though I wish he would attend.  But it is a little too far and the wrong time of year.  This gentleman was from upper New York.

David B

Edited by dgbot

post-1153-0-14255600-1401332345_thumb.jpg

The awning structure-in progress.

post-1153-0-25418100-1401332353_thumb.jpg

We have steering!!!!!  The rudder still needs a little refinement, but it is functional.

Chuck Seiler
Nautical Research Guild

I don't travel much.

Chuck Seiler
Nautical Research Guild

Wee hours of the Morning, Thursday 29 May.  'Tis mere hours before I have to deliver the model to the County Fairgrounds.  All nighters are not as easy as they used to be.

post-1153-0-19712700-1401674755_thumb.jpg

Work on the awning structure is pretty much as complete as it is going to get.  I still need to add the rolled up awning, sweep rack and sweeps, but that will have to wait until the Fair is over.

post-1153-0-70363400-1401674762_thumb.jpg

Rigging is complete! Hoist the ensign and we sail into battle!!!  :cheers:

<poop> No sail.  We row into battle :angry:

<poop>  No sweeps.  We get towed into battle...Call AAA:pirate41:

post-1153-0-32341100-1401674779_thumb.jpg

This page will be on hiatus until after July 4th, when I get PHILLY back.  I will complete the model and get pics posted.

My intent was to get a good set of shots prior to taking the model to the Fairgrounds from work....but I forgot my camera.

Chuck Seiler
Nautical Research Guild

Philly at the Fair.

post-1153-0-59704400-1402248270_thumb.jpg

I got some horrendous "blooms" from reflection.  Sunday (when I am back at the Fair) I will see If I can remove the case and get some shots.  Meanwhile, I tried to blot out the worst of them.

post-1153-0-09716900-1402248281_thumb.jpg

I managed to eek out an honourable mention.

Chuck Seiler
Nautical Research Guild

They are as blind as a bat.  Your model deserves a gold Chuck, bring it to Manitowoc next year if you can make the trip.

Chuck, let me say first that you are the most "entertaining" poster I've seen yet on this site.  Haven't been here long, but love reading your posts.

If you install the Chrome browser (it's free and doesn't conflict with ANYTHING windows) you can view that link that was listed earlier without issue (no account needed).  I just clicked on the link and it opened for me.  Chrome is MUCH more internet friendly than anything else I've ever used. 

Previous build(mostly) - 18th Century Longboat

Current build - Bounty Launch

Next build - San Francisco by AL

Future build - Red Dragon

Future build - Mayflower from Model Expo

Honorable mention????  What????   David is right, they are all blind bats... and idiot ones at that.  Sheeeeshhh.....

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Pops, I now use Firefox as my browser and I have subsequently visited the site.  I learned alot.  Thanks for the complements.

Mark,  In fairness to the judge (who is the former curator of models at the San Diego Maritime Museum), it is a woodworking competition rather than a model competition.  Scale models happens to be the category we were competing in.  I will know more when I review the 'judges notes' next Sunday. 

Chuck Seiler
Nautical Research Guild

Hi Chuck:

Browsing build logs picking up valuable tips and enjoying the many beautiful builds such as your gunboat. Love the realism you manage to achieve with your rope work.... Truly artistic! You sir, are a very fine craftsman. Thanks for sharing your work.

Dave

Sawdust Dave -

Current build - USS Constitution 1:60th (scratch)....

Visit my blog site - All previous builds.... http://davesmodelships.blogspot.com

Dave,

My pleasure.

Hey, I remember Lumberton.  I passed thru there driving between Jacksonville and Philly alot, before the interstate went in.

Chuck Seiler
Nautical Research Guild

Mark,

Additionally, At least two of the winners have posted those builds here on this site...so they are not shabby modelers either.

Chuck Seiler
Nautical Research Guild

Hey Chuck... I'm being supportive instead of my real grumpy self.  :D  :D

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)