Hi all .I just bought a billings Victory 1:75 and hope to start building in the next few weeks  The timber provided is satisfactory for a painted model but as i intend to try the natural wood finish i need to replace all but the first planking. As infomation provided is a bit vague to say the least im wondering what width of wood to order.They sent 4 mm for the decking which i assume would be about right width but its ANNEGRE and in my opinion to dark .  The second hull planking is 1.8 x 7mm OBECHI and i think too wide and not a suitable for second planking. Would 4mm be more the size for this scale??? I want to use wood whicw is readily available ( from CMB ) and have been considering  MANZONI or BOKAPI for the hull and LIME or MUKALY for the decks .I havent used any of these before but the samples i ordered look very good .If anyone has experience of these as regards varnishing etc i would be very interested.thanks  

Hello Shihawk.

On the full size ship according to The Anatony of The Ship. Page 50

"Planking was put on in as long lengths as possible-- or rather, obtainable.

The Width was usually 12 in. And the thickness of the bottom plank in first -rate ships was 5 or 6 in."

I will leave the calculations to u.

Regards Antony

Best advice ever given to me."If you don't know ..Just ask.

Completed Mayflower

Completed Fun build Tail boat Tailboat

Completed Build Chinese Junk Chinese Pirate Junk

Completed scratch built Korean Turtle ship 1/32 Turtle ship

Completed Santa Lucia Sicilian Cargo Boat 1/30 scale Santa Lucia

On hold. Bounty Occre 1/45

Completed HMS Victory by DeAgostini modelspace. DeAgostini Victory Cross Section

Completed H.M.S. Victory X section by Coral. HMS Victory cross section

Completed The Black Pearl fun build Black Queen

Completed A large scale Victory cross section 1/36 Victory Cross Section

Hi.

Another reference from The construction and fitting of the sailing man of war 1650-1850

"The bottom planking,

This was generally wrought oak, to a width of between 9in and 12in."

Regards Antony.

Best advice ever given to me."If you don't know ..Just ask.

Completed Mayflower

Completed Fun build Tail boat Tailboat

Completed Build Chinese Junk Chinese Pirate Junk

Completed scratch built Korean Turtle ship 1/32 Turtle ship

Completed Santa Lucia Sicilian Cargo Boat 1/30 scale Santa Lucia

On hold. Bounty Occre 1/45

Completed HMS Victory by DeAgostini modelspace. DeAgostini Victory Cross Section

Completed H.M.S. Victory X section by Coral. HMS Victory cross section

Completed The Black Pearl fun build Black Queen

Completed A large scale Victory cross section 1/36 Victory Cross Section

by bottom plank i assume you nean the first planking  .I need to use this OBECHI for something and apparently its next to BALSA.Im thinking that maybe you mill your own wood ,have you used any of ones mentioned in wy first post,LIME is the only one i have even heard of ???.Cheers

Deck planking was usually a bit narrower - at 1/75 you'd be more looking at 3mm.  Most people use holly or another species of silver/grey wood for decking. 

Colin

--

Current Builds: HMS Pandora 1/64 Scratch

Jeannie Johnston;

18thC Longboat with my son

Previous Builds: HMB Bounty - Caldercraft

Running Round my head: HMS Speedy (1782) - vaguely thinking POF

"If at first you don't succeed, try it your wifes' way"

tks clloyd   just finished a 1:64 and it had 4mm so was thinking i might need to drop 1mm  .had been thinking on lime for decking as i intend trying my hand at joggling and can get it in a number of different widths . have dicovered that CONSTRUCTO  supply some of the above  mentioned woods with their kits  . am at present making up samples of the different woods and varnishing to see which look best together 

• 2 weeks later...

getting to the stage where i need more wood , have changed my mind  daily but am now wondering if 0.5 cherry would be suitable for second planking of hull . would prefere 1mm but 0.5 is readily available at reasonable price but am afraid at this thickness i will have limited room for sanding  .Just wondered if anyone has used this thickness for hull planking and is it easier to bend ???? 

Cherry is a great choice for planking it holds an edge and is easy to work with.  It looks great finished or stained or oiled. 

David B