What is the staple bolt for ?

captainbob

I believe this is a rigging question.  In the drawing below, on the rail, just behind where the deadeyes for the fore mast will be there is a staple bolt and an eyebolt.  I don’t find them in the rigging information or pictures.  They are also on the Bluenose plans but no mention of their use.  Again they are only at the fore mast, not the main mast.  What are these for?

Bob

post-513-0-91915000-1393127194_thumb.jpg

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

New Bedford Whaleboat build. Kit by Model Shipways

I've been making progress on my model and according to the instruction booklet I should be painting it, at least parts of it.

Are acrylic's ok ? I did apply a sanding sealer. but I want to stain the untreated floor boards which are walnut.

Thanks

S.O.S.

Bob:

The only reference I could find was in Chapelle's field notes in American Fishing Schooners. On page 625 there is a note as part of the stanchion and rail fittings for the schooner Philip P. Manta. It says, "Staple in plate on bow chock for foreboom tackle pendant, also for seine boat towing boom."

He also mentions a staple in the chockrail for the schooner Rhodora.

On page 627, he gives a very detailed drawing of a staple bolt, saying the "staple goes through monkey rail, and bridge block, aft of fore rigging. Plate let in flush with top of monkey rail cap. Large staple like this on underside of pole bowsprit for bobstay, (inner)."

All of the placements for the staple on the rails are either down through one of the forward stanchions or very nearly so.

Russ

Thanks, S.os, the Schooner Bertha L. Downs would also make a fine model.  There’s a lot of nice detail in that book.

Russ, I have to agree with Chapelle’s statement just before where you quoted, where he says, “Purposes of some fittings could be understood only if vessels could have been fully rigged and fitted.” At least it seems that the staple had nothing to do with the sails.  So I will install it and leave it empty.

Bob

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

Bob, maybe it had something to do with getting the dories over the side. Check out this video.

S.os

New Bedford Whaleboat build. Kit by Model Shipways

I've been making progress on my model and according to the instruction booklet I should be painting it, at least parts of it.

Are acrylic's ok ? I did apply a sanding sealer. but I want to stain the untreated floor boards which are walnut.

Thanks

S.O.S.

Hi Bob.

Have a read through this article. http://hnsa.org/doc/luce/part4.htm

This is page 4. And you can access all the pages.

A lot of interesting reading.

Regards Antony.

Best advice ever given to me."If you don't know ..Just ask.

Completed Mayflower

Completed Fun build Tail boat Tailboat

Completed Build Chinese Junk Chinese Pirate Junk

Completed scratch built Korean Turtle ship 1/32 Turtle ship

Completed Santa Lucia Sicilian Cargo Boat 1/30 scale Santa Lucia

On hold. Bounty Occre 1/45

Completed HMS Victory by DeAgostini modelspace. DeAgostini Victory Cross Section

Completed H.M.S. Victory X section by Coral. HMS Victory cross section

Completed The Black Pearl fun build Black Queen

Completed A large scale Victory cross section 1/36 Victory Cross Section

Antony, What a great article, lots of good information there.

Thanks

Bob

Bob

The Bluenose plans that I have show a hook in the staple with a "dory tackle" rigged to it.  I think what S.os and Anthony provided fills out the the detail nicely.  You are probably fine to just install the staple and let it go at that.

Bob

Current build -- MS Bluenose

Future build - MS Flying Fish

"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for." - William G. T. Shedd

Thanks, Bob.

Bob

Anthony, my thanks also. I have not yet digested all the information but it will be of great use to me later.

Lots of barrels coming up in my next built and it will involve lowering a boat.

Jay

Current build Cross Section USS Constitution  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10120-cross-section-forward-area-of-the-uss-constitution/

Finished USS Constitution:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/103-uss-constitution-by-modeler12/

'A picture is worth a  . . . . .'      More is better . . . .