J Boat Endeavour by fnkershner - Amati - 1:35

Well when you are getting frustrated with your current project there are only a few choices on what to do:

1. You could continue on. From My experience bad things happen in this situation

2. You could burn the model and give up

3. Or you could just put it away for a bit and turn to another project. :) The only downside of this is the evil stares from the admiral. and she says "Another project?!!"

Elsewhere on this site there is another log of this wonderful kit. Seeing that build reminded me what was on my shelf. One thing led to another and now you will see the results.

Being a huge fan of America's Cup I just had to have a nice kit of a famous boat from that series. I think this is one of the most beautiful boats there is.

So without Further ado I give you the Endeavour!

post-1088-0-14251400-1393204019_thumb.jpg

Current Builds - 18th Century Longboat, MS Syren

Completed Builds - MS Bluenose, Panart BatteStation Cross section, Endevour J Boat Half Hull, Windego Half Hull, R/C T37 Breezing Along, R/C Victoria 32, SolCat 18

On the shelf - Panart San Felipe, Euromodel Ajax, C.Mamoli America, 

Its a sailor's Life for me! :10_1_10:

So let me share some of my first impressions of this kit. First off have I said this boat is a monster? She is very big! I am looking forward to a lot of nice detail.

The pictures below are the result of about 90 min of tinkering. All of the parts fit together vary nicely with almost no sanding. You will note that the laser burn marks are still evident. What you see in these pictures is also almost completely without glue. Everything is snug and tight. It to some force to get it together, but I am ready for sanding and fairing.

The plans are excellent. The instruction are good. They could be a bit more detailed, but they come in several pamphlets. One for each language. I forgot to mention that each bundle of planking is labeled! With dimensions and what it is to be used for. I have not seen this on any other model. The labels are in 4 languages.

PS you will note the mat it is laying on is 33 inches wide! This is a whale of a model. Not sure what the admiral will say when I try to display it in the living room.

post-1088-0-80193200-1393204511_thumb.jpg

post-1088-0-16035200-1393204521_thumb.jpg

Edited by Floyd Kershner

Completed Builds - MS Bluenose, Panart BatteStation Cross section, Endevour J Boat Half Hull, Windego Half Hull, R/C T37 Breezing Along, R/C Victoria 32, SolCat 18

Yes that is one of the options in the design. But I already have 2 R/C boats. So I am going to leave this one for display only.

She is a big one, looking good! :cheers:

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

I am Saving planking for Dr. Per. I hope he has a remedy.

Floyd, you sly devil!  Starting a second build right under the Admirals eye.  I am looking at the "Flying Fish" box right now with great longing.  I will be following along with this one, she has such wonderful lines.  BTW, there is a 4th option - that is to do nothing at all for months at a time and call it "pondering the next steps".

Bob

Current build -- MS Bluenose

Future build - MS Flying Fish

"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for." - William G. T. Shedd

Yes that is one of the options in the design. But I already have 2 R/C boats. So I am going to leave this one for display only.

Floyd,  I have seen some beautiful prize winning scale models that were RC.  So build her with the RC options. Someday you may want to sail her. 

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Bob - I have spent about 2 years doing the 4th option. So now I want to have fun with a relatively easy model.

And yes I plan on painting her. No unpainted or uncoppered hulls for this guy! You might see my planking!! :o

Yes, Floyd.  That's why I paint mine.

Bob

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

Floyd, what're yu using for a shop these days? Nice project BTW. I'm back on my Golden Hind,no not that one, the ship model. A friend offered to buy it if I finished it. Turned out his wife wants it. BILL

Bill, in Idaho

Completed Mamoli Halifax and Billings Viking ship in 2015

Next  Model Shipways Syren

Bill - Unfortunately we sold the house so I don't have my personal piece of heaven in the forest. But in the new place. The Admiral was kind enough to allow me to set up a work table in the Office/Bedroom. As log as I promised there would be no sawdust. All sanding and power tools are in the Garage.

Will enjoy following this monster along Floyd, there was a slightly smaller completed hull only (mast was a stump to just above the gooseneck but had the boom too) model of this beast in a local antique store about 1 year ago, green painted on red below waterline with  brass fittings and boy was she pretty!! couldn't say if she was from a kit or not, but I've seen some special models over the years and she would be ranked amongst them!

Best of Luck with Endeavour

Eamonn

Current Build   :  HM Schooner Ballahoo

In the Pipeline :  HM Cutter Sherbourne, HM Mortar Convulsion, Emma C Berry & C18th English Longboat.. Eventually That Is..🙄

So here is an update on my progress.

First a couple of comments -

1. I decided to dispense with the drop keel. It only detracts form the wonderful lines.

2. As discussed in Sailor's log the instructions are very unclear about the first row of planking. but it appears we both agree that it should be flush with the false deck. There is a double wide strip that lays on the edge of the deck that will cover the seam.

3. I had a slight wow in the keel. And thanks to a house call from Dr. Per I discovered the problem before it was difficult to fix.

4. I had to add material to both sides of 5 bulkheads so that the first plank was flush.

5. I should also mention I plan to paint all of the hull. and there will be no 2nd layer of planking. Easy Peasy.

So without further delay -

post-1088-0-93566000-1393900046_thumb.jpg

post-1088-0-51663000-1393900059_thumb.jpg

post-1088-0-29714400-1393900068_thumb.jpg

Edited by Floyd Kershner

Good looking start Floyd.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

It's starting to take shape.

Bob

Since I only use CA for spot welding. it goes slow. But I am ok with that. While I wait for the glue and planks to dry out. I focus on other stuff. Still it is about 5 planks every 30 min or so.

Floyd,

Nice progress, I took a last look at her before I left this morning, and saw additional two wet planks in place.

BTW, next time you go out to the model, don't burn the bacon in the skillet. :P

Respectfully

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

During the "house call" at Floyd's Shipyard I was able to catch the man in the action...... sort off :D

In the background his lovely dog Willow but also the J-yacht Endeavour.

post-967-0-62807700-1394254156_thumb.jpg

This picture is good to give the idea of the sheer size of the yacht.

post-967-0-97921300-1394255265_thumb.jpg

Floyd in action adding planks to the bulb and first two flush with deck.

The bulb planks measure 2x2mm while the regular planks are 1x4mm, that will result with a lot of sanding to get a uniformed side.

post-967-0-64525700-1394255589_thumb.jpg

Respectfully

Thanks Per! Good pictures except for that grey haired guy. When did he get so old? Do let me know when you are up for another house call. We accomplished a lot and had some great music. It was a wonderful weekend!

For the rest of my viewers. I was assigned a very demanding project the day Dr. Per left. So the planking has slowed. But I do at least 4 planks a day. The new project if successful will create over 1000 jobs in many countries for my company. So I am working 12 hr. days and 7 days a week for a couple of weeks. I will post pics as soon as there is something significant to report.

Also look who just achieved the rank of Captain. I think that extra stripe look pretty good. :)

Edited by Floyd Kershner

Doris - I am a mere mortal compared to your excellent work! Thanks for stopping by.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so here is a progress report and a couple of questions. Just so you don't think I am not working on her.

post-1088-0-70741100-1395118425_thumb.jpg

post-1088-0-03874000-1395118491_thumb.jpg

Edited by Floyd Kershner

I do like these yacht hulls they are so sculptural. looks like you will have the planking done in no time at all Floyd.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Mike - I understand. But in this case the kit is designed for this. There is a double frame in the middle. The hull is so long it takes 2 planks to reach from bow to stern.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow Floyd, where will you keep it? That's such a beautiful looking hull shape. I'm looking forward to seeing it rigged.

Keep at it (then back to your Harvey).

Blackie

Current build: Amati Shamrock V 1:80

Past Builds: Kits: Schooner for Port Jackson, MSY and St Lucia (Tartane), Panart, Modified Harvey, AL

Scratch: Captain Cook III Pilot Steamer, Kookaburra II motor launch, Sydney Heritage Fleet Steam Tug Waratah

Blackie - The best part about this one is I am going to paint her so only 1 layer of planking. I expect to have all of the planking done in the next 2 weeks. Then it will be lots of sanding.