Chinese Trading Junk by marktime - Finished

A long time ago in a Modelshipworld forum far, far away ...I started a scratch build based on Amati's pirate junk. All went well and I was enjoying the challenge of a first scratch build until, until.... I used 17th century furniture to support the upper deck railings. I actually thought they looked rather neat, especially as I spent an ice age ensuring they were equidistant. :huh:

Not so, said my mentors. :10_1_10:Take them off and do it again. 

So after 6 years or so of muttering, I've done the deed, ripped out the old and replaced them with something more vernacular.

So here's the restart. All comments more than welcome.

post-758-0-95545900-1393270996_thumb.jpg

Al "San Fransisco I ", Bashed Al "Santa Maria", Scratch-built  Chinese Trading Junk

In the sailmaker's loft

One of the problems at working at this scale, 1:100 is to keep things in proportion. For example, using 5 mm dia. material for the main mast means it would  be a 5 metre diameter mast at deck level!

I used placemat material as pictured to make the battens.

post-758-0-48105600-1393272118_thumb.jpg

post-758-0-20880600-1393272121_thumb.jpg

post-758-0-95496000-1393272125_thumb.jpg

Al "San Fransisco I ", Bashed Al "Santa Maria", Scratch-built  Chinese Trading Junk

Hey, Mark. Nice to see another junk. Have a question, though: from where came that figurehead? I ask cause I didn´t see any figureheads on junks till now.

Vivian's question about figureheads prompts me to talk about the stern decoration of junks. Many of the hundreds of illustrations of Chinese junks that you can view on the internet show an enormous range of stern decoration,and the bigger the junk, the more ornate the artistry.

Not being an artist of any merit, I used a modified Amati pattern and coloured it with poster paints. I used a monstrous face as anyone who has spent time in the Far East will know that Chinese art falls into two broad categories, either delicate washes in watercolour and ink or brightly coloured monstrous figures of demons or dragons. My attempt falls into the latter "school" but that presents a problem of coordinating the colours with the Walnut, Pear and Sapele used in the hull construction.

My solution was to paint the lower hull off-white (actually "cotton white" whatever that is) and frame the stern decoration in the same colour. I think it successfully links the two elements. What do you think?

post-758-0-55899600-1393455059_thumb.jpg

Mainsail Rigging

I've followed Arne Kverneland's scheme in rigging this junk.

http://www.junkrigassociation.org/Resources/Documents/Arne%20Kverneland%27s%20files/Junk%20Rig%20for%20Beginners.pdf

I rigged in the following order:

• Batten parrels
  • Halyard hoist
  • Sheetlets and euphroe
  • Tack line and tack parrel
  • Yard hauling parrel
  • Lazy jacks
  • An extra clew line to create tension on the rigging

The stay on the mizzen mast is a temporary feature.

post-758-0-63320400-1393969884_thumb.jpg

post-758-0-60302500-1393969895_thumb.jpg

post-758-0-70285700-1393969910_thumb.jpg

Beautiful  model you got there Mark. I Like the painting you made on the stern. I read your essay on the junk grade for your boat.

Have you ever experimented with the Yuloh?

S.os

New Bedford Whaleboat build. Kit by Model Shipways

I've been making progress on my model and according to the instruction booklet I should be painting it, at least parts of it.

Are acrylic's ok ? I did apply a sanding sealer. but I want to stain the untreated floor boards which are walnut.

Thanks

S.O.S.

That's an interesting concept, S.os. but no, that's one experiment I haven't tried. Thanks for thumbs to you and others.

Will be a challenge when I come to the mizzen sail as I don't yet see how the sheetlets can be operated, It might be that there is a different way to rig the mizzen. Anyone know or have a source?

Hi Mark.

One word...Excellent.

Love this build log.

Regards Antony.

Best advice ever given to me."If you don't know ..Just ask.

Completed Mayflower

Completed Fun build Tail boat Tailboat

Completed Build Chinese Junk Chinese Pirate Junk

Completed scratch built Korean Turtle ship 1/32 Turtle ship

Completed Santa Lucia Sicilian Cargo Boat 1/30 scale Santa Lucia

On hold. Bounty Occre 1/45

Completed HMS Victory by DeAgostini modelspace. DeAgostini Victory Cross Section

Completed H.M.S. Victory X section by Coral. HMS Victory cross section

Completed The Black Pearl fun build Black Queen

Completed A large scale Victory cross section 1/36 Victory Cross Section

• 1 month later...

First of all, thanks for encouragement from Aussie, Senior ole salt and AntonyUK and all who ticked "Like this".

Rigging finished except for Sampan and port and starboard companionway rigging.

Then on to make and rig anchors.

I'm thinking of donating this model to a model supplies shop here in Tenerife.Three have closed because of the recession so I would hope that seeing a finished model in their shop window might encourage others to take up the hobby and support this last shop that is teetering along.

Might put a load of tea chests on the deck as these cargo junks brought tea in to load the clippers.

Click on the images for a larger version.

post-758-0-28438200-1397070403_thumb.jpg

post-758-0-72794700-1397070406_thumb.jpg

post-758-0-74862400-1397070409_thumb.jpg

post-758-0-89593500-1397070412_thumb.jpg

post-758-0-98617800-1397070415_thumb.jpg

post-758-0-16951700-1397070419_thumb.jpg

Edited by marktime

• 3 weeks later...

what a delight to see this junk Marktime,

yery fine built and an exotic enrichment to this Forum

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Hello mark.

WOW. Turned out to be a fantastic model and the detail is first class.

Regards Antony.

Best advice ever given to me."If you don't know ..Just ask.

Completed Mayflower

Completed Fun build Tail boat Tailboat

Completed Build Chinese Junk Chinese Pirate Junk

Completed scratch built Korean Turtle ship 1/32 Turtle ship

Completed Santa Lucia Sicilian Cargo Boat 1/30 scale Santa Lucia

On hold. Bounty Occre 1/45

Completed HMS Victory by DeAgostini modelspace. DeAgostini Victory Cross Section

Completed H.M.S. Victory X section by Coral. HMS Victory cross section

Completed The Black Pearl fun build Black Queen

Completed A large scale Victory cross section 1/36 Victory Cross Section

Beautiful work with wonderful details. Congratulations on finishing her.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 2 months later...

Only just saw your log. IMO the problem with many models I have seen of junks is that they do not capture the "Chinese" feel, but yours does that really well. I love the sails and the stern ornamentation as well as all the little details that you put in there. Well done!

Regards, Keith

gallery_1526_572_501.jpg 2007 (completed): HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina  gallery_1526_579_484.jpg 2013 (completed): Viking Ship Drakkar - Amati  post-1526-0-02110200-1403452426.jpg 2014 (completed): HMS Bounty Launch - Model Shipways

post-1526-0-63099100-1404175751.jpg Current: HMS Royal William - Euromodel