HMS Victory by shihawk - FINISHED - Billing Boats - 1:75

True Keith ,and the thought of all those gunports  might make me change my mind AGAIN ??? Think maybe i have enough on my plate at present so will put this idea on the back boiler untill i have present build in the glass case . Although i could go for closed gun ports ?

Hi Boyd

I have just had a very enjoyable read through your log.I must say that the stripes through different woods is the approach I would adopt should I tackle Victory.I must say that is some wonderfully clean  sharp planking and woodwork in general B) .I have little experience working with some of the more unusual timbers CMB seem to stock these days,but the traditional Pear,box and ebony command exorbitant premiums in the UK so I can understand your reasoning behind your choices.I really like the mellow tones you have achieved with your timber selection B) The best way I found when determining post varnished timber colours before applying finish,is to lay the strips out and wipe them all over with a white spirit soaked rag.This simulates as near as possible the varnished colours.To be honest,I gave up on Mordaunt as cutting Pear planks from the same strip still results in massive variations in tone,some planks even change colour half way along!!

Kind Regards

Nigel 

Edited by NMBROOK

Currently working on Royal Caroline

Thanks for looking in Nigel ,Im sure you noticed in my log that i continualy change things as well as my mind ! But i must admit i,m really enjoying this build although the fact i have no fixed plans and am making it up as i go along means progress is very slow the lack of restrictions of having to achive an authentic build means anything goes as long as i like the finished look  The wood has been a problem but i have learned a lot for future builds , color variation seems to be a universal problem and as you say even individual strips can change considerably over a 1 meter length and have found 0.3 mm variation in width of a 3 mm strip !!!  Lesson learned and although to late for a lot of this build various solutions come to mind for the next  . thanks for the tip on white spirit , i had just been wetting with a damp cloth but dried out very quick , I have almost finished my countless variations on the gunports and hull planking and if nothing else gets changed i hope to post a few pics of my final attempt in about a weeks time , Am looking forward to moving on to a different part of the build as i seem to have been recutting cutting gunports for months ,and they still aren,t all square !!! thanks for your kind comments and feel free to offer any advice or opinions .

Boyd 

Edited by shihawk

Out with the old and in with the new  . As with so many parts of my build i usualy do things more than once and the latest casualty is my gratings and stairs which was my first attempt at scratch building ,the more i looked at it i knew i could do better and it looked stained or badly painted and just not right .So as a change from gunports i removed one of the gratings and replaced the stairs using different wood but using the same basic method ,Before doing the other one i took a pic just to show the difference ,i think the colors blend in better with the rest of the build and although it won,t really be seen it gives me a better idea of what i want for more visible stairways 

post-7919-0-22566000-1408482124_thumb.jpg

post-7919-0-41494700-1408482171_thumb.jpg

New one on the right !!!

While i had camera in hand ithought i,d show progress on galleries ,i managed to realign the decorations and although noticeable close up was the best i could manage ,will be more carefull on other side 

post-7919-0-07351300-1408482531_thumb.jpg

post-7919-0-39201600-1408482569_thumb.jpg

Can,t do the bottom windows until i finish the other side as some of the strips run the whole way around and may need to be line up

Can anyone enlighten me as to what kind of door would been fitted and was it flush with the hull or stepped in slightly ,any pictures i found showed a dark void which made me think the door is further in than i have it shown in the pics 

post-7919-0-40286900-1408483203_thumb.jpg

post-7919-0-25508400-1408483241_thumb.jpg

Hello Boyd looking good- the door issue has been puzzling me too! Nice work with the ladders and decoration re-alignment too. Doing my quarter galleries from the bottom up- used strips cut from a sheet of limewood for mine- will hopefully have first lot finished ,sanded and photo's on my log soon.

Keith

Hi william ,when you say there isn,t one do you mean in the kit ?? cause surely in the real ship there has to be a door or some sort . i never intended to be authentic but felt that although the kit didn,t mention one there must have been something to keep the water out ??

mckays book shows the entry port without a door, and as she is now in dry dock there is no door. having said that i have only ever seen the entry port on the victory in dry dock, every single photo and painting previous to this shows her without an entry port ?? but thats a whole new ball game !!

Edited by williamDB

• 1 month later...

Finally ready for a quick update , work time has been scarce but i have been working at the galleries and hope it has been worth it .My resent obcession with buying a new saw was partly brought on by trying to cut the strips for window frames ,it,s hard to get them even cutting with a blade !!! So finished my last one to-night although looking at the pics i may have to redo a few but will decide after cleaning up and varnishing , it,s been like a small model on it,s own , Think i might order brass scrolls etc as those provided are crap ,if they had been anything only ply i could maybe have done something with them but you get what you pay for !!

post-7919-0-92041200-1412199043_thumb.jpg

post-7919-0-62941100-1412199202_thumb.jpg

post-7919-0-93732100-1412199378_thumb.jpg

post-7919-0-19467700-1412199533_thumb.jpg

post-7919-0-57132400-1412199609_thumb.jpg

post-7919-0-17488700-1412199703_thumb.jpg

Winter arrives this weekend so hopefully more build progress 

Thanks all for the kind words ,I,m glad you like it cause if you hadn,t i sure wouldn,t have been re-doing it . Others have built complete kits quicker but it was the only way i could get the effect i had in my head , so right or wrong it will have to do I wonder what the next stage will bring??

Finally got a couple of days working on my build though spent a bit of time working out a new timber order and a flexy for my Dremil type drill , might try carving the stern decoration and see how i get on . can always buy them if it dosn,t work out .Finished planking the stern and gave it a coat of varnish to see how it looks and discovered at least one plank will have to be replaced due to color 

post-7919-0-36600700-1412631320_thumb.jpg

Got around to trying out my blacking product ,not a great success on the brass cannons but more acceptable on some copper eyelets 

post-7919-0-19826900-1412631344_thumb.jpg

post-7919-0-81391100-1412631367_thumb.jpg

All that dipping in vinegar ,washing in de-ionised water and rinsing in baking soda seems a lot of work just to achieve a metal finish especially as the results are so unpredictable,so i stuck on a couple of coats of Tamiya gun metal paint with a brush to see how it would look and think it,s better 

post-7919-0-97805400-1412631396_thumb.jpg

finished of one cannon to see how it looks before mass production begins ,Not bad but i ordered some Caseys gun black to-day and will try it before i do any more 

post-7919-0-14777400-1412631422_thumb.jpg

post-7919-0-46207100-1412631444_thumb.jpg

Spent to-night looking at the bow and i will probably have to replace a lot of the ply parts especially those that will be more noticable . Is ply really that cheap that they had to use for everything  ?? Will sign of now cause i said i wouldn,t complain any more !!!!

Edited by shihawk

So the carving of my own stern decorations was a lovely thought but with my lack of carving skills and knowledge not practical , i won,t even post a pic of my efforts . so im returning to Keiths solution of buying the 1:78 brass ones from CMB ,when they get them back in stock !! I then had a revelation that maybe i should leave all the brass parts unpainted and posted the question about painting brass bits but on further examination of the parts provided several will need a few modifications so painting or blackining will be necessary.  My worry is that if i change my mind it,s practically impossible to paint some of the smaller parts when fitted . I do like the look of the natural brass with wood and hope to leave at least some that way 

Rudder completed  ,tryed caseys brass black and thought i had succeeded but a lot of it seemed to rub off the straps while fitting but the aged effect is to my liking so will let it be . The rudder supplied was sanded down a couple of mm and then vinered , in hindsight i should have completely remade it with 4x4 but again it,s turned out acceptable so i can live with it 

post-7919-0-67487400-1413410301_thumb.jpg

post-7919-0-10759300-1413410269_thumb.jpg

post-7919-0-55127900-1413410163_thumb.jpg

post-7919-0-65836500-1413410208_thumb.jpg

post-7919-0-97783300-1413410128_thumb.jpg

Finally ordered the brass decor set plus some lettering and when it arrives i will hopefully get the stern finished . Have moved on to the bows area and again because i,m not painting most ply parts will have to be replaced ,decided to start with the cat heads and work my way forward ,will make everything and dry fit the complete bow area as it,s going to get complicated getting all the curved wood work to meet up ,been searching other logs to pic up any info possible but still finding it a challange , but enjoyable  .May not finish up like the real one but if it looks good i,ll be happy 

post-7919-0-82910100-1414016556_thumb.jpg

post-7919-0-28765800-1414016582_thumb.jpg

post-7919-0-27017000-1414016610_thumb.jpg

post-7919-0-92853100-1414016646_thumb.jpg

post-7919-0-70763800-1414016677_thumb.jpg

As i said still dry fitting to find where every thing fits best 

just re read your build- lovely work,

do you have some more pictures of the stern area, from your photo, the stern gun ports look at a very acute angle, no criticism is intended - again lovely work

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat