HMS Winchelsea by Rustyj - POB 1/64 - 1764 - 32 Gun Frigate

The good news is....nobody can see more than one side at a time. :)

Seriously...It looks very good.  Well done Rusty.

Nicely done, mate.  Knowing you, 'slight variation' means imperceptible!

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Hi Ben,

Is it an issue with the planking or the framing?? I also notice that the pics seem to show 4 runs of planking landing on the same bulkhead

I think it is a bit of both on my part where I didn't duplicate the run of the gun ports on both sides as close as

I thought I did and then the laying of the planking may have had some minor creep to it too. We're talking

1/32" to 3/64". The good part is the run of the planks is uniform at the top of the frames.

The planks all landing on the one frame were due to my error in laying the first few rows at the bow I mentioned

awhile ago and instead of ripping off all the planks I only went back to the point that the run went astray. This part

will be covered by the second layer of planking so I took the easiest route to correct it.

Thanks Chuck. Having a lot of fun here when I can get some free time.  B) 

Hi Augie, Thanks, imperceptible it's not, but acceptable it is . Once she's done 95% will be covered or blocked anyways! ;) 

Thanks everyone for all the "likes" too it is appreciated.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: Speedwell

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

It looks better than "acceptable " to me Rusty. Well done.

Bob

I quite agree with Bob.   Lovely work.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thank you Bob and Mark. Much appreciated.

Well I've commenced with adding the wales. The second layer is 1/16" x 5/32" just like

the first layer of planking. The black strake is 1/32" x 5/32". At the bow the black strake

is sanded down to 1/64" thick while the wales well be left slightly thicker than that.

post-43-0-42961400-1405726687_thumb.jpg

post-43-0-70354200-1405726689_thumb.jpg

The anchor lining was traced onto the wales and black strake. The lining over the wales is

1/32" thick while the portion over the black strake is 1/16".

post-43-0-07613500-1405726691_thumb.jpg

Here all but the piece over the black strake have been added.

post-43-0-75274400-1405726692_thumb.jpg

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Very impressive work Rusty. Really a nice job.

Jim L

What we ever hope to do with ease, we must learn first to do with diligence. - Samuel Johnson

On the Building Ways:                           Launched:                                                 Contracts Signed:                    Member:

The Nautical Research Guild

The US Naval Institute

Thank you very much Joe, Bob, Ben and Jim and to everyone who posted a like too!

Ben, I didn't mix up the wood types but I could have as it's going to be painted. All

throughout the wales I used some old pieces I had left over and cut them up. The

colors varied greatly from gray/brown to light brown and grainy looking. I figured it

was a good place to use up some "scrap" boxwood up.

Here is the anchor lining done. On this side you will noticed I took a lazy way out. The

top piece over the black strake was about a 1/64" too narrow and seeing again that it's

going to be painted I just left the gap and filled it. :o

post-43-0-57646100-1405870631_thumb.jpg

Now the directions call for painting the wales now prior to planking the hull. My thought

is I'm a rough hull planker as I put in my lap, tip it upside down ect. I usually scratch the

paint all up and have to repaint it. So I'm just going to apply one thin coat just to see if

any imperfections show up and then fix them.

Then it's on to laying out the planking belts for the hull, mill the wood and then plank it.

That will be good for 2-3 months of cussing. ;) 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

I'll lay you dollars to donuts that you won't leave it at one coat.  The appearance at that point will disturb you and you won't want to leave it that way for 3 months !!!!!

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

I agree with Augie on this.  We know you too well.... :)

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hey Augie and Mark:   :o     :blush:     :P

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

I guess the only question is will it be 3 coats or 10????

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

No way I can do 20. I'm not as patient as Chuck and others. 10 would be my maximum.

I guess we'll have to figure the over under on this one!  :rolleyes:

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Chuck???  It's Ben who holds the land speed record for # of coats!  He's even gotten me up to 10 --- and I used to use a roller.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Very nice progress Rusty; haven't poked my nose in for awhile and was very pleasantly surprised.

Go on - just one more 'wafer thin' coat' won't hurt :)

Cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

OK I've been continuing my work on the wales and black strake. The first picture you

will see one coat of black paint applied.

post-43-0-72503400-1406379295_thumb.jpg

I then went over the wales sanding some and taking care of a couple of joints that weren't

as tight as I thought they were. Just put a dab of glue on the crack and sanded it.

post-43-0-67554300-1406379297_thumb.jpg

And here you see it with a second "wafer thin" coat of paint. So far that is it! :P

post-43-0-51790600-1406379299_thumb.jpg

I'll be spending the next few days trying to lay out the run of the planks and not bugging

Chuck to much while doing it.  ;) 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Voila ..... total transformation!  Beautiful.

I'll PM you my home address to collect my donuts for the 'more than one coat' wager.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

How many coats of paint did this take? Sounds like only 2 or 3. :) Also did you thin the paint?

Current Builds - 18th Century Longboat, MS Syren

Completed Builds - MS Bluenose, Panart BatteStation Cross section, Endevour J Boat Half Hull, Windego Half Hull, R/C T37 Breezing Along, R/C Victoria 32, SolCat 18

On the shelf - Panart San Felipe, Euromodel Ajax, C.Mamoli America, 

Its a sailor's Life for me! :10_1_10:

Thanks for all your help Chuck!

Hi Bob, Thank you, you're too kind.

Thank you Greg.

Hi Augie, Still waiting for your address though they may be a bit stall by the time the post office gets them there.

Thanks Dirk.

Hi Floyd. So far just 2 coats though there will be many more before she's done. I use acrylic paint and thin it

about 50/50 with water. I'll eventually switch to artists paints in the tube like Chuck uses but I still have this black

paint left and I like it's matt finish.

Also thank you all for all the likes. It's very much appreciated.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B)