A Close Call

Hello all,

I just wanted to share an unpleasant experience that I had the other day.  I was soldering some metal fittings for my longboat.  I was using Stay-Brite solder and the flux that comes with this product.  While dispensing a drop of flux on to an applicator, the bottle shattered in my hand.  (See attached photo.) The liquid splashed on my nylon vest, my hands, my throat, and my face.  I immediately started experiencing a slight burning sensation where the flux had landed on my skin, which I immediately started rinsing with cold water.  The nylon vest was ruined.  It wasn’t until afterward that I noticed that some droplets had landed on the lenses of my Opti-Visor.  I consider myself very lucky.

post-2885-0-32311500-1393860190_thumb.jp

The bottle of flux which I was using was very old.  I’m guessing that I may have purchased it as much as 20 years ago.  The fact that the bottle shattered would lead me to believe that the plastic material had become brittle with age.  It just so happens that I had a second newer bottle, which I carefully squeezed.  The bottle appeared to be quite pliable.  Anyway, if you use this product, please be careful with it.  Eye protection is a definite must!

BobF

Thanks Bob for the heads up.  Glad you're OK.

S.os

New Bedford Whaleboat build. Kit by Model Shipways

I've been making progress on my model and according to the instruction booklet I should be painting it, at least parts of it.

Are acrylic's ok ? I did apply a sanding sealer. but I want to stain the untreated floor boards which are walnut.

Thanks

S.O.S.

Hello all,

I just wanted to share an unpleasant experience that I had the other day.  I was soldering some metal fittings for my longboat.  I was using Stay-Brite solder and the flux that comes with this product.  While dispensing a drop of flux on to an applicator, the bottle shattered in my hand.  (See attached photo.) The liquid splashed on my nylon vest, my hands, my throat, and my face.  I immediately started experiencing a slight burning sensation where the flux had landed on my skin, which I immediately started rinsing with cold water.  The nylon vest was ruined.  It wasn’t until afterward that I noticed that some droplets had landed on the lenses of my Opti-Visor.  I consider myself very lucky.

post-2885-0-32311500-1393860190_thumb.jp

The bottle of flux which I was using was very old.  I’m guessing that I may have purchased it as much as 20 years ago.  The fact that the bottle shattered would lead me to believe that the plastic material had become brittle with age.  It just so happens that I had a second newer bottle, which I carefully squeezed.  The bottle appeared to be quite pliable.  Anyway, if you use this product, please be careful with it.  Eye protection is a definite must!

BobF

Thanks the warning Bob,

glad you are OK, is the Producer still existing, you probably dropped him an email then.

I know from experience that These plastic materials (flux bottle) should not be exposed to sunlight, the material becomes brittle due to UV Radiation (20 years as you mentioned is a Long time anyhow)

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Sounds like you were very lucky there Bob! Glad to hear you are okay though. Thanks for the warning.

Thanks for posting your experience, Bob. I'm glad that you are OK and that it wasn't worse. We appreciate the heads up. Always wear safety gear - especially eye protection.

All plastics will become less pliable with age as the plasticizer changes chemically. This example seems unusually brittle. Of course, the contents may have influenced the rate of change in the plastic.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

All forms of plastic have waht is called a shelf life. At work all the plastic and polyurathane is dated. Depending on the type after the shelf live will become either brittle or soft or start felling like it wnats to melt but wont.

David B