Jim L's Echo cross section

Jim,

Looking good.  "Meat" is a relative term.  Some builders leave that whisper of wood, other leave a half a forest.  :D

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Jim, you wrote:

"A piece that early on was shown with great pride to friends and neighbors and anyone I met on the street doesn't pass muster a week later. I think that is called progress."

Indeed it is! I think most of us have experienced this. I cringe now when I think about my early work. It'll probably be the same a few years from now about my present models! Looks like you are coming along really well. Good stuff.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Excellent work, Jim! Wishing one's initial work was as good as their current work is a common theme amongst ship modelers (as it should be). I'll start to worry when I start wishing my future work was as good as it is now.

With regard to tolerances I leave just a thin sliver of white outside the pattern. There are so many variable when cutting and raising frames on the keel that I find it useful to leave myself room for error. Fairing is far simpler than replacing timbers that are a hair off, affecting the symmetry of the hull.

Greg

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

Mark, Druxey, Bob & Greg,

I found that missing DF0 and it was hidden for good reason. I recut the first futtocks for it and the chock last night and then assembled the three pieces. The joints are virtually invisible so I'm happy. I have to figure out how much will be covered by planking (and which parts) so that I can determine which fame components, although not perfect, are good enough since they won't be seen. I don't want to fall into the trap of constantly rebuilding each piece otherwise I'll never get to end-of-job on this.

Initially it was not my intention to go any farther than raising the 12 frames because I was approaching this as strictly a learning experience. As I get more into it, I am learning to naturally look ahead which is a critical skill if I want to take my ship building to a higher plateau. Continueing this build through planking and fitting out will continue that learning for me and has the added benefit of producing a nice looking model in the process (I've been following Maury's very impressive progress).

I hope to get a few more frames completed by the end of this coming weekend (more likely if the NE USA gets rain on Saturday) and then I'll have some more photos.

Jim L

What we ever hope to do with ease, we must learn first to do with diligence. - Samuel Johnson

On the Building Ways:                           Launched:                                                 Contracts Signed:                    Member:

The Nautical Research Guild

The US Naval Institute

Hi Jim,

It's a while since my last visit, work modeling skills are just excellent. Your C.S. is coming along nicely......

Thank You all...

Mario

:piratetongueor4:  :piratetongueor4:

"Each of us is a mixture of some good and some not so good qualities. In considering one's fellow man it's important to remember the good things ... We should refrain from making judgments just because a fella happens to be a dirty, rotten SOB(biscuit) ;) "

My Builds....

BETTEAU WAR OF 1812     BOUNTY LAUNCH(bashed)    CHESAPEAKE BAY FLATTIE

THE SEA of GALILEE BOAT   VICTORIAN STEAM LAUNCH(bashed)    HOWARD CHAPELLE's CRABBING SKIFF

LADY KATHRINE 1812 SCHOONER

• 2 weeks later...

This weekend I finished the last of the frames. 3-Aft was the hardest with the most significant cast.

post-21-0-38839800-1369006070_thumb.jpg

cast frames.jpg

Here is what they look like positioned on the keel. Some need more sanding than others before they can be raised and faired. I also have a lot of holes to drill for the treenails which I made on Saturday using boxwood.

post-21-0-34283800-1369006009_thumb.jpg

all frames. jpg

Jim L

What we ever hope to do with ease, we must learn first to do with diligence. - Samuel Johnson

On the Building Ways:                           Launched:                                                 Contracts Signed:                    Member:

The US Naval Institute

• 2 weeks later...

Slow progress but progress nonetheless.

All frames have been treenailed using .0032" boxwood treenails. What a pleasure using Jim Byrnes's drawplate. Each frame as a piece of basswood glued to the top. The centerline is drawn on this piece and that is used as a guide when I position the frames.

All frames have been sanded and one coat of sanding sealer applied to all the surfaces that will be impossible to get to once frames are raised. Speaking of raised frames, here are deadflat0 and deadflat1. The frames are attached to the keel using .0035" boxwood treenails and yellow wood glue.

post-21-0-99105100-1370304357_thumb.jpg

2_frames_a.jpg

post-21-0-60907200-1370304367_thumb.jpg

2_frames_b.jpg

As they say in the cartoons, "that's all folks".

Jim L

The US Naval Institute

Well, slow is good. It means that you are taking the time to be meticulous. And your photos bear out that theory! Looking good, Jim. As there have been no messages on this thread for a few days, I thought everyone had gone away for the summer. Glad to see it ain't so.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Thanks druxey. I WISH I had gone away but in my case work is what's keeping me out of the shipyard.

Jim L

The US Naval Institute

This week I finally raised the last of the frames! Broke one in the process through unintentional rough handling.

Next steps are to install blocks between the frames to stiffen things up a bit then I'll start fairing the hull. Fun times with sandpaper ahead.

post-21-0-87739000-1370818903_thumb.jpg

all_raised_frames_1

Looking through the frames you can see the start of my next project, A group build of Chuck Passaro's English Pinnace. A number of the members of the Ship Model Society of NJ are doing this as a group project.

post-21-0-64762700-1370818909_thumb.jpg

all_raised_frames_2

Greg, having the center line drawn on each (temporary) support goes a long way to keeping things lined up but even with that there will be a lot of sawdust generated.

Jim L

The US Naval Institute

Looking great Jim. Thanks for all of the great guidance!

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1/48  Duchess of Kingston

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Don't be afraid to start with 80 grit sandpaper and make flexible sanding strips as Druxey has recommended.  You'll actually feel as well as hear when you have completed fairing a section.

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

Hi druxey and Greg,

Thanks for the tips. I had actually started with 150 grit on a very old sanding block from X-Acto. The block is only about 4" long and I kept knocking one end or the other into frames - if I kept it up it would only be a matter of time before I broke something. Also, using 150 was pretty slow going and I began calculating in my head how old I'd be when I finally got finished. I'll put both of your tips to work tomorrow night when I get home from work.

Jim L

The US Naval Institute

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

Contrary to the rumors, I did NOT sail off the end of the earth although it's beginning to feel like I did. I've received several emails and PMs asking if I'm OK. Construction work on the house & shipyard have kept me out of the shop for weeks. Things are starting to settle down but the construction which should have ended on June 30 continues more than 2 weeks later.

The shipyard has a front and back door and the contractors have to walk through the shipyard with tools, wood, etc so for safe keeping my three projects (the very definition of insanity) have been moved upstairs and hopefully out of harms way. I hope to get back to work on my Bluenose, Echo and pinnace in about a week and will post photos soon thereafter.

Jim L

The US Naval Institute

Isn't that always the way with construction! A pain - but hopefully the results will be worth it!

hamilton

current builds: Corel HMS Bellona (1780)

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch)

under the bench: Admiralty Echo cross-section; MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

• 1 month later...

What does a flexible sanding stick look like?

Edited by Glenn

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

Hi Glenn,

Here are a couple sanding sticks that I have. The two smaller ones are store bought. They have a core that is a stiff foam and so they have a bit of give to them and you can flex them pretty easily.

The big guy is a wooden paint stirrer with 80 grit sand paper rubber cemented to it. I use this to fair the frames on my Echo cross section. It is long enough so that no end is ever inside the frames and the wood is very stiff so this sander does not flex at all.

I've also made sanding stick out of popsicle sticks using the same method of gluing the sand paper to the stick.

Hope this helps.

post-21-0-25301700-1378149223_thumb.jpg

Jim L

The US Naval Institute

Hi Jim,

I’ve used the foam center sanding sticks but never tried a paint stirrer before. Great idea.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1/48  Duchess of Kingston

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

I have the store bought versions as well.  I didn't consider them large enough for fairing, but I'm sure its a different for the Echo.  I just ordered the kit, looking forward to starting.

I agree with Rusty, the paint stirrer is a very creative approach.  Thanks for sharing the photos.

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

Jim,

Another method for sanding is to make a bow of sorts.  You take a sanding belt from a 1" belt sander like a delta and then you take a wood strip like a paint stirrer that is just a tad longer than the belt.  You stretch the belt around  the stick and now you have a flexible sanding bow.  One side is backed by the wood and the other is a flexible belt.  This idea was shown to me by one of our club members.  It works very well with little to no chance of getting the end of the stick stuck between frames.

Tom R

Tom Ruggiero

Director Nautical Research Guild

Member Ship Model Society of New Jersey (Past President)

• 4 weeks later...

Looks great Jim

John

Current Current Builds:

US Brig Niagara on my website

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

New Bedford Whaleboat - page on my Morgan Website:  http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com/whaleboat-build-log-by-john-fleming.html

C.W. Morgan - Model Shipways 1:64 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1785-cw-morgan-by-texxn5-johnf-ms-164-kit/

USS Constitution - Revell 1:96 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1796-uss-constitution-by-texxn5-johnf-revell-196-kit/

website US Brig Niagara Model http://www.niagaramodel.com

website Charles W Morgan Model http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com

website PROXXON DISCOUNT TOOL STORE http://proxxontoolsdiscount.com