US Brig Syren by Shazmira - Model Shipways - 1:64

Hi Robbyn, saw build log under the update list and thought I'd drop by. You've got a great start, especially the extra filler blocks. In hindsight I wish I would of done that. 

I too send my well wishes to your mom.

Richard

Current Build - U.S. Syren

2nd Build - HMS Bounty Launch

When organizing your thoughts, never use the Dewey Decimal system.

I do admire your determination Robbyn, well done.

I am sure it will help you through the comming months too.

Steve

She's turning into a beauty, Robbyn. Well done!

I'm a few steps behind you so I'm looking at your log often to see if I'm overlooking something. I guess getting the run of the temporary strip right is what will make or break the look of the ship in many way. I'll be spending a fair bit of time on that I guess!

Current Build: US Brig Syren, Model Shipways, 1:64

Future Build:  Friesland, Mamoli 1:75 / Alfred, The LumberYard, 1/8

Marsares, I can't stress how important it is to get the correct sweep of that temporary batten. Everything you do regarding the hull follows what you do on that step, so take your time and get it right the first time!!

Robbyn

If you risk nothing, you risk everything!

Current builds

Syren (Model Shipways) version 2.0

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

18th Century Longboat designed by Chuck Passaro

In the closet

Battle Station

Al Charles Morgan (1980s version)

Hi Robbyn, sorry I'm late to join in following your re-build, I too have been busy and kinda distracted.  My prayers are also out on behalf of your mother.  I know from persona; experience what's going on in her mind.  I am now also undergoing treatment for my second cancer, this time bladder.  But things look up and I'm not too concerned.

Your build is beginning to look really spiffy and remembering the past errors seems to be helpful.  Keep a stiff upper lip and stay in good health.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

• 2 weeks later...

Finally a bit of an update, had spring break this past week and I took a break from life in a way. Got all sorts of little things done around the house I had been putting off for 9 months, managed to get all my aftermarket accessories (windshield, saddle bags etc) put on my new Harley...now just waiting for nice weather so I can start riding!

In the midst of a week of relaxation, I did manage to get a bit of building done  :D

Got all the gun port framing completed

post-127-0-42898600-1395627803_thumb.jpg

Finished the stern framing

post-127-0-74333200-1395627821_thumb.jpg

I think I managed to get everything faired correctly this time

post-127-0-33218500-1395627847_thumb.jpg

And the upper planking has begun!!! This time I taped together 7 small strips of planking and ran it along the top wale (before gluing it in place) to make sure I had the proper curvature. 

post-127-0-57128100-1395627863_thumb.jpg

this is where I messed up the first time, you can see below that my wale at the bow was almost 1/2 inch too low, notice how the planking was not "up" where it should have been

post-127-0-24436200-1395628130_thumb.jpg

Robbyn

Current builds

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

In the closet

Battle Station

Ah... good beginnings.  Or maybe it's re-beginnings.  Looks great, Robbyn.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

As Douglas Adams said, "You live and learn, well at any rate you live"

You are definately learning so much, keep it coming please..

Steve

Nice to see an update Robbyn. I totally understand how life can get in the way sometimes. Looks like your new hull is taking shape nicely - well done.

Be careful on that bike of yours - just had a phone call from an old friend this evening. He's in hospital after crashing his bike in the Snowy Mountains on the weekend. Not the way he'd planned to experience his first ever helicopter flight!

I'm glad to see V2.0 is meeting your expectations! We all learn a lot more from the bigger mistakes than the smaller ones!

My mantra became " check the bloody plans more often!! "

Glad to see you moving forward.

Ben

Hey Robbyn, looking good. You are right back up with me. I finished the starboard side upper planking and am almost done on the port side. I have to get some pictures up on my log. I counted upwards of 60 seperate pieces on my startboard side. Lots of pieces, lots of time. I sure have learned a lot though. However, the starboard side will be the wall side on my Syren. I guess that means I have to start everything on the starboard side just to work the kinks out :D

Charley

Charley I too am going to have a wall side...seems no matter how many times I redo things I still end up with one side better than the other  :P

Robbyn

Current builds

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

In the closet

Battle Station

Then you're doing well.......I usually have 4 wall sides  :)

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Standard procedure Robbyn, the trick is to get all the wall side stuff on the same side. It usually tends to work out though.

So I have managed to make a little sawdust since my last update. Got the upper planking complete on both sides. Still have a bit more sanding to do, and need to touch up a bit of my paint on the interior faces of the gun ports. Much happier this time around in the result! 

Kieth, yes, I am teaching again this summer, but at least this year those classes are already developed so it should be less stressful on that front. On the other hand I was asked to pick up two online 16 week courses for eduKan (the Kansas college consortium) they pay really well for those courses, but now I will spend my summer getting them fully developed and up and running for the fall semester.

post-127-0-41396400-1396567560_thumb.jpg

Robbyn

Current builds

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

In the closet

Battle Station

Off to a nice start. My sister teaches in Waterloo special needs children. When she comes home she is up half the night doing school work for the next days classes.

David B